cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claimed my item didn't work, sent it back, it works, left a bad review. Can I submit proof?

Hi all, I sold a camera to a buyer who was incompetent, didn't know how to turn it on. I don't accept returns, but because of his claim I had to accept the return. I got the camera back, immediately turned it on. I have to issue refund, so I did that today. 

Now they left me a bad review. I appealed in the sellers help hub, but there wasn't an option to submit video proof. I took a video of the camera with the serial number and wrote todays date on a piece of paper. That's the best thing I can think of. Any suggestions of how to get this to eBay?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Buyer claimed my item didn't work, sent it back, it works, left a bad review. Can I submit proof

@jsatmary wrote:

he left a negative review, so I should be able to as well? or at the very least neutral? or no? thanks for your insight

"Should" is a matter of opinion.

eBay's policy is you can't.

If you are asking my opinion: I think eBay should get rid of buyer feedback altogether. Sellers can only leave positive ratings so it's mostly meaningless. eBay will prob never get rid of it as it's such an old-school eBay thing and people would get up in arms over it. All of my buyers get automated pos FB at time of payment so I never have to give it a thought. System does it for me. 🤷

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: Buyer claimed my item didn't work, sent it back, it works, left a bad review. Can I submit proof

"...and we both exchanged some choice words over our messages."

Yeah, that usually results in negative feedback.  Yet another lesson learned.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

You should understand that buyers can and will say anything and eBay will side with them.  In this instance, it might have been as simple as he changed his mind about buying the camera, but for a remorse return, he would have had to pay return shipping.  Buyers don't like to pay return shipping so they fib about a reason for return (like saying something doesn't work when it does) so that the seller will have to pay for the return shipping. 

This was a higher dollar item and I understand that you didn't want to take it back.  But in engaging in a name calling contest with the buyer, he got in the last word by leaving you a negative.  You are very lucky you got the camera back all in one piece, still working.  Some buyers will "accidentally" break an item before returning it, or worse yet, return a box of rocks and then you are out your item and your money.  

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@jsatmary wrote:

he left a negative review, so I should be able to as well? or at the very least neutral? or no? thanks for your insight

You mean you would leave a negative review just because he left you a negative review?

THAT sounds like a good reason sellers can't leave buyers a negative.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Who do you think reads feedback?
Not the buyer. They don't care.

Not eBay. EBay does not use FB to assess seller accounts, that's what Claims are for.

Not other sellers. Most sellers use Fixed Price or Buy It Now and meet buyers only once the purchase is made.

You are writing for YOUR FUTURE CUSTOMERS.

How do you think they would react to a Seller who calls other buyers names?

@wastingtime101  suggested

"Camera was tested and working before shipping to the buyer. After camera was returned, it was tested, powered on and functions with no issues. Unsure why the buyer had difficulties with it. A full refund was issued."

And  I think most experienced sellers here would agree that puts the responsibility on the inept buyer but is still calm, factual, and professional.

BTW- The money you lost on shipping both ways is tax deductible.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Sorry to read this.  EBay takes the buyer side always. Today a buyer claimed that if I ad says "lot 2" and in that ad there are 2 items that means 4 items!  I copied my description to eBay, too  but  she filed a claim and eBay made me to refund her. I'm clearly getting not to understand this world. 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

BTW you can ask eBay to remove your negative feedback. Maybe they do it.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Your buyer left “profanity” in his feedback. I think that is a reason for removal. Try calling again. 

Message 23 of 23
latest reply