cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Requests Cancel Two Days After Item Shipped

A buyer purchased a bowl from me on Sept. 27.  I shipped the same day.  She received it on the 29th.

On the 29th, she purchased another bowl--there were two offered individually in the same listing.  Again, I shipped the same day.  She should receive it tomorrow, Oct. 2.

Today I got a message saying that she wants to cancel because she "didn't know how this order got placed twice."  But she wants to return in any case.

I almost never get returns (maybe one a year) and surely never for this reason.  So I'm interested in how other sellers proceed.  What would you do?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Buyer Requests Cancel Two Days After Item Shipped

@*eponymous* wrote:

There is no case in the resolution center.

Authorizing the refusal through eBay messages and issuing a full refund on return would be an appropriate and professional response.

Which by doing that, the seller would need to send a cancellation request to recoup the FVF's.

By going through the resolution center, it's all automatic, plus, I assume that the buyer can print a return label cheaper than paying retail rates at the counter.

@zzydny wrote:

A buyer purchased a bowl from me on Sept. 27.  I shipped the same day.  She received it on the 29th.

On the 29th, she purchased another bowl--there were two offered individually in the same listing.  Again, I shipped the same day.  She should receive it tomorrow, Oct. 2.

Today I got a message saying that she wants to cancel because she "didn't know how this order got placed twice."  But she wants to return in any case.

I almost never get returns (maybe one a year) and surely never for this reason.  So I'm interested in how other sellers proceed.  What would you do?

When I first started selling, I had no returns and I seemed to have more problems than anything with that setting. A few years ago, I changed to accept all returns and have so many less issues and it's helped my business. Some of the customers who have returned items because they just didn't suit them have come back and repurchased several times. It works for me, but it may not work for everyone. 

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

@zzydny wrote:

When I first started selling, I had no returns and I seemed to have more problems than anything with that setting. A few years ago, I changed to accept all returns and have so many less issues and it's helped my business. Some of the customers who have returned items because they just didn't suit them have come back and repurchased several times. It works for me, but it may not work for everyone. 

I've done the same thing.  It's easier with automated returns.

.....unfortunately, the buyer is now saying that she wants to refuse the package or have me refund shipping both ways.  This is a nuisance.  I have asked her to use the Resolution Center.

I also have another buyer returning the items that she bought last week.  This is the most returns I've ever had at once! 

And my printer died the other day so I had to buy a new one.  Money was already really tight at my house.  Now it's just non-existent.    Oh well, being negative will do no one any good.  Where one door closes, another opens.  Something good is waiting to happen.  I will choose to believe that.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

@zzydny wrote:

.....unfortunately, the buyer is now saying that she wants to refuse the package or have me refund shipping both ways.  This is a nuisance.  I have asked her to use the Resolution Center.

I also have another buyer returning the items that she bought last week.  This is the most returns I've ever had at once! 

And my printer died the other day so I had to buy a new one.  Money was already really tight at my house.  Now it's just non-existent.    Oh well, being negative will do no one any good.  Where one door closes, another opens.  Something good is waiting to happen.  I will choose to believe that.

Keep believing that because it is true. There are the hills and valley's. Lately I've been in a valley, but I know it does turn around. Hang in there. I think this month will turn to the positive you....and hopefully me. wink

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

@zzydny wrote:

Keep believing that because it is true. There are the hills and valley's. Lately I've been in a valley, but I know it does turn around. Hang in there. I think this month will turn to the positive you....and hopefully me. wink

Thanks; I needed that.  I very much hope the same for you as well.  An old WW2 veteran once told me that it is when we are in the valley that our souls are restored.  I believe that with all my heart. 

Let's go list stuff and sell! Cat Very Happy

Message 20 of 20
latest reply