cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you unhappy with Ebay 2022

I have been selling on ebay for a decade. I used to really love it and it made me good money. Sadly, it seems to have taken a really negative downward turn withing the past several years. I keep holding out hope that it will get better, even a little, but it only keeps getting worse. I have always sold on ebay and one other platform, and ebay used to be my bigger seller of the two. Now it is not. Not by a long shot. I used to make enough on the two platforms to live comfortably, but since ebay's decline, I have had to add on side hustles to make ends meet. I am now a part time pet sitter and I have added  on 3rd selling platform. The new platform I am using is doing great and far surpassing ebay in sales.  I originally thought that my sales were low due to inflation, the war, covid,  ect, but my sales are good and steady on the other two platforms, just not here on ebay.  Back in the day, I used to make sales on ebay daily. It was super rare to even go one day without making a sale. Now, I go several days in a row without a single sale and this happens several times a month. I barely make any money on here anymore. I feel like my listings are not being seen and I refuse to pay ebay more to promote my listings. They take enough money from us already. I know that ebay is losing both buyers and sellers in droves and it is easy to see why. 

I know their main focus is on sellers who sell high value items, and I am not one of those sellers. If you are a seller who sells jewelry, expensive sneakers, expensive trading cards, or car parts, are you doing well at least? Just curious. I know they are advertising in these categories. 

I am unhappy with the new listing tool. It takes four times as long to list anything. The item specifics are ridiculous, and all the stupid drop downs. Click, click, click. Let's waste more time. The new platform I sell on is so fast and easy for listings. It takes me 60 seconds or less to list an item. I timed it. 

How do you all feel about ebay now? Are you happy? Are you still making good money? 

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Are you unhappy with Ebay 2022

I think part of the problem is price points.   The higher your price point - the less you will be impacted by any account limits or less visibility in search.   The majority of my listings are less than $15 plus shipping, and yet over the past four months - higher priced items have been far more likely to sell - even items that I have listed off and on for many moons.   Views for the higher priced items are also higher.   This is counter to my 20+ year ebay experience. 

Message 31 of 73
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

I think part of the problem is price points.   The higher your price point - the less you will be impacted by any account limits or less visibility in search.   The majority of my listings are less than $15 plus shipping, and yet over the past four months - higher priced items have been far more likely to sell - even items that I have listed off and on for many moons.   Views for the higher priced items are also higher.   This is counter to my 20+ year ebay experience. 

What a unique perspective....wild, if happening.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 32 of 73
latest reply

That May Be True, But I'm Sure It Is Frowned Upon!

Message 33 of 73
latest reply

I am saying that price point may be one factor - just like free returns, free shipping, promoted listings, discounts, and anything else that helps put more money in ebay's pocket  -  especially when it comes to  those of us who do not offer free returns and free shipping nor offer discounts or pay for promoted listings. Why else would my highest priced collectibles suddenly get triple the views of any other listings - when they never have before?   I know I am not doing anything different. 

Message 34 of 73
latest reply

I have no problem with eBay. I list stuff, I sell stuff every day, and I get money deposited in my checking account every day. 

Why would I not be happy?

Message 35 of 73
latest reply

Thank you for your insight....I've had the same thing happen...since May. I couldn't figure out what was wrong...I questioned my merchandise...was it dull, was it stupid, was it too low/high priced? But your answer seems to describe the exact pattern I'm experiencing. Sept. was my worst month in my 3 years of selling. I was doing ok not enough to live on..but did pay the electric bill. But now....I don't even get views!!!!

I thought it was "payback" from eBay because I cancelled all promotions. When I 1st started 3 yrs. ago, the promtion percentage was taken on just the item price. Then they changed it to percentiages of item, + postage +TAXES! So "their share" increased more than 3 times. How sad...guess all I can say it was great while it lasted. Now I have to figure out what to do with all this inventory!!!

Thanks for your insight

Deb

Message 36 of 73
latest reply

I jumped on today to sell some items for the first time in years. I'm now looking for other places to sell. I don't think I want ebay to have access to my bank account.  I think that is an idiotic change they have implemented. Paypal worked great for me.

Message 37 of 73
latest reply

@gamer4life555 

@gamer4life555 wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Great idea about dropping off my business card. Will give it a try. Thank you.  How have your ebay sales been this year?

Please accept my apologies,  I didn't know you had asked me a question. 

Right now I'm in a different venue and it takes up most of my time, sales are great. I still support the small sellers on Ebay as they did me. I also volunteer twice a week that is going to turn into 3 times weekly shortly at the local Thrift/ food bank.

I've always loved ebay and it's the only place I shop online. I have been truly blessed with both buyers and sellers here and chat with some of the most fabulous folks here on the forum. 

Hang in there hun, it's rough out there. I do have a little possible tip with your nursing uniforms ( wish I knew your site when I had to buy them) your prices are reasonable and Nursing students are the ones that will be shell shocked when they go to buy them. Take your business card and a flyer featuring the Cherokee uniforms to the local college bulletin board.

Best to you, lots of sales!!!

Message 38 of 73
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

That May Be True, But I'm Sure It Is Frowned Upon!

It's against the rules to SEND people to other platforms, but not to discuss them. Even one of the Blues verified that.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 39 of 73
latest reply

@beedees192 wrote:

Thank you for your insight....I've had the same thing happen...since May. I couldn't figure out what was wrong...I questioned my merchandise...was it dull, was it stupid, was it too low/high priced? But your answer seems to describe the exact pattern I'm experiencing. Sept. was my worst month in my 3 years of selling. I was doing ok not enough to live on..but did pay the electric bill. But now....I don't even get views!!!!

I thought it was "payback" from eBay because I cancelled all promotions. When I 1st started 3 yrs. ago, the promtion percentage was taken on just the item price. Then they changed it to percentiages of item, + postage +TAXES! So "their share" increased more than 3 times. How sad...guess all I can say it was great while it lasted. Now I have to figure out what to do with all this inventory!!!

Thanks for your insight

Deb

Increase your item price by the small amount the PL take increased - I don't like the entire transaction in the promotion, either, but found that a rise of maybe 50 cents on each item that I do promote to cover it (I don't use high promotional rates).

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 40 of 73
latest reply

Ebay always finds a way to screw me over, so nooooooo, not happy with ebay at all. Being a Canadian probably makes matters even worse for me. Not just a tiny seller, but part of the insignificant great white north. 

Seems ebay caters more to big sellers in the USA, who know how to use the ebay global shipping program to ship faulty goods, then claim them as damaged in shipment. I have recieved faulty merchandise a few times, with zero signs of package damage, yet the item is crap inside.  Ebay sellers have found a way to get rid of their junk now and then. Ship it out ebay global shipping, and claim it as damaged, and all is well. THe buyer is left with a hunk of junk, and the seller gets his faulty damaged goods paid for in full by ebay. 

Message 41 of 73
latest reply

I remember when sales were so reliable, I could book a weekend getaway a week or more in advance, pull out a few vintage clothing pieces, list them, and have money in my pocket by the time I left on vacation. This was true through 2012 or so.

I remember a 100% sell through rate (up until 2010 or so).

I remember when 20 items constituted a presence on the site (okay that’s all the way back to 2002/3 or so). I couldn’t get 100 items up no matter how hard I tried, stuff sold so reliably.

Ah, the good old days……

LOL

Message 42 of 73
latest reply

Well, I was young, handsome (relatively) and had functional hips in 2003.  Time does pass.

I remember when eBay got its millionth listing (!)  AND the first 10,000 FP shooting star seller.  Yeah, along with doing well with 50 items!

Now it sometimes feels like:

296912988_5375684365881885_2513431195639153578_n.jpg

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 43 of 73
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Well, I was young, handsome (relatively) and had functional hips in 2003.  Time does pass.

I remember when eBay got its millionth listing (!)  AND the first 10,000 FP shooting star seller.  Yeah, along with doing well with 50 items!

Now it sometimes feels like:

296912988_5375684365881885_2513431195639153578_n.jpg

That is hilarious!  (my screen is gonna need cleaned and it is YOUR fault!  (again) 😃

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 44 of 73
latest reply

My eBay sales have been dismal all year.  I don't pay for promotions as I already have very low prices selling primarily preowned items.  Although collectibles are really a niche market it still doesn't explain a 70% drop.  What has kept me afloat this year is selling locally through Facebook's marketplace, Craigslist, and Next Door.   Previously, I only sold large and heavy items that I didn't or couldn't ship.  However,  a few months ago I started selling smaller items as well.   I could adjust my prices since I'm no longer paying any fees as it's all local sales. 

Facebook has it's share of problems too.   I get lots of inquiries and then poof they're gone with poor follow through.  Then I have to be vigilant for scammers attempting to steal from me.  Scammers trying to trick me into Zelle or Venmo scams, trying to get my Cell number for google code scams.   I notice they tend to popup more often when I have just listed a new item.   Makes me think these people are sitting around waiting for new listings so they can steal from you.   However, both Facebook  and Next Door have  good messaging systems and  I've learned that I don't need to give out my cell number.    If they ask for my cell number  right off the bat instead of my address chances are they are just a scammer.  I also get a significant number of low ballers, but saying no thanks is easy.  Nonetheless, sales have still been good, and frankly, I believe it's because the buyers don't have to pay for shipping or state taxes since it's cash only on pickup.  The big plus is there aren't any problems with returns when you do cash only local sales.  Personally, I believe it's the shipping charges that have been limiting my eBay sales in addition to poor visibility.   I always look for the lowest price on shipping when I list here.  However, many people still have no clue what it costs to ship across the country even though I list the shipping weight in the listing.  I only sell domestically because I have no interest in worrying about international returns.

I really dislike the new listing tool as I feel it's too time intensive.

Message 45 of 73
latest reply