cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Americana

I'm a bit confused,

I placed a lot of 2 miniature cloth black Americana dolls (grandpa and grandma) on eBay and after they were sold I received a notice from eBay that my listing was removed as per their offensive material policy.

However there are  other miniature cloth black Americana dolls listed for sale on eBay and similar ones have sold.

My question is...why was my listing removed and others were not. Thanks

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Black Americana

Why have a Black Americana category if you're not allowed to list Black Americana?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Black Americana

No rhyme or reason. Bots just do what bots do.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

The short answer is that you got caught. Out of curiousity, did eBay allow the sale to go through?

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

Why have a Black Americana category if you're not allowed to list Black Americana?

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

You got caught and now you are being watched closely now. Others have not yet.

And if you had like a 1000+ items for sale you might not have got caught so quickly.

That's a very touchy subject to sell on eBay even though they are a part of history.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Exactly to your first point... no rhyme or reason.

Oh, I only asked the OP that because I wondered where eBay stood on it after it slipped through, yet they'd been paid.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@greatgramps wrote:

I placed a lot of 2 miniature cloth black Americana dolls (grandpa and grandma) on eBay

and after they were sold I received a notice from eBay

that my listing was removed as per their offensive material policy. 

Out of curiousity, did eBay allow the sale to go through? 

If that material policy is offensive, why not rewrite it so it's no longer offensive?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

You were reported. An Ebay employee reviewed the report. That Ebay employee verified the fact that it was offensive. This is one of the rare situations where Ebay acts on reports because it is viewed as important enough to invest manpower.

The category exists to list Black Americana which is not offensive.

It is very frustrating because almost all Black America from that is truly antique and of historical interest is viewed as offensive.

The sale of historical Black Americana are being forced into obscure venues and the prices are increasing as a result.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

Well, I’d argue that that is a “fact” that it is offensive.  Someone at eBay thought that someone might find the listing offensive.  Sure, i find some of black Americana offensive, but that wouldn’t make it a black and white issue - no pun intended.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

Shocking that someone could be deprived of the comfort of black grandpa & grandma dolls (pale dolls are not an appropriate substitute)

An attorney may be of help & possibly provide you an opinion letter related to the two items you listed

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

Well, I’d argue that that is a “fact” that it is offensive.  Someone at eBay thought that someone might find the listing offensive.  Sure, i find some of black Americana offensive, but that wouldn’t make it a black and white issue - no pun intended.

You fail to recognize that the definition of offensive is if any ignorant person who encounters the item is offended, the item is offensive under the Ebay policy.

I have had comic strips published by Joseph Pulitzer's World, written and drawn by R.O. Outcault, one of the most popular comic artists of his day removed by Ebay.

The most prestigious award in journalism is still named for Pulitzer, but the history of his period is largely suppressed. How many people know that he and Hearst were responsible for the Spanish-American War, who are under 70?

Rewriting or suppressing history has plenty of precedent, all of which portended bad outcomes.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

@toomuchstuffagain35 

It makes them much easier to find and delete. 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Exactly to your first point... no rhyme or reason.

Oh, I only asked the OP that because I wondered where eBay stood on it after it slipped through, yet they'd been paid.

Nothing happens, the  transaction is done and complete.

The takedown is still noted in your file, same as a Vero takedown  that happens after a sale.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

That is a very good question.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Black Americana

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

Wondering about White Americana, etc. 

White Americana.jpgAsian Americana.jpg

If we're next on eBay's s-list?