cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER NEVER PAID FOR ITEM RECEIVED

buyer opened a claim as he stated it took too long.it was closed eventually after he received a refund,but then he received the item and never paid for it .

buyer never helps as they always rule in favor of buyers. i have proof of delivery ,but yet ebay wont help

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: BUYER NEVER PAID FOR ITEM RECEIVED

Do you think you, or ebay or anybody can MAKE him pay now?   No.

Do you think you, or ebay or anybody can MAKE him return the item now?  No.

All you can do is ask the buyer to pay (or return the item) and hope that he does.

Hopefully this is an honest person.  I think most people are.

Good luck to you.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

That's quite an expensive item. Sorry that happened to you I was going to ask if you live close enough to the buyer to file a claim in small claims court, but then I see you live in South Africa, so that won't work for you.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Missing a few details. Did the buyer open an INR claim when the item had not arrived by the eBay estimated delivery date? If so did you respond to the claim and upload the tracking information at that time? How long after the eBay projected delivery date did the item actually arrive? Where was the item shipped to and did it by chance go through customs in some foreign country when you shipped it out of South Africa? 

There is a known scam where buyers let the item sit in customs, where it is waiting for the buyer to pay the customs fees, until after the projected delivery date. They then file a INR and wait for eBay to close the case in their favor, refund them and then they go to customs, pay the fees and pickup the item. 

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

@moviecraze786 wrote:
.it was closed eventually after he received a refund
i have proof of delivery ,but yet ebay wont help

Proof of delivery is not enough. You also need to respond to the case properly and in a timely manner. After the case closes, eBay has no power to force the buyer to repay you or to return the item.

You selected the shipping services you would offer to your buyer, and you hired the shipping service the buyer chose to deliver the item on your behalf.So if it was delivered late, it may not be your fault but it is still your responsibility.

By eBay policy, the buyer is allowed to file a case for "Item Not Received" after the estimated delivery window has passed.

So we need more information.

How did you respond the the item not Received case when it was filed by the buyer, and how long did you wait to respond?

How long after the estimated delivery window was the item delivered to the buyer?

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

My last negative was from a buyer who stole from me, too.  Received a refund & kept the item when it arrived 4 days later.  eBay just shrugs their shoulders.  eBay's take : It's up to YOU to deal with the buyer even though WE gave them YOUR money back.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

@moviecraze786 , @sakic92710 

I actually agree with both of you on eBay's claim when a Buyer does not receive their item by the estimated delivery date when a Seller ships within their handling time.  The delay is NOT the Seller's it is the carriers like UPS, FedEx and USPS.  

eBay needs to charge the Buyer's payment method if they get a refund for a late shipment but then the package is delivered, period. 

On an eBay claim for an item not received Sellers can contact eBay on day 4 of the claim and get UPTO 4 days additional extension of the claim BUT eBay has never published that little detail.  During Covid they were extending claims UP TO 10 days!  WHY?  Because they knew the carriers were not working at full capacity.  The same is true this time of year AND EVERY YEAR AT THIS TIME!!!! Higher shipping volumes and slower deliveries are common from sometime in November until the end of the year, PERIOD!  This is NOT a new situation.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 40
latest reply

If it involved the U.S. postal service, they will pay up, or they will face mail fraud charges. I've had the postal service go after my buyers before, demanding they return my product or pay for it with proof of receipts, or be charged with mail fraud should they refuse.

USPS stance is that consumers are obligated to pay for anything they purchased thru the mail.

Given the OP is in Africa, not sure what defense they have, as we dont know where the item was actually shipped, what shipping services were involved, and their country will have totally different laws than ours.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

thanks you guys.buyer is not even responding to my messages any longer

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

For those with a better memory than mine.....

When a buyer was refunded for a Not Received item, but then received the item.........didn't we see some posts that if an appeal by the seller was filed, showing delivery.......ebay refunded the seller?  There may have been some time limit......if so, don't remember what it was, but I could swear some sellers got refunded by ebay since ebay "forced" the refund........

I would try an appeal.........

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

.didn't we see some posts that if an appeal by the seller was filed, showing delivery.......ebay refunded the seller? 

@dhbookds 

Yes, and I saved it.  This link starts on page 3 (with the screen shots).

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/eBay-s-new-shipping-policy-with-changes-regarding-INR-s/td-p/...

Never did find a "formal" public facing policy.   Maybe you just need to "know where to go" which is like NOT the appeal flow? 

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

One way to prevent this:

As soon as the Buyer receives the refund, contact the shipping company and have them intercept the "lost" item (if & when it's found) so that it is returned to you and not the buyer.

During the holiday rush, items may get stuck just sitting at some hub for months until they are found and shipped. The intercept route will assure that the package is shipped back to you. 

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

.didn't we see some posts that if an appeal by the seller was filed, showing delivery.......ebay refunded the seller? 

@dhbookds 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/eBay-s-new-shipping-policy-with-changes-regarding-INR-s/td-p/...

Never did find a "formal" public facing policy.   Maybe you just need to "know where to go" which is like NOT the appeal flow? 

YES.........thanks so much............  hopefully someone will try it and let us know what happens at this point.......

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@dhbookds 

@ittybitnot   Thanks, never heard of or knew that ... Don't use Facebook either despite the thread explaining how to for the appeal process ... in the end, too many steps for a process that can be made as a simple point and click solution ... seeing that it's 2023 going on 2024. 

good info though ... wonder if it still works. Can't imagine eBay giving away part of the farm indefinitely but I could be wrong.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@moviecraze786 wrote:

i have proof of delivery ,but yet ebay wont help

Did you appeal?

Message 15 of 40
latest reply