cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are they going to leave the categories like this? Pottery & Glass? It's devastating.

Is this switch permanent or temporary, lumping all the categories into one? If I list a Cup & Saucer, instead of it going into Coalport say, it goes into every maker of Pottery & glass on the Planet. That's absurd. I may as well sell only in my shop then, as no one will find the items like that. The "Specifics" is not going to help one bit, unless your only looking for one specific item in size, maker & shape, etc. as an example, someone looking at the Roseville pottery category would have searched through all the Roseville to see wha'ts new for sale, and perhaps buy a piece of different patterns. Now they have to search through every single piece of pottery on the planet that's for sale on ebay. Terrible, just terrible. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Are they going to leave the categories like this? Pottery & Glass? It's devastating.

I would say yes this "re-organization"  is sticky and here to stay 

Of course only eBay knows

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Are they going to leave the categories like this? Pottery & Glass? It's devastating.

People put words in the title 95 out of 100 times and seldom clicked 'see categories' and then having to hunt through numerous pages to find that category. 

Wouldn't a buyer simply put "Coalport Cups' in a the search box?

I did; got 1900 listings and the first page was entirely 'Coalport'... and I don't know a thing about cups & saucers or Coalport (never heard of it). 

But if I did, that's what I would put in the search box (I could also add 'and saucers' but didn't want to limit my listing count and who knows what people actually put in a title)

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

But it Greatly helps the listing process by putting Coalport in the Coalport category, and Waterford in the Waterford category and so on and so on, as before. Not lumped into Pottery & Glass decorative category. That's just NUTS!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Not disagreeing with you 😁

Soon it will be one big category "Stuff" 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@whatmighthavebeen wrote:

But it Greatly helps the listing process by putting Coalport in the Coalport category, and Waterford in the Waterford category and so on and so on, as before. Not lumped into Pottery & Glass decorative category. That's just NUTS!

This is why Seasonal is such a mess.  All these months later, it is a monster to sift thru.  So very hard to find anything. 

The search needs to be better defined.  Think it will take a long time for the category chaos to ease.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

As @stainlessenginecovers said above, even prior to the change, the buyers that I spoke to used the search bar more often than browsing by category. Until the Fall Seller Update changes, I used the browsing method, but I have to admit that I find the search method to be faster and equally effective. It is important that items are titled with specific key words. Unfortunately, I find that eBay often changes my search parameters from "all categories" to some category that is irrelevant, or at least unwelcome to my search.
I sell Early American Pattern Glass (EAPG) almost exclusively, and was not happy with these category changes and the elimination of all EAPG subcategories. However, I can learn to live with it. One thing I can't accept, although I may have to, is eBay changing these search results from "all categories" to something different, even searches within my store! A casual buyer visiting my store and searching "cake stand" will get "0 results for 'cake stand'" because even on searches of my store, eBay changes their search from "all categories" to "wedding cake stands". The six cake stands in my store are not wedding cake stands and won't be listed as such. They are listed in the new "Pottery & Glass ---> Cookware, Dinnerware, & Serveware ---> Cake Stands" category, which is where they should be. I can't understand why eBay would manipulate search results by switching "all categories" to something else, ever! This switch should be made by the buyer, only when the buyer wishes to refine their search.
The same thing happens when searching from the main page. A "cake stand" search returns results of only those listed in the wedding cake stand category. Even when the buyer ensures that they manually select "all categories" prior to their search, eBay still switches it, requiring the buyer to switch back to all categories and searching again in order to see everything.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@katzrul15 

This will go down as the eBay Q4 disaster 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@whatmighthavebeen wrote:

as an example, someone looking at the Roseville pottery category would have searched through all the Roseville to see wha'ts new for sale, and perhaps buy a piece of different patterns. 

When I put Coalport in the search bar it takes me to a results page narrowed down to the P&G main. When I use the brand filter on the left and select Coalport it narrows down those search results further. If I were a Coalport collector, I could click the 'save this search' link at the top of the page or bookmark the search link to browse with one click in the way you described - by brand, not object type.

It's essentially the same as browsing the old Coalport P&G category, but taking a different path to get there.

I think it's a lot less messy than some of the other categories that underwent changes - like holiday & seasonal, postcards, etc.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Hence why sales are down, the buyers hate the new search and not only that if you search by categories like ebay is suggesting then you'll miss stuff too. This 4th quarter change has been the most destructive ever. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers You are right that when the buyer is searching specifically for a Coalport item,  the listings will come up that have "Coalport" as a keyword in the title.  But what about all those shoppers (and there are so many of them) who do not have one specific item in mind, or even one particular line in mind, when they are browsing Ebay.   My sister loves to collect old pottery, and when she goes to look, she's never looking for one specific line, she just wants to see new arrivals of any kind of old pottery. She would never search "Coalport",  maybe does not know much about that particular line, but a Coalport cup might catch her eye in a search of newly listed items in the pottery subcategories.  

Someone else posted a good example of this a couple of weeks ago.  A seller was listing a very old, very rare obscure item called a "nut bowl"  from a little-known pottery maker.  Most pottery collectors would not even know it exists, so they would never search for it.  And the maker's name would not often be searched for.   It's one of those hidden things that browsers love to find.   So probably no one would find using the keyword search "nut bowl" or the maker's name.  It would come up right away in a search for newly-listed items in the subcategory that includes that maker.  But in the new "item specific" system, it would get very few views.

For every buyer that searching for one specific vintage item, I would bet there's another one who's not going to search for a specific thing. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Have your sister put in 'pottery' and then on the left; item specifics will take her to more detailed 'collectables' (since you said 'old', collectables is the terminology used and easily found).

Collectibles

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

It won't be as devastating as you make it out to be. A person wanting a Coalport cup and saucer will type Coalport cup and saucer into the search and will find it.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I see there sales plummeting in the very near future. I am going to have to stop selling my glass & pottery as it only costs me money if it doesn't sell. So why bother. They lose on listing fees and lots of commissions. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@whatmighthavebeen 

You can list without paying anything. Ebay offers members 250 FREE listings each month.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply