cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Circumvented Block - was still allowed to leave negative feedback?

Hi All,

A buyer who circumvented a block I had on their main account used a secondary account to purchase the cheapest item on my store very clearly with the intent to leave negative feedback. I talked with an ebay representative on the phone and they confirmed it was the same user (same address and last name on their account), and told me it would be okay to cancel the sale and that the buyer would not be able to leave a negative review.

However, the "buyer" ended up leaving a negative review and when I requested feedback removal, I was denied even though the buyer very clearly broke Ebay ToS by circumventing the block on their main account. In fact, even after providing more details to ebay I lost my appeal to have this feedback removed again, with them claiming the buyers experience is legitimate...

It is very wrong to me that ebay will just let any person looking for revenge to leave negative feedback even if they go out of their way to break ToS to do so. I am also bothered that they won't even consider the fact that a customer service rep advised me that it's okay to simply cancel the order, and that there is this previous solved community post stating it's okay to cancel an order with "issue with buyer's address" when you're certain they are circumventing a block.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting negative feedback in this situation removed? I am really shocked that ebay is siding with the "buyer" in my situation... would appreciate any advice if possible and especially if an ebay employee could explain my situation is different from the one linked above : /

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

History in this forum shows that CS reps will often tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone. Most often they are incorrect as in your case.
According to eBay Order Cancellation policy Only orders cancelled for non payment is when a buyer can't leave feedback. 
The post you referred to was from 2 years ago, policies changed since then.
IMG_1566.jpeg

Message 2 of 119
latest reply

I knew they would be able to leave the feedback, but my surprise is more the fact that I lost the appeal to have the feedback removed. It seems really odd to me that ebay can't understand why it's wrong to allow buyers who you have blocked on their other accounts to leave negative feedback.

What even is the right action in this case? Eat the INAD case coming my way from the "buyer" looking for revenge? Just take the negative feedback? Hope the buyer slips up and uses foul language so you can remove it in that case? It seems like a huge lose lose for the seller, and as a low volume seller this actually could imapct me. I get that for bigger sellers who have 1000's of reviews that this wouldn't really matter. idk, it just really rubs me the wrong way.

Message 3 of 119
latest reply

The feedback wasn't removed because it doesn't violate eBay's feedback policy.

Plus the other account was blocked not the current one. 
If the buyer opens an INAD issue the return receive the item back then refund. Perhaps then you can have the feedback removed because you took care of the buyer by refunding. 

Message 4 of 119
latest reply

"...I talked with an ebay representative on the phone and they confirmed it was the same user (same address and last name on their account), and told me it would be okay to cancel the sale and that the buyer would not be able to leave a negative review..."

to me, this seems off....an ebay CS actually told you this? and then said to "cancel" a legitimate order?

This makes no sense to me.....maybe a more experienced member can chime in...

it troubles me that a CS can pass on that information to "anyone"

Message 5 of 119
latest reply

The other account of the same user was blocked, yes.. Ebay confirmed it was the same user. 

Do you not think it's wrong for the user to create a second account simply to buy an item with the intent of leaving negative feedback? What would happen if they bought like 5 items and left negative feedback for all of them, is that not an issue? I am having a hard time understand how it does not violate ebay's feedback manipulation policy. Also, they rated me on things like shipping speed and cost, how is that even possible if they got refunded the shipping cost? 

Message 6 of 119
latest reply

Yes, the ebay customer service rep confirmed that the address on file for both the blocked account and the "buyers" account was identical. Whether or not they should have told me that is definitely questionable, but I appreciated it at the time. And they did legitimately tell me I can cancel the order without worry, which i clearly understand now was a lie and I agree with the first commenter that they probably just told me that to get me to hang up quicker.

But I can assure you that this was not a legitimate order. It was a seller that I left a neutral review for looking for revenge. 

Message 7 of 119
latest reply

I guess my point (other than the concern of a CS "linking" an account) is that if you would have followed through with the order "by the book", could there still have been the same result?

regardless of the 'advice', it is never good to cancel an order....that leaves you exposed to what happened without any recourse for you.

If you follow thropugh with the order, even with a "false" INAD, you would be able to at least try to have the bad feedback removed if it was inaccurate (based on facts, not hypothesis)

Message 8 of 119
latest reply

I have not sold on this platform for a good while, but my first experience dates back to 1998. Ebay has changed so much in the last few years alone - not to mention in the last few decades.  It seems all the rules have changed so that they support the buyer on most every issue; sellers are out in the cold. Because ebay is in the business of making money, as is every business, it has found that it's policies must favor the buyer. This is both unfortunate and unfair because what ebay seems to have disregarded is the fact that without sellers there are no buyers. Even more sad is the fact that they seem to have forgotten that the total of their income (profits) comes from sellers.  So why do we sellers get the very short end of the stick? Because ebay is confident that sellers will not migrate to the many other selling platforms offered over the last ten or so years - and it seems they have guessed correctly, as more and more new sellers are added to their rolls. The level of customer service has also taken a nosedive compared to what if was when I started - but whose service department hasn't? Getting you off the phone is the priority. Almost nobody truly cares anymore; it's all about a dollar. Sorry for your experience, but don't let it consume or deter you. Just learn, keep going, and make yourself better fortune in the future. Good luck.

Message 9 of 119
latest reply

I know you're right, and i've seen countless similar stories over the past couple years. it's disappointing but I guess I will just have to learn to let stuff like this go if I want to continue selling on this platform.

Message 10 of 119
latest reply

And remember too, that because you have the option to respond APPROPRIATELY to negative feedback, ethical potential buyers will see your point of view and not be deterred from placing their bids. Just remember to respond professionally and not emotionally.

Message 11 of 119
latest reply

The user appears to have had the account for a bit since they have 33 feedback. If the buyer created a new account just to harm your account their feedback wouldn't be 33 it would be zero. 

The feedback the buyer left was the direct result of you canceling the transaction. And is their opinion of what transpired.

I'm willing to bet if you hadn't listened to the poor advice given by CS you may not be here now. And the buyer may not have given you negative feedback.  

That buyer may have made a legitimate purchase and since the buyer may have more than one account may be unaware you blocked one of them. 

I think it was a knee jerk decision that ended badly. 

Message 12 of 119
latest reply

@hkgcwobu wrote:

Hi All,

A buyer who circumvented a block I had on their main account used a secondary account to purchase the cheapest item on my store very clearly with the intent to leave negative feedback. I talked with an ebay representative on the phone and they confirmed it was the same user (same address and last name on their account), and told me it would be okay to cancel the sale and that the buyer would not be able to leave a negative review.

However, the "buyer" ended up leaving a negative review and when I requested feedback removal, I was denied even though the buyer very clearly broke Ebay ToS by circumventing the block on their main account. In fact, even after providing more details to ebay I lost my appeal to have this feedback removed again, with them claiming the buyers experience is legitimate...

It is very wrong to me that ebay will just let any person looking for revenge to leave negative feedback even if they go out of their way to break ToS to do so. I am also bothered that they won't even consider the fact that a customer service rep advised me that it's okay to simply cancel the order, and that there is this previous solved community post stating it's okay to cancel an order with "issue with buyer's address" when you're certain they are circumventing a block.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting negative feedback in this situation removed? I am really shocked that ebay is siding with the "buyer" in my situation... would appreciate any advice if possible and especially if an ebay employee could explain my situation is different from the one linked above : /

I have succeeded in getting these removed. I had to talk to a CSR, and explain that if they're on my BBL, they're not allowed to buy. If they circumvent my BBL, they're breaking the rules, and still not allowed to buy. People who aren't allowed to buy, shouldn't be buying, and thus should not be able to leave feedback. If he hadn't circumvented the block he wouldn't have been able to purchase which means he couldn't leave feedback.

It's a little bit of a circular argument, but keep going with that with a CSR by phone until you get someone who understands the argument.

I think it's only happened once that someone circumvented the BBL and I cancelled (when I found out who they are) and they left the worst feedback imaginable, calling me a "disgusting seller". The third time they had a new account and circumvented the block on the other two accounts (because eBay kept kicking him off), I reported the third account when I cancelled (as problem with address) and eBay canned the third account within ours. Now if he buys again I'm just going to report him and let eBay do it's thing, seeing as how they obviously don't want him as a customer.

C.

Message 13 of 119
latest reply

@hkgcwobu wrote:

I knew they would be able to leave the feedback, but my surprise is more the fact that I lost the appeal to have the feedback removed. It seems really odd to me that ebay can't understand why it's wrong to allow buyers who you have blocked on their other accounts to leave negative feedback.

What even is the right action in this case? Eat the INAD case coming my way from the "buyer" looking for revenge? Just take the negative feedback? Hope the buyer slips up and uses foul language so you can remove it in that case? It seems like a huge lose lose for the seller, and as a low volume seller this actually could imapct me. I get that for bigger sellers who have 1000's of reviews that this wouldn't really matter. idk, it just really rubs me the wrong way.

Don't give up, you can get it removed. Just talk to them by phone. Speak to Trust and Safety if you have to.

C.

Message 14 of 119
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

"...I talked with an ebay representative on the phone and they confirmed it was the same user (same address and last name on their account), and told me it would be okay to cancel the sale and that the buyer would not be able to leave a negative review..."

to me, this seems off....an ebay CS actually told you this? and then said to "cancel" a legitimate order?

This makes no sense to me.....maybe a more experienced member can chime in...

it troubles me that a CS can pass on that information to "anyone"

If you make enough calls, you'd be surprised what you learned. It's happened a few times something wonky was going on and I called eBay to find out more info and they looked into the buyer's account.

eBay will also tell your buyer if you've placed them on your BBL if they call and ask them why they can't buy. I've been the buyer in this situation once, and I have received messages from people who knew they were actually blocked by me (not just a permission that doesn't permit them to buy).

C.

Message 15 of 119
latest reply