cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer says Boyfriend is going to destroy contents of package when it arrives and wants refund

THIS has got to be the most insane message after a sale and with an item not yet delivered. Buyers messages “ I need to get a refund. My boyfriend said he is not going to give me the item when it is delivered and said he is going to destroy it or put it in a dumpster when it arrives”. I am homeless and he will get them package”. 

So, I assuming this is some kind of REALLY REALLY DUMB SCAM OR SOME REALLY desperate lady who just got kicked out of her boyfriend house. SO WHO PAYED FOR THIS? IT’S IN I ASSUME BOYFRIENDS NAME. A male buyer. This is about a 300 buck ring. I tell her. NO RETURN, no refund. And that I will be happy to do a package intercept to prevent boyfriend from getting his hands on this. They reply, no thanks. I will keep it. WTH is this. I am still trying to recall this package.

Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Buyer says Boyfriend is going to destroy contents of package when it arrives and wants refund

🍿- You got my attention - 🍿

Message 2 of 125
latest reply

Yeah they got my attention as well. USPS package intercept is down online on top of this I will be online for hours trying to get this intercept through to them. I was on the phone for 30 minutes trying to get them to do it on the phone but their online system is down right now. I got the Post office number where this package is suppose to land possibly tommorow and will be calling the Postmaster there as well.

Message 3 of 125
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

They reply, no thanks. I will keep it. WTH is this. I am still trying to recall this package.

I think you're overthinking this idiot. If he/she keeps it, then it's done. If they return it, you refund. Otherwise I would wait to see what happens next.

I'm not sure what you mean by "still trying" to recall the package, because you're either filing the package intercept request or you're not; that part wasn't clear. In any event, if you do manage to have it intercepted and returned to you, kick the refund back to him or her ASAP and add them to your Blocked Buyer List.

EDIT: Okay, I see your reply now about filing the intercept... I would phone that PO as you intend to do. I have filed two intercept requests myself in the past, and neither was successful; the packages were delivered anyway.

Message 4 of 125
latest reply

The online USPS intercept function is down tonite. I have tried 6 times. The package is due to arrive tommorow. Yep, I probably should not worry. Ebay has this crazy message with most of the words misspelled as well to look at if these people give me trouble.

Message 5 of 125
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 

The girlfriend/boyfriend dispute isn't your problem. Once tracking shows delivery, you should be fine. If she or he opens INR, just respond with tracking. If they open NAD or remorse request, accept it. 

My own experience with trying to intercept has not been successful. 

If I felt compelled to do something, what I would suggest is to get the direct phone number (not the 800 number) to the destination post office (look up by zip code) and call there between 5 and 7 am their time. That way, you'll catch them before the carriers pick up their mail to be delivered that day. 

Tell them what you need and see if they can hold the package with the tracking number and possibly, RTS. 

If the can stop delivery and return it to you, you can do a refund upon receipt of the return. 

If it gets delivered, you SP should protect you.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 125
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 

Wow that's crazy. Can you go to your local PO and talk to the postmaster there and have them contact the receiving PO office? It's a long shot but they have phone numbers unavailable to the public. Best of luck.

Message 7 of 125
latest reply

I would just ignore it and see how it plays out.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 125
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 

OMG, that is a crazy story to be sure ... any clues on their Feedback that they might be a brick shy of a load?  The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?  Not the brightest bulb in the light?  Way out past 3 Sigma? 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 125
latest reply

Either this person is suffering from a severe case of one D ten T syndrome or this is the poorest scam attempt I have ever seen posted on this forum. Maybe a combination of both. 

Message 10 of 125
latest reply

I would not have replied.
I would have checked to make sure the buyer ID of the item matches the member ID of the person who sent the message.
It is sad what this world has come to, scams everywhere.
However there is also dementia, this could be such a case.

Message 11 of 125
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@vintagecraze50 

OMG, that is a crazy story to be sure ... any clues on their Feedback that they might be a brick shy of a load?  The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?  Not the brightest bulb in the light?  Way out past 3 Sigma? 

@mr_lincoln:

Adding one of my favorites: "Two tacos short of a combination plate"...

Cheers, Duffy

Message 12 of 125
latest reply

It is delivered.

The boyfriend refuses delivery.

It comes back to you.

EBay does not require you to refund anything (https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...) but you can if you wish.  My suggestion is the purchase price, less your shipping cost. Up to you.

The boyfriend accepts the package and destroys it rather than passing it to the girlfriend.

Nothing to do with you.

You got paid.

Suggest that she speak to the local postmaster about this. And that she get a change of address in place ASAP.

Also that she try to speak to a female clerk about her problem, on general principles.

The boyfriend would be interfering with the mails, right?

No return as a policy does not mean No Refunds.

But a seller with a No Returns policy can, as you know, demand the return before refunding.

You are absolutely right to try to intercept the package. Worth every penny.

And the cancellation, once you have it back, would be as "problem with address".

Message 13 of 125
latest reply

On a $300 transaction, I would be very concerned.  I think I would try to intercept the package and get it returned to me.  $300 is a lot of money to me, so I'd be a bit protective of it.

While the OP would have great protection from INRs if the package got delivered, this creative buyer might just file an INAD or Chargeback.  And most of us know that on a Chargeback we don't typically get the item returned.  The buyer may know that too.  And if they do an INAD, they may return something not ordered.

The buyer seems to have a very active imagination.  I'm just not sure I would risk it.  Most certainly they would be on my BBL.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 125
latest reply

Thanks. Yes. I got up at 4 am to try the formal intercept online again and STILL it is down. It will not process my request. So first thing in the morning I will be calling the destination PO and try to get this handled by their postmaster. The item is still in transit going to the final destination and eligible for the intercept.

Message 15 of 125
latest reply