cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Requirements page

I was just checking my Buyer requirements page and something is missing. At the very bottom the box for: Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make a bid is missing.

It was there the last time I checked last week. I wish eBay would make up it's mind what they are doing rather than have to constantly check to see if they have changed something else.

Capture.PNG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Buyer Requirements page

@steady2304 

I asked them about it in the seller update forums.  So far, no response.  But check back there because they might answer it.   There was a reference to doing "something" to reduce non-payers again, but not what the plan was.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/2024-Winter-Seller-Update/Reduce-unpaid-items-when-sending-offers-to-b...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

My buyer requirement page still shows this option, although I am not sure if that actually works, based on the inquiries I get from some buyers.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

Hi @steady2304 

I noticed it too last week, used to be one for the Auction flow per this pic from the past.  I think they are in the process of making some changes based on the Seller Update released today, they mention ongoing "protections" with regard to unpaid item if memory serves.  It almost sounded like Buyers will have no choice but to provide payment methods when placing bids on Auctions. This may be the result of many Buyers abusing the Bid Retraction process or shill bidding on multiple IDs and then retracting bids so the actual sold price drops.  This could mean bid retraction is or will be going away at some point.

Screenshot (161).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

You have NO auctions- so there is NO NEED for it. 

Since all your items are 'buy it now'- Use 'immediate payment required' which is in a 'different' place in the 'preferences. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

My buyer requirement page still shows this option, 

@martin2001 

Your page shows both?  

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

The one that was removed for most everyone was the one for placing a bid. 

The one that remains pertains to making offers.  From what others are reporting, if you keep the remaining one regarding offers set to  YES, it still requires a buyer to put up a payment source, but they will likely no longer be auto billed.  eBay is still tweaking this with the "accepted offers turning into YOU SENT AN OFFER scenario where the buyer is not told that the offer was accepted, but rather shows up to the buyer as YOU HAVE AN OFFER...... yada yada as has been going on for a few weeks and causing general confusion. 

The other thing mentioned in the Seller Update was as follows:  "We're actively testing solutions that require buyers to provide payment information before they submit bids to reduce unpaid items in Auctions." 

This has in the past been directly related to the "preference" that is now missing.  I was enrolled AS A BUYER  into forced participation in order to bid.  Which of course was not smoother, enhanced, for my benefit whatsoever as eBay proclaimed.  If I participated, it would mean I pay full price for every auction I won from the same seller.    So I just didn't participate, where in the past I would bid on many items at a time. 

Now that requirement for auctions appears to be GONE, so I wonder what else eBay has come up with to "reduce unpaid items".  What ever it is,  it does not appear that it is going to be a seller's choice, since the preference that could be turned off so combined shipping could commence has been eliminated.  

The one for making offers that they have been playing with, and have now said once again will reduce unpaid items is nothing of the sort.  The buyer can simply ignore it, and not pay at all, and probably will if they want to combine multiple items.  

eBay has also been trying to convince sellers to offer shipping discounts to buyers.  They even had people call sellers on the phone trying to get them to offer the eBay discounted shipping label price to buyers as some sort of incentive to increase sales.  The best way to offer discounted shipping to buyers has always been combined shipping (paying $6 for ten pairs of earrings instead of $50).  For some reason, eBay seems determined to get rid of combined shipping.  Do they want the extra 40 cents per listing from the seller who gets ten individual payments from the same buyer bad enough to discourage multiple sales?   Do they benefit enough by counting ten sales from a buyer for their GMV total instead of ONE combined order/payment to turn be able to afford turning buyers away?    

For some reason I am not sure any of this dog and pony show is all  about unpaid items. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

No. I see only one option. Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.   I do remember that it worked for a brief period of time, i.e. the buyer did not have to pay immediately after I accepted an offer.

Endless “improvements”. I guess they need to fire another 5000 people to just stop tinkering with everything 24/7/365

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

You have NO auctions- so there is NO NEED for it. 

Since all your items are 'buy it now'- Use 'immediate payment required' which is in a 'different' place in the 'preferences. 

@stainlessenginecovers 

And why would I want to do that. I sell in a very specific category that has a low nonpayer rate. I would prefer my buyers to get the best deal possible if purchasing or making offers on my items. Just because I don't have any items with Best Offer currently running doesn't mean i don't send offers to interested watchers occasionally. One size does not fit all.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

@steady2304 

I just posted this thread that you may want to comment on:

Winter Seller update 2024 - Auto-pay for Auctions - The eBay Community

Regards,
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

@mr_lincoln 

Thank you. I have already made my view clear on that thread also. 

The bottom line is if it makes eBay more money it doesn't matter what buyers or sellers want.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Buyer Requirements page

@steady2304 

Yes, FEES are their only real income be that from Sellers or advertising.  

Regards,
Message 11 of 11
latest reply