cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking a potential buyer before they ever buy anything

I've been selling on here for over 20 years, and I've developed a 6th sense for being able to detect a trouble buyer just based on messages they send to me asking questions about what I'm selling.  I won't point to anything specific, but often I just know.   You can just tell buy what they're asking and how they're asking it that they're going to be trouble.  And more often than not, I end up being right.

I've gotten to the point of being tempted to just plain block these people before they ever make a purchase.  Is this an appropriate action, or does it have any potential downfalls (other than possibly losing a legitimate sale) ?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@brandonsvsu 

Never question your 6th sense! Absolutely go with your gut!

People who send numerous messages, especially about information already in a description, we have found to be more trouble down the road.

Not to say all buyers who ask questions are trouble, but if your gut says they will be, block and move on.

Happy Selling 🛍

Kiks

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

To the best of my knowledge, any seller can block any seller for any reason, or for no reason at all.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I know I've blocked ID's whose "Feedback left" reflected a disproportionate amount of red donuts, I normally don't check buyer feedback in that sense but on certain special occasions I may.

I have also blocked one or two who asked me certain questions before even buying that gave me an indication they didn't know what they were getting themselves into, this one's especially true of parts that require some kind of skill to install... I've had to deal with many product returns where buyers claim something is wrong with what I sold them, only to find out it was the buyer's lack of education or experience at fault. Gets to the point I get tired of paying to ship my products around the country for show and tells.

I am also more prone to blocking buyers right after I've had one or more negative selling experiences, especially when those experiences are consecutive and related to one another and here comes a buyer who fits the pattern.

I've blocked buyers based on conversations in this community.

In most cases I remove blocked buyers from the "list" after a few years, except the serial negaters, I don't play with those, they never come off. Presently I have 26 ID's on the blocked bidder list.

So yes, I do.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

A seller is free to block whoever they want. In rare instances, yes, a seller can tell who is trouble. Most sellers though, use the block feature because they really just want to be hard to deal with, thinking buyers should bow to them. They think they have power over buyers.

1 Any buyer, even a blocked one, can still buy your stuff if they want to. All they have to do is use another account or buy as a guest. 

2 Being the difficult type and blocking buyer will hurt your sales. Block everyone if you want to, but it's not going to get you better or more sales.  You don't get to hand pick who buys from you. It's the internet and you are selling on a global stage. If you want to have a storefront to refuse service or a yard sale, you are free to do that too. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Most sellers though just use the block feature because they really want to be hard to deal with and think buyers should bow to them?

Really -- may I assume that you have actual statistics to prove this claim?  

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Sellers block buyers because sellers always lose money when the buyer is just a hardo.  Buyers on eBay can get very entitled, thinking this is the old days when everything worked better in our society.  Sellers on eBay only have the block feature as a tool for protection.  eBay clearly favors the buyer.  It's lopsided.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I have always blocked what I identify to be a "high maintenance customer". Many sellers do. Masochists do not.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the reminder, I have someone I need to block right now 😉

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Some of the "Buyers"  I've blocked over the years were blocked before they actually became a buyer.

Instinct is real.   Always listen to that little voice.   He (Or she)  is rarely wrong.   

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I do this as well. However it doesn't always work. I've blocked a troublesome buyer on two occasions and they just keep purchasing on other ids. The buyer abused returns 2-3 times to earn the block in the first place, one of those times sending back something altogether if I recall correctly.  

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

buyselljack2016_0-1714062674708.jpeg.............

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

You can just tell by what they're asking

Some of my best repeat buyers started out by being generally annoying and asking a lot of questions that were already answered by the listing.

I get the sense they had been burned in the past by inaccurate descriptions, and when I took the time to answer their questions and reassure them and deliver as promised they rewarded me with loyalty.

But my past experiences are not your past experience, and every seller needs to do what is best for them based on their experience.

Is this an appropriate action

A seller is free to block any buyer they choose.

does it have any potential downfalls

On a platform where buyers can create new accounts and retaliate against sellers, there is always a small chance that a buyer will react badly to a block.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Gee!  I’m a seller and also a buyer.

I recently wanted to buy another bathrobe identical to one I already had + bought in a store.

I saw one here on eBay and it was pictured with a few pix and a minor description.

I didn’t see if it also had an inner tie to keep it completely shut as I wear it outside my apartment when I take out the garbage  🗑️  down the hall to behind the service elevator.

My next door neighbor said I should buy another one identical because I obviously wear it so much and love 💕 it and she’s the only person really who ever sees me all the time only in this bathrobe never ever dressed!

So I had to ask the buyer the question if this bathrobe she was selling has the inner tie as no pix of this inner tie + no mention of it!

I tried very politely to ask the question.  She said yes.  I bought the bathrobe this time in brown and white, the 1st one identical was black and white.

I’ve been wanting to show off my new bathrobe to my next door neighbor who so far hasn’t seen it yet!  My neighbor actually pushed me to get another one!

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

A seller is free to block whoever they want. In rare instances, yes, a seller can tell who is trouble. Most sellers though, use the block feature because they really just want to be hard to deal with, thinking buyers should bow to them. They think they have power over buyers.

1 Any buyer, even a blocked one, can still buy your stuff if they want to. All they have to do is use another account or buy as a guest. 

2 Being the difficult type and blocking buyer will hurt your sales. Block everyone if you want to, but it's not going to get you better or more sales.  You don't get to hand pick who buys from you. It's the internet and you are selling on a global stage. If you want to have a storefront to refuse service or a yard sale, you are free to do that too. 

I fail to understand why you continue to use ebay and why you post here. IMO, you aren't offering helpful advice or answers to buyers but rather, expressing your consistent and continuing displeasure with ebay. 

In response to your 1 and 2 opinions, I'll post my opinion. 

1. Any buyer, even a blocked one, can still buy your stuff if they want to. All they have to do is use another account or buy as a guest. 

A buyer who circumvents a seller's block to violate ebay policy (and the block) was rightfully deserving of the block and if reported, is likely to find that ebay blocks their IP. 

2. Being the difficult type and blocking buyer will hurt your sales. 

It's the buyers who are difficult and sellers who are using one of the few means ebay allows for them to protect themselves. I've dodged more bullets than I can count because I freely block any ID that my instinct senses red flags. (Maybe I've been wrong in a few cases but mostly, I've done the right thing.) And I don't care if problem buyers don't spend their money on my items. There are enough good buyers that the right one will come along. 

Block everyone if you want to, but it's not going to get you better or more sales

No, blocking doesn't get me more sales but it sure helps thwart sales that are likely to go south.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 19
latest reply