cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer not registered, eBay notified me & canceled after item shipped

I received payment for a Buy-It-Now Mariposa Barbie I was selling. Buyer contacted me if I had any more dolls that they were trying to locate. I responded, no; sale completed, payment received, package mailed to Kentucky, via international shipping. Package going to Greece.  Well, today, 3 days after I was paid by the buyer & shipped the Barbie, I get an e-mail from eBay that the listing was canceled because the buyer is not registered, not to contact the person by e-mail & do not ship the item.  Kind of late, guys!  What do I do now? The money is still in my eBay account, the doll is still in transit to Kentucky.  Will eBay still give me my payout? Should I contact the USPS to halt delivery & return package?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer not registered, eBay notified me & canceled after item shipped

I've had this happen a number of times thru the years and never had any problem..........Money was never removed from my account........don't worry about it and don't bother to try to intercept....... 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

One more reason I DO NOT SELL INTERNATIONALLY!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

This one sounds like a major eBay screw up. Things like this are why some sellers are not shipping items until the money actually transfers to their account. You can try to recall the item but I believe there is a $15 USPS charge for that. Not sure what the value of the item you sent was so some decision to make regarding possible recall of the package. 

You may also try contacting eBay customer support, such as it is these days, and see if you can get any additional information or action out of the. I fail to understand how a buyer could purchase an item and pay for it when/if they are not registered unless eBay shut down their account for some reason. The other question would be what is the GSC going to do with the package once they get it since the buyer is not registered. Something really went wrong here and I would be interested in knowing what the outcome is regarding your post. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I got lucky with one of these this week. They actually cancelled the sale with suspicious buyer warning prior to me shipping. I had one a bit back that was already shipped and they  suggested trying to recall the package but it was way too late because we ship this stuff out sometimes less than an hour after the sale. They paid me for that one because no way to retrieve that item.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

They ask you to try to retrieve the package and if that is not possible that is on them.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

In my opinion, if they are pushing for the quickest shipping possible if their payment processor misses these suspicious accounts they need to take responsibility for that. Some people might be saved by their extended shipping time  frames which for some are set WAY too long for buyer satisfaction.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

...file "intercept package" with usps.com...do it asap due to time manner...the cost is $14.95 and USPS only take charge when they were able to retrieve the package...they will respond as early as 3 days or as late as a week...

...it's already weekend...hoping USPS customer service will catch up, otherwise nothing is gonna put in place until Monday...

...good luck to the OP...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I've had the same thing happen a few times but in every case the item was delivered and I got paid.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

This is only sort of related to the original post here but I felt I'd add a buyer's perspective to what I feel was the sort of the reverse of what happened above.

As a buyer about 8 months ago. I had made a purchase from a seller I've dealt with in the past, we werfe both here in the states.

A matter of minutes after I paid for the order I get an email saying eBay has cancelled the sale, the seller is no longer a registered user, and if I already have paid, to wait and see, chances are the item will arrive. It never did, the seller was gone, (after 12 years), and my order never arrived. eBay made me wait for a refund, the seller obviously never responded since their account was gone and likely they weren't getting any of the ebay communications I was being forced to send to qualify for a refund.

I got my money back after several months, but never got an full explanation as to what went on. They were a seller with perfect feedback, I had bought from them for years then all of a sudden they were gone. I contacted the seller through another site they sell on but got no answer by email, I finally called a number I had from years ago just to see if they were still in business and they were. The story was that their account got hacked or hijacked. They said they had quit selling on eBay and were only using Amazon, but left the account dormant just in case, then someone began using it to sell items by reviving some of their past ads and items, and of course they didn't know about it and nothing was ever shipped. It turned out that they only found out about it after eBay started issuing refunds for items they didn't sell. They were somehow getting charge backs on items they didn't list or sell. 

That didn't add up to me because if someone hijacked their account, and were able to collect the ill gotten funds, wouldn't that mean the banking info on that account had been changed as well?

(To make it worse, a month after this all went down, I find a double charge on my CC bill, after I was refunded, about three weeks later, I got charged again for the same initial order, that time the bank got it refunded after about a week and some fraud forms I had to fill out). The charges came from somewhere in NV, the original seller was in TX, and I have no clue where the original payment was sent too through PP.

A simply $90 transaction turned into a four month mess and to this day I don't know who or what was at fault. What confused me was that I had paid via CC through PP in eBay checkout, how did whom ever hacked their account get my CC number? (The bank seemed to think it was likely unrelated and that it may have been a breach in security with the CC company itself). I'll never know for sure about that part.

The company I was dealing with was a distributor who only sold through eBay, I would email in an order, they'd give me a total and an item number and I'd go to eBay and hit BIN. This was fairly common with various suppliers for a long time, they felt they and I were better protected dealing through eBay.

While I did come out of it without any losses other than time and a few deadlines, it did actually lead to me buying direct from the manufacturer now and not through a distributor. Its cheaper but I have to buy and store more product than I'd prefer to with a bit more waste due to bulk packaging.

From what I was told by the seller after the fact the whole mess cost them a ton of money because they hadn't gotten the money back that eBay had yanked back through PP for items they didn't actually sell to customers they didn't know anything about.

I realize that this is all long over with and in the past and I no longer deal with that seller by no fault of their own, but I bring this up because as a part time seller on another account, I couldn't figure out how something like that could even happen and how to protect myself from something like that since I have several 'dormant' accounts, two of which I'm contemplating starting back up.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Exactly! How were they able to purchase and pay without being registered? Also, eBay will not let you ship until the payment has cleared.  This case keeps getting suspicious. They removed the sale from my listings.  I get an e-mail 3 days after the sale was completed, that the bid was canceled and all fees will be returned. Also, a suggestion to re-list the item as a Buy-It-Now. Um...ALL of my listings are BIN, including this one! I finally get it touch with an actual human in customer service. They thank me for being a valued customer, that they are familiar with this case. They thanked me for being with eBay since 2008, and they will do everything to get my money back from the seller. ????????

I responded that they have this all wrong.  I have been a member since 1998 and I am the seller!  After their obvious confusion, they told me that since the item was already shipped, they will proceed with the normal process of payment and not to worry they will do everything to back me up.  Payment was sent to my back account. Package was documented and labeled through customs and is on its way to Greece.  Fingers crossed that this is the end of it.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I've had this happen a number of times thru the years and never had any problem..........Money was never removed from my account........don't worry about it and don't bother to try to intercept....... 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply