cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Circumvented Block - was still allowed to leave negative feedback?

Hi All,

A buyer who circumvented a block I had on their main account used a secondary account to purchase the cheapest item on my store very clearly with the intent to leave negative feedback. I talked with an ebay representative on the phone and they confirmed it was the same user (same address and last name on their account), and told me it would be okay to cancel the sale and that the buyer would not be able to leave a negative review.

However, the "buyer" ended up leaving a negative review and when I requested feedback removal, I was denied even though the buyer very clearly broke Ebay ToS by circumventing the block on their main account. In fact, even after providing more details to ebay I lost my appeal to have this feedback removed again, with them claiming the buyers experience is legitimate...

It is very wrong to me that ebay will just let any person looking for revenge to leave negative feedback even if they go out of their way to break ToS to do so. I am also bothered that they won't even consider the fact that a customer service rep advised me that it's okay to simply cancel the order, and that there is this previous solved community post stating it's okay to cancel an order with "issue with buyer's address" when you're certain they are circumventing a block.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting negative feedback in this situation removed? I am really shocked that ebay is siding with the "buyer" in my situation... would appreciate any advice if possible and especially if an ebay employee could explain my situation is different from the one linked above : /

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

Re: Buyer Circumvented Block - was still allowed to leave negative feedback?

Thank you. 🙂

Message 106 of 119
latest reply

@palominoproductions wrote:

Why shouldn't sellers warn other sellers of a buyers bad behavior?  Why can't sellers leave negative feedback?

It's a complicated subject, but one that has been discussed here countless times.  You can find tons of threads about it by using the search function.  Sorry if that sounds flippant but I don't want to steer this thread too far off-topic.  The only reason I brought it up was because (as the rules stand) it IS a violation for a seller to say anything negative about a buyer in feedback, so now I wonder if buyers who report it get equally bad responses from eBay as sellers (now) do, when buyers violate policy.  

Basically the gist is, eBay laid off tons of employees recently, so there just aren't enough (especially English-fluent and eBay-fluent) ones to handle the workload.  I figure if the default is to NOT remove feedback for sellers, then it should be the same for buyers, but who knows. 

Message 107 of 119
latest reply

Personally, I like twitter and fb for the message history so I never have to worry about transcripts. The platforms save the messages.

But basically what this thread boils down to is an allegation of eBay policy violation due to circumventing eBay's system.

If people think that outsourced CSR reps are capable to handling this type of allegation then I don't know what to tell them.

Message 108 of 119
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@palominoproductions wrote:

Why shouldn't sellers warn other sellers of a buyers bad behavior?  Why can't sellers leave negative feedback?

It's a complicated subject, but one that has been discussed here countless times.  You can find tons of threads about it by using the search function.  Sorry if that sounds flippant but I don't want to steer this thread too far off-topic.  The only reason I brought it up was because (as the rules stand) it IS a violation for a seller to say anything negative about a buyer in feedback, so now I wonder if buyers who report it get equally bad responses from eBay as sellers (now) do, when buyers violate policy.  

Basically the gist is, eBay laid off tons of employees recently, so there just aren't enough (especially English-fluent and eBay-fluent) ones to handle the workload.  I figure if the default is to NOT remove feedback for sellers, then it should be the same for buyers, but who knows. 

Isn't that a bit of an overstatement.  Ebay laid off about 1,000 employees or around 8%.  While any layoff is very bad for those losing their jobs, overstating the issue serves no good purpose.  

I did not see or find a break down of which jobs were laid off.  Where did you find that it was a significant loss of fluent English speaking employees?

Amazon is cutting more than 10% of their employees.

Paypal is cutting about 9%

And many others this year unfortunately.  It is really very concerning to be sure as it is all kinds of industries that are laying off people.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 109 of 119
latest reply

Whatever the reason, there has been a recent, very sudden, spike in posts by sellers describing cases of eBay refusing to delete policy-violating negative feedback from buyers.  EFB has even stated they will no longer review feedback removal requests.  Also they are using instant automated responses for many sellers seeking resolution there (for all kinds of topics, not just feedback), apparently by utilizing AI to "read" their messages and determine whether they "need" humans to read and respond or not.  

These are all recent changes.  And if they have nothing to do with understaffing (particularly understaffing English-fluent and Ebay-fluent ) employees, then I don't know what the reason is.  Maybe it's what the most rabid Community posters seem to think, that eBay just wants sellers to fail, and leave eBay, sue eBay, etc.  

Message 110 of 119
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Whatever the reason, there has been a recent, very sudden, spike in posts by sellers describing cases of eBay refusing to delete policy-violating negative feedback from buyers.  EFB has even stated they will no longer review feedback removal requests.  Also they are using instant automated responses for many sellers seeking resolution there (for all kinds of topics, not just feedback), apparently by utilizing AI to "read" their messages and determine whether they "need" humans to read and respond or not.  

These are all recent changes.  And if they have nothing to do with understaffing (particularly understaffing English-fluent and Ebay-fluent ) employees, then I don't know what the reason is.  Maybe it's what the most rabid Community posters seem to think, that eBay just wants sellers to fail, and leave eBay, sue eBay, etc.  

You are absolutely correct, but "whatever the reason" matters.  Each one of those has to be taken on a case by case basis and each have their own individual circumstances.  I've been involved on quite a few of those threads.  Most that have recently been posted are because they couldn't get the FB removed because they didn't breach any rule.

Just because a seller thinks the FB should be removed doesn't mean it should.  Most that posted on the threads were pretty happy that Ebay ended the perk some sellers had getting negative FB removed [a certain amount every 90 days] just cuz they asked.  Two of the more recent threads were by sellers that were upset they lost this perk.

The FB removal request is a function each of us can do on the site.  That is what they were talking about.  And yes it is mostly processed by AI.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/protections/seller-help

If this request doesn't turn out the way the seller wanted, they can then contact Ebay for a review of the FB.  But when a seller contacts Ebay to appeal the decision, the FB still has to break some rule of FB to get removed.  FB is no longer being removed just because the seller doesn't like it or agree with it.

It is unlikely the layoffs had anything to do with it, but my crystal ball isn't telling me why they started this more difficult process.  Ebay makes changes all the time to all kinds of things.  Some make sense to me, others don't.

With that said we can typically get an FB removed if it breaks policy.  I help sellers accomplish this all the time and that hasn't recently change.  Sometimes I've helped them on the threads, other times someone contacts me via private message.

With all that said, the subject of this thread, the situation the OP finds them in, I see as a failure of Ebay to apply policy.  The OP should be able to get that FB removed for cause.  But unfortunately I can't make this determination for the OP, Ebay has to do it and they seem bent on ignoring the issue.

Message 111 of 119
latest reply

I disagree but I'm not going to scroll through the past few months of threads to re-read and tally the number of posts by sellers whose negative feedback WAS against policy (and everyone in the thread agreed, it wasn't just the seller "thinking" so) but they couldn't get it removed no matter what they tried ..... I just know I've seen a lot more of those in recent months than in the past, and I've seen many other experienced and Community-active sellers say the same thing.  

Message 112 of 119
latest reply

Quick update for you and anyone else who may come across this thread later.

Ebay still refuses to remove the illegitimate feedback the "buyer" left me. Yet that same person got my actual honest neutral feedback on their profile removed. Absolutely insane the favoritism ebay is displaying here. Not sure if they are favoring this person so heavily because they are a top-rated seller who has a long history with ebay and likely sells significantly more than me, but it's extremely disappointing they let anyone break the rules and then even reward them for it. They literally provided evidence of themself defrauding ebay during a return deduction and ebay is rewarding them for it. Never change ebay

Message 113 of 119
latest reply

As you know I've been trying to help you.  Just so you know, the fact the buyer may be TRS and have a long history, has nothing to do with this at all.  Ebay doesn't take that into consideration in this process.

I am very disappointed for you!

Message 114 of 119
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you. To avoid this type of retaliatory behavior in the future, buy from a separate account.

Message 115 of 119
latest reply

@rockystradingpost wrote:

I'm sorry this happened to you. To avoid this type of retaliatory behavior in the future, buy from a separate account.

How would that help?  I think you misunderstood something. 

The buyer purchased from the seller [OP] before, it was a problem [I don't know what the issue was].  The Seller put the buyer on their BBL.  Then the buyer used a different account to circumvent the block to purchase from them again.

Message 116 of 119
latest reply

@hkgcwobu wrote:

Ebay still refuses to remove the illegitimate feedback the "buyer" left me. Yet that same person got my actual honest neutral feedback on their profile removed. 

I don't understand.  -Buyers can't receive neutrals.  

Message 117 of 119
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@hkgcwobu wrote:

Ebay still refuses to remove the illegitimate feedback the "buyer" left me. Yet that same person got my actual honest neutral feedback on their profile removed. 

I don't understand.  -Buyers can't receive neutrals.  

I think the OP meant the neutral they left when THEY were the buyer... there was a transaction where the OP bought from the buyer before they buyer bought from them.

C.

Message 118 of 119
latest reply

Ahhhhh, thank you.  I forgot this story started with a reverse buyer-seller chapter.  
Well at face value I'd say this OP has plenty to be upset about.  But the part about the other person getting the neutral removed -my guess is it was about blind policy application as opposed to favoritism.  Like I bet the OP described (yes, honestly) the scenario about that person wrongfully taking 50% out of the refund and how they reported this but nothing happened.   If I'm correct about that, then the reason the comment got deleted was simply because of the policy against mentioning eBay decisions in sellers' feedback.  

Seems to me the seller is just the extremely unfortunate combination of informed, clever, corrupt and vindictive.   If I had to guess, they have the eBay version of a comic book villain story, where they were wronged in the past by one or more buyers with similar callousness and skills, so now they unleash their angst on innocent buyers (and even more angst if a buyer also happens to be a seller).  

Message 119 of 119
latest reply