cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Offer

Can a Best Offer be made above the auction starting price? 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Best Offer

The "Best" in "Best Offer" refers to the Buyer's Best Offer and not "In comparison to others".

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

"When the hammer strikes it is OVER."  Last time I checked, Sotheby's doesn't have Best Offers lurking in the wings.  The introduction of Best Offers does away with a strict application of traditional auction protocol.  Furthermore, my item was auto relisted, so the auction continues - yet another break in protocol.  No need for you to respond so rudely.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I think ebay,  like a Realtor, just wants things to sell, without regard to price.  In their recommendations and options, they are not acting in the interest of maximizing returns to the listers who pay them.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@jrh0 

Yes this is a platform where the owner wants things to sell

Use the tools eBay gives you as a guide but when pricing , investigate , research and come up with what works for you and not what anyone suggests  

Only you will know the $ you need for an item 

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

The only reason that they added that comment is because they realized most sellers do not know how auctions work. When you start an action at the going BIN rate then of course buyers will offer "lower" than starting price.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

You are correct, Sotheby's does not have best offers. They are an auction and an auction  ends when the hammer strikes as I already pointed out. On Ebay they allow sellers to use the best offer feature in conjunction to the auction but it still ends as it is intended.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@jrh0 wrote:

I think ebay,  like a Realtor, just wants things to sell, without regard to price.  In their recommendations and options, they are not acting in the interest of maximizing returns to the listers who pay them.

Sounds like you still do not understand how auctions work. Correct, Ebay does not care how much an auction price is at when the auction ends. If you do not like buyers bidding then just don' use auctions.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

You have two listings that are auctions with a Buy It Now option that is approx. 20% higher than your  auction starting prices.  I see no "Best offer Option"  for the buyer  - really don't think it is available on auction listings.

Are you receiving a Best offer above the Buy It Now price???  If so it wouldn't make sense for a buyer to pay more than your BIN price.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

you explained it better than I could

I participate in this style of auction a lot and you are sort of expected to offer more than the opening bid but i have offered 60 in a case like this just to get a bite.

most of the time I am waiting  for an answer someone will bid the opeing bid and the BIN dissapears.

this style of bid or buy it now does generate a buzz to get a quick offer in

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

You have two listings that are auctions with a Buy It Now option that is approx. 20% higher than your  auction starting prices.  I see no "Best offer Option"  for the buyer  - really don't think it is available on auction listings....

When setting up an auction-format listing, the seller can choose to add "Beat offer" and they can also choose to set a BIN price.  The BIN price must be at least 30% above the opening bid price. Here's the policy pages and what the listing page looks like showing both options.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 5.09.35 PM.png

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-buy-now?id=4109&st=12&pos=1&query=Selling%20with%...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-buy-now/adding-best-offer-listing?id=4144&st=12&p...

Message 25 of 25
latest reply