cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opened SNAD because they wanted an item not in my listing. Ebay says nothing they can do.

I sold a video game to a buyer. Buyer opened a not as described return saying that it did not come with a controller. No where in my description, picture or title does it say the game comes with a controller. eBay automatically approved the return. I called eBay and they confirmed that a controller is not in my listing and they are confused why the buyer would be asking for a controller. They said there is nothing they can do and I will have to pay for the return.  They said they no longer have the ability to change returns and the only thing I could do would be to email the buyer and resolve it myself.

This is a pretty clear cut case that the buyer is wrong, eBay admits the buyer is wrong, yet they let the buyer abuse the process. They told me to ask the buyer to show me proof of where it says a controller is in my listing. Shouldn't this be ebay's job before automatically approving it? The rep said this is a "very rare" occurrence and ebay is just trying to speed up the return process, saying I just have to take it as a business loss.

Is there anything I can do?

Message 1 of 263
latest reply
262 REPLIES 262

Re: Buyer opened SNAD because they wanted an item not in my listing. Ebay says nothing they can do.

@moondogblues wrote:
Interesting thread...can't believe anyone buying a single 'media' item would expect the player too. But then again, there are a lot of learning impaired people out there. I phones don't help, I guess. But people just need to learn to READ.

Actually, IMO, if more sellers would list as many details as possible with the understanding that some people just don't read .... there MIGHT be less problems.

I'm sure there are learning impaired sellers, no doubt but hey ... everyone needs a chance especially if they don't know anything about video games or controllers or iPhones (especially iPhones).  nerdSmiley Tongue 

Message 91 of 263
latest reply

Re: Buyer opened SNAD because they wanted an item not in my listing. Ebay says nothing they can do.

@tunicaslot said: It's sad that honesty, ethics and morals have eroded within a large part of the population as well.

True.   I even read some dishonesty here last night (not in this thread).  But I guess some of the population choose to be that way even when they don't have to.  Smiley Wink

Message 92 of 263
latest reply

It is unfortunate that many don't value those traits anymore. So you're either an early riser like me or someone who loves the night and sleeps in everyday - which one is it?

Message 93 of 263
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

Video GAMES are played on a console which HAS a controller.

No-one but a (fill in the blank) would expect to get a controller with every game they buy.

Good thing I don't buy video games.  I'd hate to be a (fill in the blank) kinda person.   lol

Gosh ... I wonder kind of a buyer this was? I don't play video games and I don't buy video games and I'm 78 years old and even I know the game doesn't come with the controller and that the controller comes with the console. LOL

I`ll tell you what kind of buyer it is.....a buyer that is willing to check any box that gets them FREE return shipping.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 94 of 263
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

It is unfortunate that many don't value those traits anymore. So you're either an early riser like me or someone who loves the night and sleeps in everyday - which one is it?

True -- telling the truth -- is, IMO, the only way to be.  As soon as I know someone is a liar, there's not much after that, that I will believe that comes out of their mouths (or fingertips).   

I actually don't sleep much any longer but even when I was healthy, I was an early riser and never slept in every day.   However, I always did and still do love nights.  I pre-record TV shows I enjoy watching so I don't have to waste any time on too many commercials and usually watch those at night and sometimes in the wee hours.  

Hopefully, this sale for the OP will work out in his and his buyers favor ... and maybe, just maybe, the OP will find he has a good, repeat customer who may decide from now on to ask questions before bidding/buying/purchasing (regardless of whether the listing said this or that or how silly the question might be), unless, of course, IF any of the messages/answers from the OP made the buyer feel uncomfortable in any way. 

Buyers, especially my great repeat buyers, were/was how I was able to make it so I had no problems all these years but ... it was the tremendous amount of detail I put into all my listings that covered everything, that left almost nothing to the imagination .... that helped a great deal.  

Message 95 of 263
latest reply

Hormones. Hormones make people sleep. Ever seen a teenager that couldn't sleep until noon? Now I'm too often awake too early, sometimes at 3,4,5, or 6, and finally give up and get up.

Back on topic...ebay, acting like a parent these days, treating sellers like children, when too often it is buyers behaving like children who have been told by ebay that there are no consequences for their actions. I'm tired of it. 

Message 96 of 263
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
"That said, if the title and in the description it had said -- does not come with a controller -- perhaps this buyer would not have asked where it was. "

Gotta add my 2-cents...I buy a lot of vinyl records here. Should I ask for the record player too?

What the hey!  In this day and age?  Whatever one can get away with seems to be the battle cry of the day!  Smiley Wink

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 97 of 263
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@this*old*attic wrote:

LOL.

I’m only 59 but I at least wondered if the game needed a controller. It didn’t occur to me that the PLAYER had the controller.

Maybe your buyer is as uninformed as I am?

If this is the case that's perfectly fine, and these things happen. The issue here is that eBay seems to weaponize this against sellers.

The buyers story doesn`t hold water. Even if they actually thought the game came with the controller at initial purchase, they could have gone back to the ad at any point and further investigated. Instead they blamed the seller and checked the "not as described" box when filing for the return.

Ebay is defiantly using this as a weapon against sellers. Am I wrong or have the blues come to these boards and stated to appeal these types of cases after they are closed? Even if an appeal is won, I`m guessing the return is still held against the sellers metrics.

Message 98 of 263
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@this*old*attic wrote:

LOL.

I’m only 59 but I at least wondered if the game needed a controller. It didn’t occur to me that the PLAYER had the controller.

Maybe your buyer is as uninformed as I am?

If this is the case that's perfectly fine, and these things happen. The issue here is that eBay seems to weaponize this against sellers.

The buyers story doesn`t hold water. Even if they actually thought the game came with the controller at initial purchase, they could have gone back to the ad at any point and further investigated. Instead they blamed the seller and checked the "not as described" box when filing for the return.

Ebay is defiantly using this as a weapon against sellers. Am I wrong or have the blues come to these boards and stated to appeal these types of cases after they are closed? Even if an appeal is won, I`m guessing the return is still held against the sellers metrics.

Nope, you're not wrong.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 99 of 263
latest reply

"The difference is that HERE you basically seem to have mall security kneecap the store owner chasing the thief, then hold the door open for the thief and point them away from where the cops are."

AMEN!......and all the while screaming....."lower the price to make the sale".

"cost of doing business" my butt!

Message 100 of 263
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@this*old*attic wrote:

There is no difference.

We CAN control our business and protect ourselves against some portion of typical losses (subscribe to a store or not, sell international or not, pick your carrier, set your hours and take vacations, decide what stock you want to sell, chose how many pics to include and how to describe your merchandise, use USPS insurance or Shipsurance or self insure or take the gamble... and on and on). Including to sell here or elsewhere or both or neither.

Moreover, a Brick and Mortar’s landlord meddles or controls in line with EBay - they set store hours, rules about window displays, how wide the aisles need to be, allot your parking spaces, divvy out storage, and all sorts of other parameters. 

No B&M landlord:

Limits amounts you can sell

Jumps in between your buyer and your cash register

Forces store owners to feature competitors wares in their shop window

Forces their tenants to use a certain payment processor

"Manages" their payments

Sets their tenants return policies

Directs shoppers away from your store to someone else's

Threatens to terminate your lease if you don't do business their way

Tries to control your merchandise

Turns your store lights "on" and "off" at will

Determines your store policies

Overrides your store policies

Makes you wait to get paid for your merchandise

Refuses to allow you to have loss prevention personnel

Feels free to give away your merchandise on their terms

Changes the lease agreement at will a minimum of 3 times a year

Shall I go on?

This placed ceased to be "just a venue" over 10 years ago. With every update sellers lose more and some are blind to it. To top it all off some of the "policies" are completely unannounced or evenly enforced.

Message 101 of 263
latest reply

Hey hillbilly. Don't need to guess. Even if the case is resolved in the seller's favor, it still is counted in those Seller 4% metrics. 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 102 of 263
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@usgamecollector wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

Do you offer a return policy for this item?

I've read that sometimes ebay will refund your shipping cost upon appeal after the return and refund.

I offer 30 day returns, buyer pays return shipping

That return policy is for "remorse" returns.

It does not cover numpty buyer returns.

False SNAD  eBay MBG trumps your return policy.

I realize this is a SNAD, but I asked if they had a return policy to see if they accepted returns in general.    Since he does, then ebay will say he has to take the return even if it was filed improperly.  Ebay might then refund his return shipping cost on appeal.

As far as the ones clamoring that more information needed to be stated in the title about no controller, I say absolutely not.   It is not a good idea to try to list what doesn't come with an item if it isn't something that was supposed to be with it from the manufacturer.  That would only confuse the situation further.  Where do you stop?  That would be like saying "no soup" in a casserole dish I'm selling.

The only time I include a caveat in my title about something not included is when it was included originally.  EX--a remote with a dvd player.

Message 103 of 263
latest reply

@tunicaslot 

I read 74 75 nd 76. Without a blue responding with more information or the buyer responding, 74, 75 and 76 means nothing to me. The OP hides his items, hides his feedback, and is posting with a posting I.D. I would prefer to see both sides of the story or at least the listing in question.

Message 104 of 263
latest reply

The OP is not hiding anything. He is protecting himself. Malicious actions have been known to have happened on this board in the past when posting with a selling ID. It's common sense!

Message 105 of 263
latest reply