Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Are sales particularly slow this year?

Y E S

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

They are apparently slow every year and have been since this board started.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

No, not at all. Whats the sell thru rates on the items your selling? if it's not 100% or more and your priced to high then expect to wait for your item to sell. Nothing to do with eBay & everything to do with the seller.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

For some sellers sales are slow for other sellers sales are outstanding.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I find overall Ebay has changed a lot and is flooded with companies selling new from China.

Plus with the economy I think people are holding tighter on to their money. I don't understand how I can sell 10 items 1 day and nothing for 3. It is like a light switch. I have close to 4200 items and a wide variety and I think nice things. I suggested to Ebay they need to sites Ebay 1 for all new clothing and items and Ebay 2 for preowned items. I sell womens tops if you search for that you get pages and pages of all new clothing mostly from China. So we are getting lost. Yesterday was really good for me today nothing. I did Ebay 15 yrs ago it was so much easier. Not all the specifics and this algorithm system???? One day at a time. I was hoping to make a full time job but I am thinking just cutting back to part time and going back into this cruel workforce again. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You're selling in far to many different categories and your store needs a lot of work done. Everything needs help, titles, photos, keywords etc...

Take some time to research the items your selling and check to see what the general sell thru rate is and then narrow it down as much as you can to the item your trying to sell and see what the sell thru rate is again. Most likely it's extremely low(0-10%) and that's why your not selling as much as you want. Combine that with items that most people simply don't want, priced to high, bad titles, photos, keywords... and you have a large store with no sales.

With what your trying to sell, you'd probably need a store 3x the size of what it is currently to have consistent daily sales.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Postings like this appear frequently on this forum and there is no definitive answer. There are a lot of things that effect sales not only on eBay but on other venues and forums as well. What you are selling, pricing, shipping cost, competition all impact sales either positively or negatively. Then there are external factors like the economy and the global market that come into play. 

Yes sales in some areas have dropped off dramatically after the post COVID surge and a lot of people have returned to their pre COVID shopping patterns which includes obtaining commodity type items from B&M stores. I buy VERY little on eBay simply because I am in a large metropolitan area and I can find items cheaper at B&M stores. I can look at the item, try it on, inspect it........... before I buy it, take immediate possession of the item and generally return it easily without any problem if I discover something wrong after I have gotten it home. 

Over the last several years the percentage of eBay's foreign revenue/sales has gradually increased to where it is now over 50%. A lot of this probably has to do with items coming out of foreign countries that are able to undercut the market for one or more reasons. 

Some of it also has to do with the items eBay prohibits and restricts, the VERO program, etc. EBay basically forced me, although I was already heading in that direction, to diversify across multiple platforms and venues and eBay now constitutes less than 20% of the merchandise I sell. There are a multitude of factors that have contributed to this. So yes my eBay sales are a bit slower than normal but I am doing fine on the other platforms and venues. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

IMHO that is an impossibly vague question.

Some sellers have had sales increase, and some sellers have had sales decrease. 

What do you mean by "particularly slow"? 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply