cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone stop selling on eBay and just donate their items?

Should I continue to sell on eBay? My constraints/fears:

eBay is frustrating because after I have the item posted, I have to monitor the shipping price on some items to make sure I will actually break even on the item if the shipping price goes up. It also varies by location as well, but since everyone does flat shipping rates, I do too. I also have to factor in storage space. Once those items are resolved, and a reminder goes out for a year to check my shipping costs I also have to factor in shipping cost inflation.

Another issue is once an item sells, I feel like I have to get the item out now. This is difficult - I am out of the house most of the week and I don’t like doing ad-hoc stuff because I don’t want to move tubs in the basement and wake up the family if I am busy with friends or even work. It is just on my mind and that bothers me. I have to go find the item as well. If I don’t get an item out in time I have an angry buyer, and have had buyers message me angry that I haven’t shipped their item immediately. I have a full time job that in 2 days I would make the entire net on the 4 tubs of items I have for sale. I do not need these items either, although they would cost a lot to replace - I have already replaced them. I also don’t have time to be a jack of all trades when it comes to testing items - also making buyers angry when they get an item that doesn’t work properly. When it comes to shipping, I have made mistakes and made buyers angry. 

Also, once I have an item ready to ship, I have to get on my PC, print a label, package the item, and go to USPS’ website to schedule a porch pickup. If the weather is bad, I have nowhere to store the package. I don’t worry about porch pirates but I am not home. I used to take items to the post office but realized that was a waste of time driving and in line and gas to get there. 

Also, since my real name is on the box, if I deal with an angry customer, they may dox me on LinkedIn. I am fine putting my name on the box and behind the items I sell, I am honest, but for a $5-10 net on a shirt why take the risk. Dealing with SNAD claims is rare but a huge pain. Making calls to UPS, USPS, and eBay is an additional cost when this happens. 

There are items I have sold and made a good net on quickly that were well worth my time. However, for most items, that is not the case.

With Facebook Marketplace I won’t sell an item unless I am going to make at least $20. But dealing with no-shows, angry buyers, and low ballers is annoying and all are rare, but it is great for big items. 

In order to donate I must accept that my time is more valuable than the occasional $5 or $10 that I get. I also accept that my items have already incurred a sunk cost, and there is a price to dig up money by the time it takes me to sell items.

How do I deal with the ad-hoc nature of eBay sales with work and a busy life? The ad-hoc ness of it is what is really difficult for me. This is the main thing that really hinges on for me to keep selling.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Anyone stop selling on eBay and just donate their items?

You've already asked about how long sellers keep items listed before getting rid of them.

It almost sounds to me like you're ready to just let go of the online selling thing apart from a few select items.

For you, it may be best to go back to pre online selling where you just donated stuff or had a yard sale.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Sounds like you already have made you mind. Flipping stuff on Ebay full-time is not as easy as some may think.  A lot of sellers get stuck selling low value items which can be difficult to make sense when you factor your time, cost of the item ect.  It is wise to invest in a thermal printer, packing supplies (tape, boxes, bubble wrap) which will make your life easier. Not needed but your time is valuable.

If your looking to do this full time, i would suggest bulking up your inventory or concentrating on higher priced items. Do you want to sell 100 $10 items or 10 $100 items?

-Good luck

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Certainly sounds like you don't like what you are doing and don't have time for it.......personally, I would quit...... 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@owli-37 

This post, in addition to your previous (How long should I keep inventory before getting ri... - The eBay Community) post makes me think you've reached your decision regarding selling here. Godspeed.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Should I continue to sell on eBay? My constraints/fears:

eBay is frustrating because after I have the item posted, I have to monitor the shipping price on some items to make sure I will actually break even on the item if the shipping price goes up. It also varies by location as well, but since everyone does flat shipping rates, I do too. I also have to factor in storage space. Once those items are resolved, and a reminder goes out for a year to check my shipping costs I also have to factor in shipping cost inflation.

Not everyone uses flat rate shipping or free shipping. I almost always use calculated shipping for a couple of reasons. First I don't have to worry about postage increases if eBay is on the ball and makes the programming changes on time. Second I am on the east coast so if I was to use flat rate shipping I would have to factor in the highest potential cost which in most cases inflates the shipping to east coast and mid-west buyers. Lastly there are a lot of states that do not charge sales tax on shipping as long as it is easily identified, which it is not if you are using free shipping. Small cost savings to the buyer in some cases. 

Another issue is once an item sells, I feel like I have to get the item out now. This is difficult - I am out of the house most of the week and I don’t like doing ad-hoc stuff because I don’t want to move tubs in the basement and wake up the family if I am busy with friends or even work. It is just on my mind and that bothers me. I have to go find the item as well. If I don’t get an item out in time I have an angry buyer, and have had buyers message me angry that I haven’t shipped their item immediately. I have a full time job that in 2 days I would make the entire net on the 4 tubs of items I have for sale. I do not need these items either, although they would cost a lot to replace - I have already replaced them. I also don’t have time to be a jack of all trades when it comes to testing items - also making buyers angry when they get an item that doesn’t work properly. When it comes to shipping, I have made mistakes and made buyers angry. 

I also have other interests and like my free time so I use the auction format almost exclusively with all my items ending on Sunday. Generally most people pay pretty quickly and I can pack and label on Sunday and drop at the PO on Monday. The rest of the week I am free and if I want time off I simply don't list for awhile. Not sure a lot of your items would work well in an auction format. 

Also, once I have an item ready to ship, I have to get on my PC, print a label, package the item, and go to USPS’ website to schedule a porch pickup. If the weather is bad, I have nowhere to store the package. I don’t worry about porch pirates but I am not home. I used to take items to the post office but realized that was a waste of time driving and in line and gas to get there. 

I am pretty lucky in that regard and the PO is less than a mile from my house so simply an easy stop when I am out running other errands. 

Also, since my real name is on the box, if I deal with an angry customer, they may dox me on LinkedIn. I am fine putting my name on the box and behind the items I sell, I am honest, but for a $5-10 net on a shirt why take the risk. Dealing with SNAD claims is rare but a huge pain. Making calls to UPS, USPS, and eBay is an additional cost when this happens. 

Why would you be calling a carrier for a SNAD claim? Is the buyer claiming shipping damage?

There are items I have sold and made a good net on quickly that were well worth my time. However, for most items, that is not the case.

With Facebook Marketplace I won’t sell an item unless I am going to make at least $20. But dealing with no-shows, angry buyers, and low ballers is annoying and all are rare, but it is great for big items. 

In order to donate I must accept that my time is more valuable than the occasional $5 or $10 that I get. I also accept that my items have already incurred a sunk cost, and there is a price to dig up money by the time it takes me to sell items.

I too sell on several local forums including FB and like any other ecommerce site there are always issues regardless of where you attempt to sell. 

How do I deal with the ad-hoc nature of eBay sales with work and a busy life? The ad-hoc ness of it is what is really difficult for me. This is the main thing that really hinges on for me to keep selling.

See my note above about auctions and the flexibility it allows you. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

If you're staying in hopes that selling on eBay will somehow get easier in the days ahead, then I would recommend that you get out now.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

If your full time job pays good money and this is causing you stress, then I agree you should ditch it.

Why not just set the items aside in a bin or two and have a big garage sale?

There are people near me who have multiple garage sales a year. You'll reap lower prices, but also make multiple sales in one day without all the hassle.

I've kind of soured on donating certain items after seeing how they're treated at the thrift shops. I donated a pristine mug recently and the next week I went to the shop and saw it on the shelf, already chipped.

They might just as well have thrown it in the dumpster.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@adamcartwright wrote:

Why not just set the items aside in a bin or two and have a big garage sale?

There are people near me who have multiple garage sales a year. You'll reap lower prices, but also make multiple sales in one day without all the hassle.

One needs to check on local rules about that sort of thing first-- for example, where my sister lives, you're allowed to have two yard/garage sales per year, and if you want to have more than that you need to file for a permit with the county government because you're considered to be running a business.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@owli-37 

Just focusing on shipping... why not use calculated shipping on your listings? Why "monitor" your listings? I don't understand that part.

AND why not drop your shipments off at your local post office?

To me it sounds like you don't have the time and energy to commit to Ebay nor the circumstances

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

From the other thread you started:

I also want to stop selling on eBay so I can do things that matter to me more. These items I have up are just for beer money. 

Seems like case closed to me.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

If you're staying in hopes that selling on eBay will somehow get easier in the days ahead, then I would recommend that you get out now.

I believe you responded to the wrong person. I gave no indication that it would get easier nor do I plan on leaving anytime soon 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Should I continue to sell on eBay? 

Only you can decide that. 

since everyone does flat shipping rates, I do too

That is not true. Many sellers use calculated shipping rates. 

Yes, you do have to ship the item after you sell it. Just like millions of other sellers do. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

WOW!  You have so many problems.  Maybe this isn't the business for you.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

This is for @owli-37  not vintage camera - sorry!

I have a feeling that you're battling the old sunk costs dilemma. None of the stumbling blocks you've mentioned are problems for any committed seller, but can be for someone who really has other things to do. You don't need permission or lists of problems. You're the boss of your own time, and time is really the only irreplaceable thing we own, not to mention our sanity. You're not the first person to face this.

Maybe at least bag up the clothing and donate to a good cause (men's shelters would make wonderful use of it). Up to you.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 22
latest reply