cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer incorrectly claims he received wrong item

For a used laptop transaction, buyer is incorrectly claiming he received bunch of medical textbooks instead of laptop and demanding refund. Ive seen similar cases in this forum and followed some guidelines on how to handle it.

First he raised a case stating 'Wrong items sent'. After some exchange of emails where I mentioned Ive raised a case with Fedex and police, the case was closed in my favor stating 'item was correctly delivered'.

The scammer didnt back off and then raised a return request stating 'Item not as described'. So far Ive raised investigation request with Fedex and also raised a police report. 

Should I allow him to send the item for return, but I am not sure how this will work out since hes claiming he has received wrong item. Ive told him I can not offer return on items not sent by me. 

Or should I allow this request to lapse and eBay to step in ?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sounds like a scam in the making.  But EBAY money back guarantee allows customer to claim "not as described, defective, counterfeit" and get full refund (including postage both ways).    You must approve return request (otherwise EBAY will do and you will get a defect because you didn't follow the rules).    Obviously they plan on returning some "old books" to you (cheaper for you to just give them full refund...that way you don't have to pay return postage.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

I get these "wrong item sent" fairly regular.
While it certainly can happen, in a good half of these cases it is the buyer who ordered the wrong one.
I do not like being blamed for something that is not my fault, however I swallow my pride and accept the return without question.

That being said, when such a buyer contacts me I simply reply with "please return for refund" and I do not get into further conversation with the buyer.

That method...
Regardless of what the buyer's issue is, regardless of what the buyer claims...
The simple reply of "please return for refund"
Then when a buyer opens a case, I accept it.
And when I receive the item back I issue a refund.

That method...
Has proved to be the best way to handle these, for me.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks..  I read in similar post someone suggested, suppose eBay steps in and forcibly returns amount, then we can file a theft report against eBay with the bank and block the transfer of funds.. Would that work?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thats not the case here.. He ordered my used laptop and I sent him that. Hes falsely now claiming the package contained 'medical text books' and asking for return and refund. Its a scam attempt

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

No offense.  How do we know you didn't send him a box of medical books instead of a laptop?  We don't. Neither does ebay.  That's why ebay always find in favor of the buyer in a case like this.

Good luck and stay safe.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I have one of these happening right now sent the buyer a tablet and he is saying he got a Panasonic CF-33 which I've never had one of those in my possession lol and the customer won't respond how did you go about fixing your issue?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply