cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer sends me return request, but claims only the packaging was damaged, not the contents.

I recently sold a statue collectible valued at $700 with a $200 shipping cost. After receiving the package, the buyer sent me a return request under the reason 'arrived damaged'. But then proceeded to say that only the boxes and foam packaging was damaged. The contents were not damaged. The photos they sent me showed one 3-4'' puncture in the outer shipper box, inner art box, and into the packing foam, but no damage to the contents. This is the first time I've ever had such a request when the item itself wasn't damaged. I purchased my UPS shipping label outside of Ebay on my own UPS account, with full insurance. I called UPS, and they said I could file a claim, but basically admitted that if the contents are not damaged, a refund would be unlikely. I went ahead and filed a UPS insurance claim since the buyer filed the return request as a damaged shipping claim. When I called eBay, they said I have seller protection since it was filed as a shipping damage claim, but the return request doesn't leave me with many options. They also said damage to the packaging does not equate with the item being damaged. I was told to call back in a few days when my response deadline to the buyer's return request is due, to see if the buyer shows proof that the item was damaged. This really just seems like a case of buyer's remorse, trying to return the item under false pretenses. If I issue a return label and the buyer sends the item back, it voids the UPS insurance claim. If I send the buyer a refund and let them keep the item, I highly doubt they will be cooperative with a subsequent UPS inspection.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer sends me return request, but claims only the packaging was damaged, not the contents.

I was told to call back in a few days when my response deadline to the buyer's return request is due, to see if the buyer shows proof that the item was damaged

---------------------------

Yes, they tried to get you off the phone.

This really just seems like a case of buyer's remorse, trying to return the item under false pretenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------

How's a damaged foam on a $900 collectable item is remorse? Maybe they intended to give as a gift or resell.

Accept the return and send them a return label, upload the tracking# to the case and wait for the item.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Buyer sends me return request, but claims only the packaging was damaged, not the contents.

Some people like their collectables unremoved from the boxes and to have undamaged packages.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Packaging is very important to some collectors.

Accept the return issue a return label, wait for the item to be delivered to you , once delivered then refund. 
If you try to have eBay step in they will side with the buyer refund the buyer while also allowing the buyer to keep the item.

The cs reps are notorious for telling you what you want to hear.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

I have no idea what 'seller protection' customer service was referring to as they rarely investigate whether or not an item is damaged or not as described once a return has been opened.  They will expect you to refund now or refund once the item is returned. If you don't, they will refund on your behalf.  I would be very surprised if you will receive any insurance if just the packaging was damaged so if I were you, I would send a return shipping label and accept the return. Hopefully the buyer sends it properly packaged so that there is not damage on the return trip.

When a buyer opens a false item not as described/damaged claim there is some seller protection in some circumstances but only AFTER the buyer has been refunded.  But the seller is required to be a TRS with at least 30 day returns . There are also some seller protections if an item is returned damaged if the the seller is Above Average with free returns so you wouldn't qualify.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=3&pos=1&query=Sell...

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I was told to call back in a few days when my response deadline to the buyer's return request is due, to see if the buyer shows proof that the item was damaged

---------------------------

Yes, they tried to get you off the phone.

This really just seems like a case of buyer's remorse, trying to return the item under false pretenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------

How's a damaged foam on a $900 collectable item is remorse? Maybe they intended to give as a gift or resell.

Accept the return and send them a return label, upload the tracking# to the case and wait for the item.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

I think it would be a good idea to point out to UPS that the original box for this item is a substantial part of this item's value and it was damaged

Anyone who pays $700 + $100 shipping (shown to me) for this trinket wants it to be in A+ shape including the original box

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Its one of 3 things: buyers remorse, wanted to give to someone as a gift, or wanted to resell for higher as new somewhere else and now can't.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@elibolonese9784 wrote:

I recently sold a statue collectible valued at $700 with a $200 shipping cost.

The contents were not damaged. The photos they sent me showed one 3-4'' puncture in the outer shipper box, inner art box, and into the packing foam, but no damage to the contents. This is the first time I've ever had such a request when the item itself wasn't damaged.

I purchased my UPS shipping label outside of Ebay on my own UPS account, with full insurance. I called UPS, and they said I could file a claim, but basically admitted that if the contents are not damaged, a refund would be unlikely. I went ahead and filed a UPS insurance claim since the buyer filed the return request as a damaged shipping claim.

By "inner art box" @elibolonese9784 , is that referring to the product packaging and not the shipping packaging? If yes, then the contents were damaged as the product box is part of the value. You need to contact UPS and ask them to add that information to your claim.

If you're saying only the outer shipping box/packing material that you added to protect the collectible were damaged, that's a different story. But I don't think that's what you're saying.

By the power of Greyskull I hope you sort this out.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

I don't see anything sold for $700. with a photo of the box.

Although the box being in perfect condition is "very" important...I don't see it as a sold item in a box.

A dent or whatever of the box means nothing if it was not in the original box when sold...but packaged in a box with foam...Insurance is good for lost packages but not a dent or hole in a shipping box...wasting your time on that.

I don't see any insurance claim as such.

What I hope does not happen...you don't do a refund "within the time frame".

Do a return label for return item...no matter who has to pay. It's a $700. dollar item. 

What if buyer doesn't return it with a returned eBay label?...Kinda sounds like a win for you.

Buyer might be assuming you don't do the return...eBay does the refund for you and buyer keeps the item.

No returns does not mean no returns in eBay.

Buyers are getting more smarter these days.

If buyer doesn't use return label...you won't be charged...eBay will eventually refund that charge as I have read others posting here.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@elibolonese9784 wrote:

I recently sold a statue collectible valued at $700 with a $200 shipping cost. After receiving the package, the buyer sent me a return request under the reason 'arrived damaged'. But then proceeded to say that only the boxes and foam packaging was damaged. The contents were not damaged. The photos they sent me showed one 3-4'' puncture in the outer shipper box, inner art box, and into the packing foam, but no damage to the contents. This is the first time I've ever had such a request when the item itself wasn't damaged. I purchased my UPS shipping label outside of Ebay on my own UPS account, with full insurance. I called UPS, and they said I could file a claim, but basically admitted that if the contents are not damaged, a refund would be unlikely. I went ahead and filed a UPS insurance claim since the buyer filed the return request as a damaged shipping claim. When I called eBay, they said I have seller protection since it was filed as a shipping damage claim, but the return request doesn't leave me with many options. They also said damage to the packaging does not equate with the item being damaged. I was told to call back in a few days when my response deadline to the buyer's return request is due, to see if the buyer shows proof that the item was damaged. This really just seems like a case of buyer's remorse, trying to return the item under false pretenses. If I issue a return label and the buyer sends the item back, it voids the UPS insurance claim. If I send the buyer a refund and let them keep the item, I highly doubt they will be cooperative with a subsequent UPS inspection.

If you refund the buyer without waiting for the item to be returned, then you just gave away the item. It's unfortunate that you called the phone reps, because they give out incorrect information. The buyer has a money back guarantee and that trumps all else. The buyer will receive a full refund no matter what you say. Just accept the return and get the item back. You can re-sell it to someone else for a discounted price. If it sold once, it would sell again. At least you will get something out of it. Best of luck to you....

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@elibolonese9784 wrote:

When I called eBay, they said I have seller protection since it was filed as a shipping damage claim,

What they should have said, which would be the truth,  is if you don't accept the return and provide a shipping label or refund in 3 days, they will refund the buyer from your account and let them keep the item.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I don't see anything sold for $700. with a photo of the box.

Although the box being in perfect condition is "very" important...I don't see it as a sold item in a box.

This is the item. Photos of the box are present.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204705992052

In addition to the photos, seller clearly states under item description:

Item is in good used condition, with all switch outs and original packaging.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@elibolonese9784 wrote:

I find it extremely difficult to believe that a seller who seems to specialize in very pricey collectibles can't seem to understand that a very large proportion of the buyers who buy very pricey collectibles want the ENTIRE thing to be pristine, packaging included.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

UPS almost never pays claims. Especially in this case where the item itself was not damaged. If you want the item back to sell it again, send the buyer a return label. If you refund the buyer, understand that you will likely get nothing from UPS. They buyer will keep the item and the money. 

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

I believe that was the listing for the he-man figure?

To some collectors the packaging is just as important as the figure itself.

I would treat this as any other damaged return.

*** UNLESS ***

You and the buyer can agree and come up with a partial refund amount.

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 36
latest reply