cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Wants to Return Item that Doesn't Fit, No Returns Policy

Buyer made a purchase for a shirt which included measurements in the description. The item was delivered 11 days ago. I have a "no returns" policy. The stated reason was that it didn't fit and in the comments, they said it was a cute top but too short. I'd love to provide a great customer service experience to build up my followers/buyers, but something about this isn't sitting right with me. First, why did it take 11 days to determine it didn't fit (maybe that's just me, but I try everything on when I receive it). Second, the measurements were clearly in the description, including length of item. Third, I have found information in these forums to suggest that even though I should not be liable for paying for return shipping, it's possible for the buyer to get a hold of eBay customer service once they realize they will need to pay for shipping and for eBay to then force me to pay for return shipping. Finally, I'm concerned with eBay's policy about items being returned damaged, especially given the length of time since this item was delivered.  eBay does not cover damaged items and instead passes it on to the shipping provider and their "insurance," which is not reassuring to me in the least. 

I've been selling for 11 years, but only randomly. This is the first time I've attempted to open a store and build a small business so if established sellers could provide insight or advice as to how they would handle the situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Imo you are best off to accept the return.  The buyer will have  to pay for return shipping and if the buyer paid for original shipping, you do not have to refund that.  The  buyer is being honest as to why they want the return and I would reward that.   

It sounds like you are giving the correct info in your listings but it is tough to know whether something fits until you try it on.   If I were a clothing seller I would offer buyer paid returns and charge for original shipping to minimize my losses in case of a return. You have to decide what works for you. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

As you probably know, if you refuse the return the buyer may open a dispute with their payment provider although that wouldn’t be my main reason for accepting the return.  If they did that, you likely would not get your item back and you would probably have to refund. 

Btw,  I am one of those buyers who do not immediately try on clothing when I receive it and once I do, I often waffle on whether I like the fit.  So taking 11 days to open the return isn’t necessarily a sign that the buyer has bad intentions.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

No returns does not mean no returns.

I suggest doing the return...otherwise, if eBay has to refund buyer then  buyer keeps item.

I am not sure how buyer opened a return....item not as described would be seller pays for return shipping.

If buyer changed mind then buyer pays for return shipping.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If the buyer asked nicely, I would accept a return if the buyer paid to ship the item back and refund only the cost of the item. Many buyers will rethink the return if they are paying two-way shipping. You are less likely to see hard feelings and false MBG claims as well.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Unless you offer free returns, the buyer would pay return shipping for a remorse return.

Returns doesn't have any insurance using Ebays return labels.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I would accept the return.  Buyer selected "didn't fit" instead of "not as described."  They were honest and will pay return shipping. You won't have to refund your original shipping either.  It does not sound like your buyer is trying to be a problem.  You can re-list it when it is returned and you will have provided great customer service.

Like you, I had a no return policy.  I just recently switched to 30 day returns - buyer pays shipping.  While I really don't want to accept returns, I've come to find out that it is worth it .   The other day I had a buyer open up a damage claim against me.  They altered a label on a product that was new.  I just outright had to refund them - I could no longer sell the item if they returned it because they altered it.  I didn't want to be out the return shipping too.

In that scenario... if I had a 30 day return policy.... I would have had that customer send it back and I could have deducted 50% off of their refund since I am a TRS.  

Something to think about going forward....  I never new about that protection until recently.... I have had no returns for years.   Guess I was lucky that I hadn't run into scammers that often.  Now I will be better prepared.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

---->> First, why did it take 11 days to determine it didn't fit (maybe that's just me, but I try everything on when I receive it).

It may have been a gift for an immediate family member. They bought it ahead of time, gave the gift, found it didn't fit, and now asking to return. That could easily take 11 days.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thank you everyone for the responses. One of the reasons I don't accept returns is because I include shipping in all of my pricing (free shipping). This leads me to believe that I am on the hook for the return shipping. Does anyone know if that would be the case?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

"...I'd love to provide a great customer service experience to build up my followers/buyers..."

You really answered your own question in this statement.....what defines great customer service?

lip service or actually helping what (on the surface) appears to be an honest customer?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Did they open a case or just asking to return? 

If asking. Tell them they can send back (their cost) and after receiving, you will refund the order. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

They did open a case. Reason selected was "doesn't fit." Clicking on the "why were they able to ask for a return when I don't accept them" in the eBay says they still allow the request. I'm okay with initiating the return but am curious who pays for shipping since I include shipping in the purchase price. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@bellisboutique wrote:

Thank you everyone for the responses. One of the reasons I don't accept returns is because I include shipping in all of my pricing (free shipping). This leads me to believe that I am on the hook for the return shipping. Does anyone know if that would be the case?

Thanks!

No, the buyer would pay return shipping.

If you didn't offer free shipping, you could deduct the original shipping the buyer paid from the refund.

With free shipping, the buyer would get a full refund, if you accept the return.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@bellisboutique wrote:

They did open a case. Reason selected was "doesn't fit." Clicking on the "why were they able to ask for a return when I don't accept them" in the eBay says they still allow the request. I'm okay with initiating the return but am curious who pays for shipping since I include shipping in the purchase price. 

If you accept the return, the buyer will be provided a shipping label, which Ebay will charge the buyer for it.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

You will not be able to deduct the initial shipping you paid since you offer free shipping.  The buyer should be on the hook for the return shipping. 

Since you have a no return policy, the case should allow you to deny the return for remorse.  Sellers with a return policy are not permitted to do that. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply