cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bought shoes in a wrong size and left a negative feedback

I’m selling shoes in multiple sizes in single listings. One of the listings is for shoes in sizes between EU44 and 50, thus the listing title read as “LAKE CX176 Cycling Shoes: Clarino Navy Wide-Width EU44-50 BRAND NEW”.

The buyer I’m currently having trouble with spotted the listing and somehow thought “EU44-50” meant EU44.5. Then he went into the listing, chose size 44 from the dropdown size options. Of course I shipped size 44 and he received size 44.

Then he messaged me saying he wanted 44.50 (never seen this format for EU sizing before, but he meant 44.5) and my listing title was misleading. I sent him a reply and he felt the tone of it was impolite and gave me a negative feedback.

I don't know how to attach an image here (the camera icon isn't working), but I have a screenshot of the entire conversation between us. In here, he keeps claiming that the shoe model in question, CX176 was available in size 44.5, but as a matter of fact it's the brand’s entry model shoes and never came in half sizes. He was banefully wrong on this subject, but didn’t listen to me.

To sum up, he selected 44 from the size selection by himself (there was no option for 44.5 in it), got upset because he received 44, and retaliated me through the seller rating system.

What can I do to have the feedback reverted?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

This is the series of our messages.

[buyer]

Hello, the shoes were supposed to be EU 44.5 and it's EU 44

[buyer]

These do not fit

[me]

Hi. CX176 comes only in whole sizes like 43, 44 and 45. Size 44.5 doesn't exist. You purchased size 44 and received size 44.

[buyer]

The ad says 44-50

[buyer]

I have also found 44.50 on a different site, do the information you shared isn't accurate, as half numbers do exist

[buyer]

Finally I would kindly ask you to have a more polite tone to your communications. Regards

[me]

44-50 means that the listing offers multiple sizes in the range of 44 and 50. You selected 44 from the dropdown box by yourself, didn't you?There is no half size for CX176. You must've seen CX219 which does come in half sizes, but they're more expensive as the outsole is carbon. I have no intention to be rude or impolite. Just explaining what you bought here.

[buyer]

Your tone continues to be rude and frankly unacceptable. I find your listing misleading. I'll keep a pair of shoes that doesn't fit and provide feedback accordingly. Regards

[me]

I'll send a screenshot of this conversation to eBay.

[buyer]

Please go ahead.

[buyer]

Also kindly refrain for ever contacting me again.

[me]

You misread the listing title 44-50 as 44.5.You selected size 44 from the dropdown box, believing it to be 44.5.You saw a completely different model somewhere else and believed that CX176 was also available in half sizes.None of these is my fault.

[buyer]

I disagree, but even assuming you were right your tone is rude and unacceptable, I kindly asked you to stop messaging me.

[buyer]

Ps. For the records, you may wish to send this to eBay.

https://storkclips.net/product_details/37515934.html

[me]

I had a look at the site you sent me. What you see under the attributes appears to be their generalized apparel size list including clothing. It’s not specific to Lake shoes.To list the facts that contradict the size list…- Lake is a shoe manufacturer and don’t make clothing.- Lake doesn’t make kids shoes.- Lake doesn’t make shoes in size smaller than 36.- Lake doesn’t make shoes in size larger than 50.You can send the store an inquiry, asking if they indeed have CX176 in half sizes. I’m 100% positive that their answer will be no.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Well...

First off yes this happens and it is very unfair, we as sellers receiving negative feedback from a buyer on an issue that is clearly the buyer's fault. It is one of the reasons why I have chosen to reply to any and all buyer problems with a simple:

Dear Buyer,

I am so very sorry you are unhappy with your purchase, please if you will open a return for this item a shipping label will be given you, and once the item has been shipped and delivered back to me I will issue of course a full refund.
Please and thank you for your understanding.
Seller

That's it, just like that. Never get into actual conversations with a buyer, if they're not happy or if they think something is wrong, this kind of situation can devolve very quickly even with the best of intentions, it is in my experience always best to simply "I am so sorry please return the item for a refund" and thank you.

In fact I have it saved in a text so I can just copy and paste it, very little effort, don't even have to type it out. 
That doesn't expressly guarantee the buyer won't leave negative feedback, but then at least I didn't put more effort into it.

It's just not worth it to me, and I am sorry this happened to you, it is not fair.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Not to be 'impolite' but honestly even though the buyer made the mistake, you brought this on yourself.  It never pays to argue with a buyer.  They have most of the leverage in this on eBay.   They can (and still may) initiate a chargeback, can (and still may) file a MBG claim, and they can (and did) leave a negative feedback.  The best answer to a complaint like this is "I am sorry that the shoes don't fit.  Please return them for a refund."  That's it.  Don't try and convince them that they are wrong and don't try to convince them that you are right.  You will never win that.  Just apologize for the inconvenience and ask for a return for a refund.  

If they file a claim or chargeback you have a very good chance of coming out on the losing end because if eBay reads your messages back and forth, they could interpret it as you refusing a return request.  Once that happens, you will almost always lose.

As for the feedback getting removed, good luck.  There is a very slim chance of that happening.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you. Selling online is difficult and dealing with customers is something that you have to do if you want to keep selling.

As broto_64 said it the best......I think the advice is great.

I'm only going to add that if you had a brick and mortar store and this customer came back in to return the shoes you would take them back and refund. You would not stand at the counter arguing with the customer about how they picked out the wrong pair.

If people are using their phones to shop all the information is not always as easy to find or see. Mistakes can be made. 

It is always best to get your item back and refund the customer upon receipt of the item.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Before any attempt to get the FB removed, don't you think you should attempt to fix the problem first?

Tell the buyer to open an NAD case.

Never ever engage in back and forth dialogue.  It rarely works out  well.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Tell the buyer to open an NAD case.

@soh.maryl 

Why?   Isn't 'doesn't fit' considered a remorse return?  Perhaps the buyer would have to return on their own dime instead of lying that the seller sent the wrong item.  

Though it is indeed best NOT to engage in a back and forth debate with the buyer, I am more in favor of

Dear Buyer,
I am sorry you are not happy with your purchase. Please return for a full refund. 
Sincerely, 
Seller

Nobody is required to instruct the buyer how to get a free return. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I'm not terribly familiar with European shoe sizes and can see that 44-50 might be unclear to some (although this buyer should have asked for clarification prior to buying since the drop down menu was clear).  That said, I don't see the buyer's tone was rude, at least initially, but your responses were bound to get a negative response.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I see the seller is in Japan.  We don't know where the buyer is located but that's probably why he doesn't want to return the shoes on his dime.  He would have almost as much tied up in postage as what he paid for the shoes. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your viewpoint.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you all for the advices. I’m pretty impressed that so many of you eBay sellers deal with unreasonable buyers in such a mature manner. I can’t help judging between right and wrong and making arrangements accordingly. Even if I bent and said “sorry, please send the shoes back for a refund” he would probably have left me a negative.

• If they file a claim or chargeback you have a very good chance of coming out on the losing end because if eBay reads your messages back and forth, they could interpret it as you refusing a return request.  Once that happens, you will almost always lose.

My return policy is set to accept no return, so I’m rightfully allowed to refuse a return request, if my understanding is correct.

• I see the seller is in Japan.  We don't know where the buyer is located but that's probably why he doesn't want to return the shoes on his dime.  He would have almost as much tied up in postage as what he paid for the shoes. 

Yes, I’m in Japan and the buyer in UK. He paid $70 for the shoes and $30 for shipping. He also paid $20 as VAT. No, it doesn’t make sense for him to return the shoes with freight prepaid and to get $70 back.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply