cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad feedback

I've been on ebay since 1999 with around 375 transactions, all positive. Recently one buyer purchased 3 items which were all shipped together. He claimed poor packaging, broken items, left bad feedback x3. I have messaged him multiple times with no response. I have shipped this same kind of item a lot and have extensive experience in packing and shipping. I doubt the truth of his claim but anything like that is possible in shipping so hey, I would do about anything including refunding all his money if he would just contact me. I also suspect he may be a competitor in a niche market for these items. Anyway I am no longer having as many followers on my items nor selling as many or as fast. For small ebayers like me, what can be done? Ebay says I can only continue to attempt to contact the buyer, and actually, "don't worry, it won't affect your sales." Any ideas? What about just starting over with a new account, is that a reasonable idea? Thanks y'all!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Bad feedback

Being all other transactions were positive I wouldn't worry so much about it. While it may be discouraging to receive those negatives you are likely right about it being a competitor that was simply trying to damage your reputation. If an item arrived truly broken, especially 3 of them, a buyer would definitely be opening a claim and expecting a refund or replacement. Seems malicious to me if they refuse to contact you.

Just add that buyer to your BBL immediately and take a mental note, or write it down, his address so if this person would attempt to circumvent your block and buy again you can show it is the same person. Supposedly Ebay is going to start protecting sellers in this area, and it's obvious they are out to damage your account.

Reply to the feedback professionally, as that is what any future, potential buyer will pay most attention to. Comment something like 'tried to contact buyer for replacement/refund no response' or something along those lines. Feedback in itself is no longer used to judge you as far as Ebay goes, that is what your seller metrics are for. So long as you ship within stated handling time, aren't cancelling sales and have no returns or anything else you are fine.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Bad feedback

Being all other transactions were positive I wouldn't worry so much about it. While it may be discouraging to receive those negatives you are likely right about it being a competitor that was simply trying to damage your reputation. If an item arrived truly broken, especially 3 of them, a buyer would definitely be opening a claim and expecting a refund or replacement. Seems malicious to me if they refuse to contact you.

Just add that buyer to your BBL immediately and take a mental note, or write it down, his address so if this person would attempt to circumvent your block and buy again you can show it is the same person. Supposedly Ebay is going to start protecting sellers in this area, and it's obvious they are out to damage your account.

Reply to the feedback professionally, as that is what any future, potential buyer will pay most attention to. Comment something like 'tried to contact buyer for replacement/refund no response' or something along those lines. Feedback in itself is no longer used to judge you as far as Ebay goes, that is what your seller metrics are for. So long as you ship within stated handling time, aren't cancelling sales and have no returns or anything else you are fine.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

Ebay says I can only continue to attempt to contact the buyer, and actually, "don't worry, it won't affect your sales."

eBay are telling you what is probably the truth. Your reply to the feedback was good and your other positive comments will outweigh these negs.

I often have 1 or 2 negs showing on my selling id's (none are big volume) and I've never been able to see any change in buyer behaviour because of it.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

@wordlight wrote:

I've been on ebay since 1999 with around 375 transactions, all positive. Recently one buyer purchased 3 items which were all shipped together. He claimed poor packaging, broken items, left bad feedback x3. I have messaged him multiple times with no response. I have shipped this same kind of item a lot and have extensive experience in packing and shipping. I doubt the truth of his claim but anything like that is possible in shipping so hey, I would do about anything including refunding all his money if he would just contact me. I also suspect he may be a competitor in a niche market for these items. Anyway I am no longer having as many followers on my items nor selling as many or as fast. For small ebayers like me, what can be done? Ebay says I can only continue to attempt to contact the buyer, and actually, "don't worry, it won't affect your sales." Any ideas? What about just starting over with a new account, is that a reasonable idea? Thanks y'all!

Did you give a combined shipping discount?  If not, it could have been a buyer expressing his dissatisfaction in being charged shipping for each item and having them shipped together..... that would actually be my guess rather than a competitor.... or it could be a competitor.

375 sales under your belt really isn't that much, especially since you've been selling for 20 years here on eBay, so you might consider starting another ID, just be careful not to list the same things on both ID... NO, I wouldn't stop using this ID.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

As slim said - your responses were very professional and if the issue was that bad - the buyer would have contacted you and asked for a refund or replacement.

Your items are beautiful and you have a lot of satisfied customers. Sales are slow due to the many glitches Ebay has encountered lately. The mobile app - which account for supposedly70% of sales has been horrible with many complaints from buyers getting 0 results in search, the page format has changed and then if they find what they want - many receive a message that they are unable to purchase from that seller or pay.

You've done well here and besides blocking that buyer - I would continue as usual. Many buyers are now using social media to meet fellow niche enthusiasts and also sell within these groups so it may be  beneficial to check these types of groups out.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

Because you try hard to be a good responsible seller, that is why this bothers you so much.  I'm sorry this buyer isn't working with you.  

It may be too late to for the buyer to revise the FB even if you do get a hold of them.  If it isn't too late, it is likely getting close.  

Did you ever look at the buyer's FB left for others?  Often times this will tell you if there is a pattern of FB abuse like this.  About the only reason you could get Ebay to remove the FB is if you could prove some sort of FB abuse.  And if they have a history of doing what they did to you, that could do it.

Go take a peek and come back and tell us what you see.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

" I doubt the truth of his claim but anything like that is possible in shipping so hey, I would do about anything including refunding all his money if he would just contact me."

----------

Don't get me wrong,

and I'm not condemning this particular buyer....

But perhaps some buyers act exactly like this .. because

they Hope to get a refund (free item) .. and have successfully gotten some in the past?

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

Candie: Thank you for your comments! I took your advice and noted his address; I hadn't thought of that before.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

Yes, I did combine shipping. I only ever charge actual shipping costs. Sometimes I even refund the difference when ebay charges more than it costs me. Husband says I'm crazy!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

tunicsalot, we have actually encountered all of these issues with the mobile app on the buyer's end. Interesting. I did not consider it as a factor in what I'm seeing with our listings for sale, but I'm sure you are right! We do sell some of our items through other outlets in the wargaming hobby. Thank you!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

mam, this was a very good idea, to check his feedback left for others. I did find that all of his FB was positive except for the ones he left for me. I expected to see evidence of his stinky nature there, but it just wasn't. Thanks for this!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

Lynn, this is just what I thought! I was actually willing to appease him however would work, because of seeing my rating go from 100% to 97%. I would have done it even if he was a cranky bad guy, just to get him to remove the feedback. I guess I'm glad I didn't have to, and I hope people are right that it won't hurt my sales too much. Thank you for your help.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

Those are expensive items to just shrug off if received broken?

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

If the buyer is indeed a competitor ebay used to

remove feedback with the policy violation of " feedback manipulation".

I have no idea if that policy is still in effect or not.

Would be worth a call to ebay if they truly are a competitor.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Bad feedback

This is total bull **bleep** that eBay gives buyers all the power and all the protection in every transaction. Ebay doesn't do jack **bleep** to protect sellers from crooked buyers. eBay gladly lets buyers gives sellers negative feedback if they are just 1% unhappy with their item. But if someone bids on your item and then doesn't send payment and you have to sell it for less money, you can't leave negative feedback and eBay doesn't do jack **bleep** to punish the crooked buyer. Ebay tried to scam me out of $ 500.00 years ago for a item that I sold, then the buyer claimed that his/her  eBay account, PayPal account, and email account were all hacked at the same time. I fought them and won.  Bottom line is EBAY PROTECTS BUYERS ONLY, NEVER SELLERS.  AND THAT IS TOTAL BULL **bleep**. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply