cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer make offers, then dont complete the transaction. Anyone else?

Not a big deal, I just dont get it.  So there will always be deadbeats.  A couple a month will win auctions, then not complete the purchase. The last few months I have had 4 or 5 people make offers, and after they are accepted, dont complete the purchase.  Are people doing this just to aggravate?  

Again, not a major issue, I just cant figure out the point.

Other than that, happy new years!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer make offers, then dont complete the transaction. Anyone else?

@eyem4jesus wrote:
I just cant figure out the point

They made offers to several different sellers for similar items, and chose the most appealing option among the accepted offers.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Use fixed price listings with immediate payment required.

That should help. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Technically, someone winning a auction and failing to complete the transaction could be sued for breach of contract but that is usually not economically feasible.  Filing a UID after 48 hours and closing it 96 hours later giving them a strike is the usual method here on eBay.  This is how most non-paying bidders/buyers are handled here.

It should be noted that IPR is not available when the sale is made by accepting a Best Offer or when the item is being sold at auction.  As mentioned, fixed price listing with the IPR option selected would work provided you do not accept an offer.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@eyem4jesus wrote:
I just cant figure out the point

They made offers to several different sellers for similar items, and chose the most appealing option among the accepted offers.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements > Block users who have earned as few as 2 UPI strikes in 12 months.

Be sure that you file the UPI reminder immediately in 48 hours and close it in 96 more, then block the deadbeat.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@eyem4jesus wrote:

Not a big deal, I just dont get it.  So there will always be deadbeats.  A couple a month will win auctions, then not complete the purchase. The last few months I have had 4 or 5 people make offers, and after they are accepted, dont complete the purchase.  Are people doing this just to aggravate?  

Again, not a major issue, I just cant figure out the point.

Other than that, happy new years!

OP - I know where you're coming from - had a BO last week - accepted it - pulled the item and ended up opening a UPI and then closing it after no response. There buyers who make offers to multiple sellers and then choose the cheapest or the first to respond to them have no idea they are getting slapped with an Unpaid item disputes which Ebay does keep a record of. 

As you said - not a major issue but an inconvenience to sellers.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have the Unpaid Item Strike set up for eBay to handle, and I dont accept buyers with 2 or more strikes.  I didnt think about "buyers making multiple offers to multiple sellers than picking the best"' but that makes a little more sense.  A couple months ago I did have a buyer make an offer than shortly after ask that I disregard it as they had found a cheaper item.  

I have a mix of auctions, and fixed price listings. Some with offers, some without.  I like giving people options and I am still learning what works best for me.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply