cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer damaged item-seller protection

Hello! The buyer damaged my item to get around me not offering returns. Of course I had to accept the return. I tried to give a partial refund and reported the buyer. A few days later, he opened a case for not receiving all of the money-which eBay quickly refunded him entirely. I appealed and they sent over an affidavit to sign stating that the buyer damaged the item and I can’t sell it in the same condition. Since they sent over the form, I relisted the item with the defects and it sold for $75 less. Do I still sign the form? I’m not sure what eBay will do (if anything). I did resell the item but for less than before. 

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Buyer damaged item-seller protection

As the blue devil buyer, we received zero explanation, before during, or after our partial refund became a full refund. We will not be using their platform since they’ve ignored our request for any information on how our case was handled. So much confusion from eBay not explaining imo.
-Ed

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/My-eBay-psycho-buyer-sent-me-a-letter-I-have-to-sign-for/td-p/...

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

I never heard of the affidavit thing either. I looked into it and there are posts a few years ago that mention the same thing. 

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

How were you permitted to give a partial on a not as described return since you had a no return policy?

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

by my experience........................  when there is a %age reduction on a refund................  the buyer appeals that deduction with eBay rather than contacting the seller, especially by sending a letter. Sorry for your confusion on the situation. Not using eBay anymore without understanding may be the best solution.

how case handled...............................  internal eBay policy not revealed for public 

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

It wasn’t a not as described. He said it arrived damaged. 

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

join the boycott (of selling), maybe ebay is just screwed up, or maybe buyers/population are.  To break or steal a part off a purchased item is unbelievable, but I knew this was coming and I see it. I take photos and videos of everything, then again as item is packaged, such a time suck and it still doesn't matter. 

It's a broken marketplace and as a lawyer said about another issue, 'just realize that you are going to lose.'  They can talk smack about seller guarantee, etc. or telling you 'thanks for being the best part of ebay' but the pain has accelerated. 

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

Hello! The buyer damaged my item to get around me not offering returns...”

With respect, are you not just guessing the buyer damaged the item? Why do you believe they are dishonest?( What item was it?)

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

@simplysofishticated wrote:

That would still be the same type of return/case.  How were you permitted to refund less?  

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

That is why I offer returns no questions asked on here. Buyers will do whatever it takes to FORCE you to refund them AND they WILL get their refund, no matter what they do including damaging merchandise.

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

You are darn lucky with a no return policy that they did not go straight to the charge card and file a chargeback. Always a risk of that when you offer no returns, especially with a HIGH VALUE ITEM. My advice to you is do not sell that way. You are asking for trouble.

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

Best way to prevent all kinds of return nonsense on here. Sellers take greater risks here if they do not accept returns. The OP says yeah I sell on Mercurial, Poshy, blah and they say ALL sales FINAL. Yeah RIGHT, uH huh, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NO SALES FINAL ANYWHERE WHETHER THEY TELL YOU THAT OT NOT. They just get on the phone wherever call their chargy card and seller is cooked with a chargeback. Ebay will say, well you said you did not take returns, so chargecard will rule buyer gets to keep the merch. BAD bad.

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

The good thing that Poshmark does however, is they do BAN THE BUYER FOR ETERNITY, on there even with 1 yes one chargeback. Also, they clearly tell buyers on there that they have to and I mean have to submit evidence of their not as described claim to them for them to deal with the return and the CC company. These are things ebay should do. They are lax in this process.

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

The seller protection could be better with a chargeback for sure. Personally as an upstanding seller with free returns and all returns accepted, for one, these buyers should have ZERO reasons to run to a credit card. They need to start a return request, message me, EBAY THE MERCHANT IN QUESTION, before they run to a card.

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

Yo was able to deduct 20%, not the max 50%. You still have protections as a seller. I know it specifies that you have to offer free returns to get it, but maybe if you offer returns you just have it the protection automatically? It’s more of an automated process? I was able to appeal and I won last night. They reversed the partial refund and the case was closed. I’m glad that I was able to get a little bit of money and basically broke even on what I sold it for originally. 

LOL your original post was confusing enough, and this ^ just adds more to it.  
So first the question everyone is asking -how were you able to withhold ANY portion?  Normally a return of a 'no returns' item does not provide the seller with an 'amount' box to type in how much they want to refund.  You just get a prompt the day that the software recognizes the item as Delivered back to you (via the label scan), then you inspect the item, and click Refund, and the buyer is given 100% of their money back, including original shipping.  

But you're saying there was a box to enter an amount as little as 80% of the item price?  

Now for this reply^ what "appeal" did you win?  I thought your buyer was the one appealing the decision you made, to withhold some of the refund.  And what do you mean "they reversed the partial refund."  -They gave the 80% back to you?  

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

@simplysofishticated 

EXACT same thing....

Return Reasons.jpg

Message 30 of 44
latest reply