cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction Price

What are the reaction to be taken if we are not able to sell an auction at the lowest price we want?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Auction Price

A lack of bidders indicates that either your price is too high, or nobody is interested in your item, or people who might be interested haven't found it. Consider lowering your asking price before you relist. Make sure that the first few words of your title are words that a potential buyer might search for.

EDIT: I see that you have bidders on all your items.  When an auction ends, you must sell the item to the high bidder.  The opening bid amount should be a price you are willing to sell at, in case you get just one bidder.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

A lack of bidders indicates that either your price is too high, or nobody is interested in your item, or people who might be interested haven't found it. Consider lowering your asking price before you relist. Make sure that the first few words of your title are words that a potential buyer might search for.

EDIT: I see that you have bidders on all your items.  When an auction ends, you must sell the item to the high bidder.  The opening bid amount should be a price you are willing to sell at, in case you get just one bidder.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Your reaction is going to be " eek". If all those cards sell for opening bid which is 15-29 CENTS and free ship from Sri Lanka your in the hole as we know it. Your fees are more than that. You would be better off listing a "lot" of greeting cards for a set price, say 5 or 6 cards for xxxx$.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

This may work for you.  Set your first bid a the minimum price you can  get to make a decent profit. Then check the "Best Offer" click box. Below that there are two other click boxes. One is "Automatically accept offers of at least " and the other is "Automatically decline offers lower than". Set both of these at your minimum bid price. If a buyer makes a lowball offer, it's automatically rejected. If the buyer makes an offer at or above the minimum bid, it's automatically accepted. Works for me.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@koiya_super_655 wrote:

What are the reaction to be taken if we are not able to sell an auction at the lowest price we want?

You start the auction at the lowest price you'll take, that way if you only get 1 bid, you'll get what you want.

1 greeting card would do better as a BIN.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@koiya_super_655 wrote:

I am not sure what you are asking. 

It sounds like you are asking about the options available to you when an auction ends at a price that you think is too low ... such as your 15 cent auctions with free shipping. 

You are obligated to honor the auction and sell to the highest bidder. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hi and welcome!

Never start an auction at too low a price, because if you get only one bid, you must sell it at that price to the winning bidder. Ebay will recommend sellers set the opening bid low to attract more bidding, but that strategy is outdated in most cases and does not work well on some items. Ebay also recommends free shipping, but in your listings, I would not do it. People will bid next to nothing for an item, especially if it has free shipping, but it does not benefit you as a seller. If you are going to set your opening bids so low, I suggest you use calculated shipping at least. 

Successful selling on eBay is not easy, but it is doable when you have the right item, at the right price, with the right shipping cost.

Ok, that all said, what is your selling strategy here so far?

New greeting cards do not necessarily lend themselves well to auctions, and international ones at that. Normally, I would say you would be better off selling these at fixed price with all your costs rolled into it with a small markup included so that you will make a profit when it sells. That would be the practical way to list on eBay, but I fear that you will have difficulty selling these items to US customers. What was your reason for choosing greeting cards to sell? I am looking for more information from you so that we here in the forum can advise you more successfully.

If you could, I have a couple more questions. Have you been watching your countryman on YouTube about eBay selling? I was curious about him since he has so many views on his videos. Is he the reason why so many new sellers from Sri Lanka have found their way here to the US forum? And last, have the problems with PayPal been overcome for Sri Lankan sellers? Thank you for any answers. Best of luck to you.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi again @koiya_super_655 

Just wanted to alert you that the information you have in your listings about Feedback violates the Feedback Manipulation policy, see link below. All that is not necessary to have in your listing anyway, so it will not hurt anything to remove it. You may see some sellers putting those kinds of blurbs in their listings, likely they are not aware that eBay does not allow it. Better to be safe, and remove it, than sorry.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-manipulation-policy?id=4231

"Any attempt to manipulate feedback or Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) is not allowed. This includes:

• Offering to buy, sell, trade, or give away feedback
  • Registering multiple accounts or working with others to exchange feedback with the purpose of artificially increasing a feedback score
  • Referencing eBay feedback in a listing title or description..."
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

THANK YOU VERRY MUCH..

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Great solution.. Thank you....

Message 10 of 10
latest reply