cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Away time and not all items show up as seller away, buyer buys and eBay has other ideas

What's the deal with away time not showing up on all items? I just had a buyer buy something when away time was active and eBay wanted me to still ship the item within my handling time of three days. The buyer requested a cancellation and I approved. 

The item auto relisted and the same program, still shows up as seller not away. 

I go back in and end away time and re-enter time away and now it's a waiting game and hope no one buys anything in the next two hours before it kicks in. I still don't even know if this will work. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Away time and not all items show up as seller away, buyer buys and eBay has other ideas

I just checked your items and do not see any "time away" message.    When you turn on "timeaway" be sure to select "do NOT allow purchases".    Otherwise, when customers purchase items you are required to ship right away.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Re: Away time and not all items show up as seller away, buyer buys and eBay has other ideas

If you leave your items still available to be purchased, you HAVE to ship within your handling time- so you ALSO need to 'revise' your 'handling' time to coincide with your 'time away'. 

Best as suggested by another- click 'do not show' your items for purchase as that only upsets customers because 

a.) they don't see it 

b.) sellers (like yourself) do NOT adjust the 'handling time' so the 'estimated delivery date does NOT update to the 'new' date. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I think you've adjusted something. Now I see "The seller is away until May 04, 2024. If you buy this item, expect a delay in shipping." Did you tick 'Do not allow sales', @paxilill? Because I'm still seeing that it could be bought, and still see 3-Day Handling Time... and I don't know exactly what that means for a seller. 🤔

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Yep.

OP needs to either select do NOT show items OR change their handling time to when they WILL be able to ship again.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Yep.

@toomuchstuffagain35 

So I do know what that means for a seller. You need to make one more tweak, @paxilill. Enjoy  your Time Away... 😎

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I thought Ebay automatically adjusted your handling time while on time away? Is that not true? 

Could the 3-day handling be from the date time away ends?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

The 3 day handling time is 3 business days from date of purchase, if you are on time away you will need to extend the handling time or hide all listings until time away ends. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@paxilill 

It looks like you scheduled your time away but didn't take the next step in pausing your listings. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/time-away?id=5137&st=3&pos=1&query=Time%20Away&inten...

You can either  Allow item sales or you can Pause item sales while on time away.

If you pause item sales, they won't show up and buyers won't be able to purchase items. It'll save you from getting late shipping defects if you don't extend your handling time.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@jjddmwi wrote:

I thought Ebay automatically adjusted your handling time while on time away? Is that not true? 

In theory they do auto extend, it is stated that they will adjust (with specified exceptions).

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/time-away?id=5137

slippinjimmy_1-1714378525998.png

I don't know if they really do so as I always hide my listings when using Time Away.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

If you leave your items still available to be purchased, you HAVE to ship within your handling time- so you ALSO need to 'revise' your 'handling' time to coincide with your 'time away'. 

Best as suggested by another- click 'do not show' your items for purchase as that only upsets customers because 

a.) they don't see it 

b.) sellers (like yourself) do NOT adjust the 'handling time' so the 'estimated delivery date does NOT update to the 'new' date. 

@stainlessenginecovers  Hey, just FYI, that is NOT true any more!  Hasn't been for over a year!   

In fact, you absolutely do NOT want to adjust your handling time as well!  I learned that the hard way a year ago, when I was did both (cuz we used to have to) & it DOUBLED my handling time.   So, nowadays, JUST set the Time Away & eBay will AUTOMATICALLY take care of the handling time!  

What most likely happend to @paxilill  was either an error in setup OR, there are 3  or 4 exceptions to Time Away!  They are listed now when you set it up (I know b/c I just did it 2 weeks ago).  The exceptions used to be more hidden.   Here are the exceptions: 

Delivery dates may not update for select items on Time Away

Whether you choose to allow sales or pause them, you may want to change the shipping format or the handling times on the following items while on time away: Second Chance Offers, Auto-accepted offers, Pending counter-offers, Seller initiated offers, items with local pickup, in-store pickup, and digital items.

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@jjddmwi wrote:

@jjddmwi  You are correct!  You absolutely should NOT adjust Handling Time in addition to Time Away.  See my post #11.  I did this a year ago & experienced DOUBLED handling times.   

There are a couple of exceptions & they are on the Time Away screen, but I also c/p'd them to Message 11. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

The 3 day handling time is 3 business days from date of purchase, if you are on time away you will need to extend the handling time or hide all listings until time away ends. 

@ebooksdiva   That is no longer the case & hasn't been for over a year.  Please see my post 11.  You absolutely should NOT update the Handling Time if you are doing Time Away, with the exception of a handful of cases, which are outlined on the screen & I c/p'd into Post 11. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@slippinjimmy  Yes, it really DOES work the way it's stated.  I proved it approx a year ago, when I did both extend my handling time AND set Time Away & couldn't figure out why on earth my estimated shipping dates were 2 weeks out.  It was b/c you ONLY have to set Time Away now.  

As you noted & I also posted in Post 11, there are a handful of exceptions.  I am happy to report that as of 2 weeks ago when I set Time Away again, those are now ON THE PAGE where you set Time Away, so they're very obvious b/c a year ago, they were buried deep & I got caught with some of those since I sent Offers while I was away.  

But I confirmed that it works as advertised, last May.  That time I allowed sales.   This month when I was gone for 2 weeks, I turned off sales & that all worked as advertised too. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Regardless....with all the glitches eBay has I wouldn't trust that with a ten foot pole.

I still would extend handling time or hide listings to be on the safe side.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply