cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask a mentor

Is ebay wanting to eventually eliminate all but "ask a mentor" responses from the community?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Ask a mentor

No

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

I have noticed a sharp upswing in questions in the "ask a mentor" board today.
Many of the questions go unanswered or some with just one answer. One answer today was incorrect and other answers are worthy of several viewpoints due to complexities.
I mean no disrespect to "mentors" but rather, why have a divided community where only some are allowed to answer?

It seems that maybe the "mentors" are overwhelmed. Ebay must be pushing this on questioners?

"An eBay user who volunteers said the new practice of paying some people is leading to fewer questions being answered."

-------------
Posting ID
Message 3 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 

< the new practice of paying some people is leading to fewer questions being answered >     

Surely you can appreciate how preposterous that statement would be if such payment were based on the number of answers.  Bean counters – and I do use that term as a pejorative – value quantity over quality.  I don't know how payments would be calculated, but I've seen a lot of one-line answers, as if the responder were knocking them out as fast as possible so they could quickly move on to the next one.  I don't know who the payees are, or even if there are any in the first place, but I'm not one, and my answers tend to run pretty long ... some would say too long, LOL out loud.  

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 wrote:

I have noticed a sharp upswing in questions in the "ask a mentor" board today.
Many of the questions go unanswered or some with just one answer. One answer today was incorrect and other answers are worthy of several viewpoints due to complexities.
I mean no disrespect to "mentors" but rather, why have a divided community where only some are allowed to answer?

It seems that maybe the "mentors" are overwhelmed. Ebay must be pushing this on questioners?

"An eBay user who volunteers said the new practice of paying some people is leading to fewer questions being answered."

The mentors are not paid- they are volunteers just like every other board. They have been specially vetted to be patient & kind to newbie members.

They have a decent knowledge of eBay policy and how the site functions. 

I believe anyone can apply to be a mentor with a few prerequisite qualifications..

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mentor-Program/Community-Mentor-Program/m-p/31654137 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

"I don't know how payments would be calculated, but I've seen a lot of one-line answers, as if the responder were knocking them out as fast as possible so they could quickly move on to the next one."

Yes, many one-liners. Some issues are complex and need more that one line as well as other opinions/perspectives...from any member.

I have read some of your responses and they are very thoughtful and helpful and explain things in detail. Thank you

-------------
Posting ID
Message 6 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 

There are waaaay more questions for mentors since the name change "Ask a mentor".

I do one liners, but mostly with links, if applicable, bc I want the posters to know it is not an opinion from me, but eBay policy, but we all have our own style.

Many posters want to have their hand held, which is fine, but I will mostly just give factual info and move on due to the numerous unanswered questions.

The reason for "just one answer" is we don't want to waste time repeating what has already been said, with the exception of adding more info or doing a correction.

Sometimes the posts are so vague with needed detail, we have to guess what the poster's need is.

There are many boards that the community has access to if they care to participate in helping others.

Thank you for your post

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

I believe anyone can apply to be a mentor with a few prerequisite qualifications..

I have no interest in being an "official" mentor, but I like to post my opinions, especially on scammers.

I looked at your link anyway and I do not post with my selling ID for security reasons because of past problems, and that alone would prevent me from joining the club anyway, LOL.

Thanks to you pikabo-icu, and your willingness to help, there are many members whose problems were helped and solved.

Thank you.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 8 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 wrote:

I have no interest in being an "official" mentor, but I like to post my opinions, especially on scammers.

I looked at your link anyway and I do not post with my selling ID for security reasons because of past problems, and that alone would prevent me from joining the club anyway, LOL.

Thanks to you pikabo-icu, and your willingness to help, there are many members whose problems were helped and solved.

Thank you.

That's very kind..

Thank you so much @wesk_36  There are a lot of very helpful people here.. It makes my heart smile. 

aaaaBig Thank You.gif

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 9 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

You choose your mentor, mentor's have no business choosing you.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

It is great you help people out, but if a question is so vague your are guessing is that not a disservice? Maybe you should stop guessing and ask for further info. Just a thought and again thank you for helping  so many. 

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 wrote:

Is ebay wanting to eventually eliminate all but "ask a mentor" responses from the community?

What was it that prompted this question? 

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@luckythewinner wrote:

@wesk_36 wrote:

What was it that prompted this question? 

Curiosity!

I noticed an atypical amount of postings in that category lately and wondered if ebay was encouraging that, and maybe eventually transitioning the "discussion" boards to only selected members giving any answers?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 13 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@dnasilver 

That is what I do.

I tell them to either give more details or if they are asking this?   ____________

Then this is the answer and or link

Thank you for your support

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 

< I have read some of your responses and they are very thoughtful and helpful >    

Thank you.  You made my day. 

Message 15 of 60
latest reply