cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer sends me return request, but claims only the packaging was damaged, not the contents.

I recently sold a statue collectible valued at $700 with a $200 shipping cost. After receiving the package, the buyer sent me a return request under the reason 'arrived damaged'. But then proceeded to say that only the boxes and foam packaging was damaged. The contents were not damaged. The photos they sent me showed one 3-4'' puncture in the outer shipper box, inner art box, and into the packing foam, but no damage to the contents. This is the first time I've ever had such a request when the item itself wasn't damaged. I purchased my UPS shipping label outside of Ebay on my own UPS account, with full insurance. I called UPS, and they said I could file a claim, but basically admitted that if the contents are not damaged, a refund would be unlikely. I went ahead and filed a UPS insurance claim since the buyer filed the return request as a damaged shipping claim. When I called eBay, they said I have seller protection since it was filed as a shipping damage claim, but the return request doesn't leave me with many options. They also said damage to the packaging does not equate with the item being damaged. I was told to call back in a few days when my response deadline to the buyer's return request is due, to see if the buyer shows proof that the item was damaged. This really just seems like a case of buyer's remorse, trying to return the item under false pretenses. If I issue a return label and the buyer sends the item back, it voids the UPS insurance claim. If I send the buyer a refund and let them keep the item, I highly doubt they will be cooperative with a subsequent UPS inspection.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Buyer sends me return request, but claims only the packaging was damaged, not the contents.

I've seen several sold listings for this item that have sold this year with boxes in worse condition than this one was after UPS damaged it. So no, that's not accurate. I think one of the main takeaways from this whole situation is that sellers are at the full mercy of buyers, especially when it comes to shipping damage. Shipping insurance is basically useless, since you have to refund the buyer (either partially, or in full), or pay for return shipping, before any insurance claim can be conducted by the shipping carrier. I don't expect to be selling on this platform again.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

Re: Buyer sends me return request, but claims only the packaging was damaged, not the contents.

Probably a good thing, all things considered.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 32 of 36
latest reply

I'm not sure how much experience you have with the statue collecting community

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not familiar, but if I received a $900 collectible item with any form of damage, I would return it.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

@elibolonese9784 

You're right, but consider this, you buy a graded collectible coin in case, then you find out the case has a crack, nothing wrong with the coin, but the presentation. Would you keep it?

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

I think that's comparing apples to oranges, since statues are not graded like coins or comics. On these items, packaging damage doesn't impact value very much unless the contents are damaged. And like I said in an earlier post, almost every shipping box receives damage upon arrival. Many art boxes do too. This has been the case for me after receiving over a hundred statues over the years. If the buyer had received this item directly from a distributor and asked to return it over packaging damage, he would have to pay for return shipping. If he asked a distributor for a partial refund for the same reason, they would probably laugh at him. And don't get hung up by the term 'art box'. Most collectors are not even displaying these gigantic boxes with the statues in their homes. They take up too much space anyway. They're usually stored in a garage, collecting dust.  

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

This thing about shipping boxes interests me.

Should I assume these are mass produced items, like Barbies, where the packaging is part of the "collectibility" and not actual original works of art.

Because with original pieces the box it comes in is made only to keep the piece secure in transit. Even if that's just from the gallery to the buyer's car to their home.
I'm not talking about any certificates here.

Even cast pieces purchased more or less directly from the artist, where there are multiple copies, usually have only certificates (and bills of sale)  for provenance.

Not specially printed boxes like this for the maquette .

Like thisLike this

Message 36 of 36
latest reply