cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer hasn't paid, and that buyer listed the item for sale too.

One of my auctions ended and the winner has not paid for it yet, I took a look at their account, and they have listed the same item they won from me right after the auction ended. There is a difference in the listings, mine was detailed as used, and the buyer's listing is detailed as new.

I haven't seen anything like this, should I wait this out, or report this matter?

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@boxer0089 wrote:

The buyer's listing is about 45% higher than they won from me, so I file the unpaid claim when I can. I wasn't sure if it something I should report to ebay too.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Yes, file the UID.  Note the date and time you file it.  Do not send any email reminders to your buyer once you file the UID.  96 hours and one minute after you opened the UID, if payment has not arrived, close it for none payment.

The buyer may ask you to cancel the transacction instead.  I would hope you would not do that as it is not appropriate for this type of problem.

Good Luck.

BTW, in case you weren't aware.  Once you close a UID for non payment, your FB is protected.  The buyer will not be able to leave FB.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

File the unpaid item case when you can
Message 2 of 42
latest reply

File the unpaid item case when you can

Yes.....that ^^^^^^^ and close it as soon as you can.  Are they using your pictures as well for their listing? 

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

No, they're using the standard stock ebay images and I used my own pictures. And their listing condition is new, but the description says "barely ever used."

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Arbitrage...

I assume they are asking a higher price?

What the buyer might be trying to do is string you along for as long as possible in the hopes of selling it. If they do, they ask you to ship to the other buyer. If they don't, they ask to cancel and make a stink about it so as to be sure to get a refund.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

Yes, the buyer is hoping to flip the item without first having to actually have to pay for it.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

Arbitrage...

What the buyer might be trying to do is string you along for as long as possible in the hopes of selling it. If they do, they ask you to ship to the other buyer. If they don't, they ask to cancel and make a stink about it so as to be sure to get a refund.

Oh, no you didn't!!! Do people really do that? I thought I'd seen it all.  I don't do many auctions people buyers don't pay right away, or at all.  I do BIN with IPR.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

The buyer's listing is about 45% higher than they won from me, so I file the unpaid claim when I can. I wasn't sure if it something I should report to ebay too.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

sounds like a sketchy person. Wasn't hard to find them, got them blocked! They need to also be reported for listing as used and implying that the item may be used, by very little. Against ebay listing policies.
Message 9 of 42
latest reply

@boxer0089 wrote:

Yes, file the UID.  Note the date and time you file it.  Do not send any email reminders to your buyer once you file the UID.  96 hours and one minute after you opened the UID, if payment has not arrived, close it for none payment.

The buyer may ask you to cancel the transacction instead.  I would hope you would not do that as it is not appropriate for this type of problem.

Good Luck.

BTW, in case you weren't aware.  Once you close a UID for non payment, your FB is protected.  The buyer will not be able to leave FB.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 42
latest reply

If the buyer hasn't paid within 48 hours of the auction closing or within the time allotted by your TOS, file a UID.  If the buyer hasn't paid within the 96 hours allowed by the UID, close it and give him an unpaid item strike.  Don't forget to put him on your BBL.

Of course, if he pays, thank him for his purchase and ship.

There is no way for you to prove that the listing he placed is for the item that you sold so I would ignore that.  After all, you sold him a used one and the one he is selling is new.  If it isn't, that is between him and his buyer.   

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

If the buyer hasn't paid within 48 hours of the auction closing or within the time allotted by your TOS, file a UID.  If the buyer hasn't paid within the 96 hours allowed by the UID, close it and give him an unpaid item strike.  Don't forget to put him on your BBL.

There is no way for you to prove that the listing he placed is for the item that you sold so I would ignore that.  After all, you sold him a used one and the one he is selling is new.  If it isn't, that is between him and his buyer.   

What if he the buyer does sell it then pays and has it shipped to his/her buyer. that buyer sees it's used and want a refund?

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

@fluffywhip78 wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

What if he the buyer does sell it then pays and has it shipped to his/her buyer. that buyer sees it's used and want a refund?

The second buyer would return it to the person that sold it to them and then depending upon timeline the Ops buyer could return it to them.

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@fluffywhip78 wrote: 

Your buyer is still your buyer, even if he doesn't pay you until he sells it through to someone else. The name and address you receive as the Ship-To location on your Shipping label doesn't matter: it could be either your buyer himself, or his buyer to whom he's sold your item.

If your buyer has you ship it directly to his buyer (a third party, to you), and that third party decides to return it, it comes back to you, and you refund your buyer. (He, in turn, would be expected to refund his buyer, but that's not your concern, as you are not involved in that transaction. His unhappy buyer cannot leave feedback for you.)

Can you give us a better sense of scheduling here? When did your listing get purchased? Has it been more than 48 hours now, so that you can open the Unpaid Item dispute? Approximately what time and day does your buyer's listing expire?

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

@gopetersen wrote:

Arbitrage...

Oh, no you didn't!!! Do people really do that? I thought I'd seen it all.  I don't do many auctions people buyers don't pay right away, or at all.  I do BIN with IPR.

Tweety, those are the exact words I was about type! Seriously? I can't believe someone would do that. That's just crazy! 

Message 15 of 42
latest reply