cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested return saying item is defective, but...

... but I always say No returns in my descriptions. And The item works, it's an iPhone. 

Is he trying to scam me? I hesitated when shipping it to them because looks like a new user account.

Also, in the return request he is asking a bunch of questions, I am thinking maybe he doesn't know yet how eBay works because he is new, he was asking  why the phone wasn't working, they can;t make calls. Also, maybe he doesn't know he needs to activate it with a phone service carrier? I am, really confused.

Ebay says I need to resolve by 3/6, if by then I don't hear back from buyer, will eBay proceed with the return automatically ? what will happen?

First time this sort of thing happens to me. Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Buyer requested return saying item is defective, but...

I already messaged them through the request. thanks
Message 16 of 46
latest reply

In addition to what the others are saying, if the case closes in the buyer’s favor because of lack of action on the part of the seller, eBay sometimes lets the buyer keep the item, then gives them a refund on top of that, and the seller gets a defect and no Final Value fee credit. 

So it is in your better interests to accept the return in hopes your buyer is not a scammer and you get your original iPhone back. It sounds to me like the buyer could just be unschooled, as opposed to being a scam artist. 

There are some seller protections on eBay, but not for these circumstances. The best protection you can have is to know what the policies are so you can decide your risk tolerance prior to listing. Best of luck to you in resolving this problem.

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

Yeah that's what **bleep** me off. I've been selling on ebay for over 20 years with a flawless record.  Then all of a sudden a brand new ebayer can say i sent him a brick instead of his $20 item and ebay will believe him.  Not much seller protection here. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 18 of 46
latest reply

I already messaged them back. Is that considered taking action? It’s not like I am ignoring them, I just answered their questions

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

Sorry to say i would be amazed if you get back what you sent, orders an i phone and cannot make calls ? They're  asking a bunch of questions playing the system, new user ? Knows exactly how to open that return though don't they ?

You need to accept and issue the label and start praying, you have zero protection with this, as soon as whatever arrives back to you they will be refunded in full including shipping.

Most seasoned sellers will tell you never list what you cannot afford to lose.

Just one thing to keep in mind, if you had offered free returns if you do not get back what you sent you could have refunded just 50% of the purchase price, take a look at virtually all cell phone sellers, they offer free shipping & returns, there is a reason for that, it gives them some level of protection.

Yours with shipping and no returns is a magnet for any scammer, no thief / scammer  wants to pay anything even at 50% off with all the hassle involved if you have a determined seller who knows the steps they can take to make the authorities aware of their actions.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

Why 50%? The shipping cost in this caee would've been around 10%.
Message 21 of 46
latest reply

@yuncreations wrote:

I already messaged them back. Is that considered taking action? It’s not like I am ignoring them, I just answered their questions

Sorry, that is NOT considered taking action. The only acceptable action from Ebay's perspective is for you to accept the return and provide the buyer a return label. Please do that asap, it appears that you have already lost enough time replying.

If you fail to accept the return and provide the label in the allotted time (3 days, I think), Ebay will automatically take the funds from you and refund the buyer, slap you with a defect and let the buyer KEEP YOUR PHONE FOR FREE.

So please don't delay any further.

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

Definitely communicate with the buyer in the eBay Return system.  Answer his questions.  Maybe he just doesn't understand how to set it up.  

Then, as everyone else has said, you have to accept the return.  There's a small possibility that he'll realize that it was user error and he won't end up returning it.  

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

It's nothing to do with shipping, if you offered Free returns and got back something completely different or damaged you are allowed to deduct 50% of the purchase price when the refund is issued.

ie : item sold for $200 you only need to refund $100. A little protection at least.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

Also, why do I (as seller) have to pay for the return label? I thought it was the buyer who pays.
Message 25 of 46
latest reply

wow had no idea about this. I never do free shipping
Message 26 of 46
latest reply

@yuncreations wrote:
Also, why do I (as seller) have to pay for the return label? I thought it was the buyer who pays.

If a buyer files a not as described return, the seller is always responsible for the shipping.  A return policy, with the buyer paying the shipping, only applies to remorse returns.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

okayyy I just approved and sent the label
😞
Message 28 of 46
latest reply

Just search all cell phone sellers, they all do free shipping and returns, easy target for free phones if they did not.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

Well it’s too late for me now. Never thought or knew about this before. 😞
Message 30 of 46
latest reply