cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions and price gouging

For the several people who say doing auctions starting at 99 cents is not price gouging. Do you plan to continue to sell those items at auction starting at 99 cents when the virus is over, or is it only during the pandemic ?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Ebay will remove an auction listing of certain items if the bidding gets into the range of price gouging. We would have no idea what those "several" people you mention would do. What is the reason why you would ask this anyway?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Price gouging is when one charges an inflated price for an item because it's in short supply during a time of emergency or other issues. 

Starting a bid at 99 cents is the complete opposite, an attempt to draw bidders into fighting over an item. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@postingid7659 

You are 100% wrong IMO. So what you are saying is you will continue to start auctions at 99 cents since you know that doing it now has nothing to do with gouging and taking advantage of people, correct ?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@zylor4200 

Because those several people have come to the boards thinking there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of people during this crisis. Since those think it is not unethical I would have to assume they are wiling to continue to do 99 cent auctions when the pandemic ends.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

From the Wikipedia entry for "price gouging"

Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goodsservices or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. Usually, this event occurs after a demand or supply shock. Common examples include price increases of basic necessities after natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some jurisdictions of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market or to windfall profits. Price gouging may be considered exploitative and unethical.

The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized and by being restricted to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life and property. In jurisdictions where there is no such crime, the term may still be used to pressure firms to refrain from such behavior.

The term is not in widespread use in mainstream economic theory, but it is sometimes used to refer to practices of a coercive monopoly that raises prices above the market rate that would otherwise prevail in a competitive environment.[1] Alternatively, it may refer to suppliers' benefiting to excess from a short-term change in the demand curve.

Starting an auction at a low price is the very opposite of price gouging.  The item only sells for what someone is willing to pay.  If only one person bids it sells for 99 cents.  

Now if they start say a $20 item for 99 cents and $25 shipping, that could be construed as gouging.    Or if the 99 cent item is only worth 10 cents, I suppose that could be gouging, although I don't know where you're going with it.  

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@zylor4200 

Because those several people have come to the boards thinking there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of people during this crisis. Since those think it is not unethical I would have to assume they are wiling to continue to do 99 cent auctions when the pandemic ends.

I have often heard it stated the worse a deal happens to be for the buyer the better it is for the seller, likely most of those .99 cent auctions wil disappear when the pandemic ends. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Listing essential items at 0.99 starting bid during a world crisis is intended price gouging.

A seller listed face masks on a one day auction, starting bid 0.99, with free shipping, USPS priority, and 10% of the selling price donated to the relief fund. And there is fees to pay.

So, do you think the seller only expected to get one bid?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Is eBay going to step in and say that my price is too low after this is over? They cancel every auction because they say the price is too high but the market set the price. Maybe we shouldn’t even have auctions and eBay can set ever price! In the meanwhile people who need masks can’t get them. Their policy is driving up demand and creating a black market while the virus continues to spread.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

Starting an auction at a low price is the very opposite of price gouging.  The item only sells for what someone is willing to pay.  If only one person bids it sells for 99 cents.  

Now if they start say a $20 item for 99 cents and $25 shipping, that could be construed as gouging.    Or if the 99 cent item is only worth 10 cents, I suppose that could be gouging, although I don't know where you're going with it.  

Texas' Attorney General doesn't agree with you:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/27/texas-ags-office-halts-auction-750-000-face-ma...

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-in-houston-masks-seized/285-6864de6...

They went after the guy, seized his entire stock, then found out they were moldy and a few other issues if you track the entire story.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@postingid7659 I am not surprised you do not understand since you don't believe any gouging is going on. Let me explain. Your 99 cent toilet paper roll is listed for 99 cents starting bid because you know people are scared and will over-spend from fear. That is the gouger's reason for listing it in the first place. When the pandemic is over that same gouger will NOT list that same roll for 99 cents because they know the fear factor is gone and they will only get at most retail price. Ebay understands that, and thus the reason for eliminating those gougers from Ebay.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

If people are foolish enough to spend more than an item is worth, that's their problem.  As long as they're happy with the amount they spent, the price should be no one else's business.   No one is being forced to buy the items at those prices, they make a choice to do so.   That's how an auction works, and plenty of people make emotional choices to spend much more than an item is worth, every day, not just on eBay but I've seen it at live auctions, heck I've done it a time or two myself just to make a point.   

The risk you run selling these type of items to people foolish enough to pay high prices is they will:  1 - not pay at all; 2 - pay but want a refund or try to return the item; or 3 - do a chargeback in a month or two when all this nonsense has passed.   I avoid selling items in categories where there's a high potential of scammers or buyers remorse or just plain people who don't understand what they're even buying so I don't set myself up for those hassles.   

Heard all these arguments years ago when I had cars in rough shape selling for fairly large amounts, that I was ripping people off and all this other nonsense.   They were terrible arguments then and they're terrible arguments now.  The old saying is a fool and his money are soon parted - if you believe someone else a fool, so be it, but if they're pleased with their purchase then it's just your opinion and irrelevant. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

Price gouging is when one charges an inflated price for an item because it's in short supply during a time of emergency or other issues. Starting a bid at 99 cents is the complete opposite, an attempt to draw bidders into fighting over an item. 

Both of the approaches that you describe are taking advantage of the shortage in order to command higher prices. IMHO it is the seller's intent that is at issue, not the semantics. 

And "charging an inflated price through an auction" is not the opposite of "charging an inflated price". 

The opposite of "charging an inflated price" would be "not charging an inflated price at all". 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply