cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opened a request on a delivered package, might have found a loophole

I previously posted that a buyer was complaining that she hadn't received an item, even though tracking clearly showed it was delivered. Other sellers on the forum encouraged me not to refund her. But there's a complication.

After the item ended, I purchased postage through eBay, but cancelled it when I saw the price was higher than it would be on Pirate Ship. I bought the postage on Pirate Ship and shipped. Pirate Ship shows the package was delivered to the buyer's mailbox on March 3 -- a date when, seller told me, she wasn't home because of a death in the family.

I sent the buyer a message with a screen shot that included the corrected tracking number, as well as the proof that it was delivered. In spite of that, she opened a request with eBay, complaining that she hadn't received the item. I think she's trying to take advantage of the fact that I cancelled the original shipping number.

eBay's message asked me to "confirm tracking details," so I sent the correct tracking information. I also sent the buyer a reminder that I'd sent her the tracking information and showed her, again, proof it was delivered. If she's scamming, that won't make any difference to her.

My concern is that she's found a loophole, and eBay will force me to refund her because the tracking number that was automatically listed (and which I cancelled) shows the item was never received by USPS. Thanks for any guidance about additional steps I can take. (Guidance can include "you should've paid a few extra pennies and kept the original tracking number," which I've already figured out.)

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

You might have lost your protection, not because of the voided shipping label but because you didn't upload the new actual tracking number in time. The seller protection policy says you must "upload tracking before the estimated delivery date."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345

I'm curious about the price difference between eBay and Pirateship, since I thought they both charged the same prices for the same services, i.e., for USPS it would be the regular published Commercial rates.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Did you update the sold listing with the pirate ship tracking # before it was delivered?

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@sidsalts wrote:

I previously posted that a buyer was complaining that she hadn't received an item, even though tracking clearly showed it was delivered. Other sellers on the forum encouraged me not to refund her. But there's a complication.

After the item ended, I purchased postage through eBay, but cancelled it when I saw the price was higher than it would be on Pirate Ship. I bought the postage on Pirate Ship and shipped. Pirate Ship shows the package was delivered to the buyer's mailbox on March 3 -- a date when, seller told me, she wasn't home because of a death in the family.

I sent the buyer a message with a screen shot that included the corrected tracking number, as well as the proof that it was delivered. In spite of that, she opened a request with eBay, complaining that she hadn't received the item. I think she's trying to take advantage of the fact that I cancelled the original shipping number.

eBay's message asked me to "confirm tracking details," so I sent the correct tracking information. I also sent the buyer a reminder that I'd sent her the tracking information and showed her, again, proof it was delivered. If she's scamming, that won't make any difference to her.

My concern is that she's found a loophole, and eBay will force me to refund her because the tracking number that was automatically listed (and which I cancelled) shows the item was never received by USPS. Thanks for any guidance about additional steps I can take. (Guidance can include "you should've paid a few extra pennies and kept the original tracking number," which I've already figured out.)

Unfortunately you shot yourself in the foot. You were OK to ship with Pirate Ship

as you did but to win this item not revived case the tracking number has to be in

eBay's system and show as delivered before a case is opened.

What you should have done was as soon as you got the correct tracking number

from Pirate Ship, edit the tracking number on eBay to the correct number.

Its to late now you can't prove delivery. Accept the case and refund the buyer

before eBay does it and gives you nasty defect for eBay having to step in and

refunding the buyer.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

You might have lost your protection, not because of the voided shipping label but because you didn't upload the new actual tracking number in time. The seller protection policy says you must "upload tracking before the estimated delivery date."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345

I'm curious about the price difference between eBay and Pirateship, since I thought they both charged the same prices for the same services, i.e., for USPS it would be the regular published Commercial rates.

Not really a loophole, you just made a mistake that is probably going to cost you, happens to everyone.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I did not. My mistake.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

Pirate ship has lower rates for items less than a cubic foot as I understand it.  Sellers have asked Ebay for that option, but they don't seem to be able to provide that...... 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

" I thought they both charged the same prices for the same services"

Exactly what I thought. Same for Paypal shipping as well. I would be curious to see a documented example showing different rates for same package to same address. Maybe with the latest USPS rate hikes eBay didn't negotiate as well as in the past?

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote: .... Maybe with the latest USPS rate hikes eBay didn't negotiate as well as in the past?

Negotiate?  eBay doesn't negotiate domestic USPS prices; eBay postage rates are the published Commercial rates that you can see in the official USPS rates publication, Notice 123.   The only exception is the extra 3% discount that TRS get on Priority Mail.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Can't you just enter the tracking number into both the shipped item AND the open case now?

If no then you're probly a bit solololol

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I entered the correct tracking number for the open case, but I can't change it in the item details "because you purchased the shipping label from eBay label printing platform."

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.15.18 AM.png

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect 

Pirate ship has lower rates for items less than a cubic foot as I understand it.  Sellers have asked Ebay for that option, but they don't seem to be able to provide that...... 

I'm aware of Pirateship offering cubic rates, which is why I specified "same services," but I'm still wondering whether that's the reason behind the OP's statement.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@sidsalts wrote:

As long as you can show the Pirate Ship tracking number has the buyer's address from the purchased item, you 'should' be covered. As mentioned, if the carrier is not 'integrated' with ebay, there 'may' be a problem.

Read this ebay link for further info>

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/helping-buyers-items-not-received?id=4116

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I can. I sent a screenshot with the Pirate Ship tracking number to the seller and to eBay. It also shows the buyer's name, address, and when the package was delivered to her.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@sidsalts wrote:

I can. I sent a screenshot with the Pirate Ship tracking number to the seller and to eBay. It also shows the buyer's name, address, and when the package was delivered to her.

Screenshot is worthless since such cases are bots doing it. You always need to enter the tracking in the order and on the claim page. Screen shots are worthless.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply