Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone find a simple accounting program to replace godaddy? Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I started out with QuickBooks. Imported from GoDaddy and my two Ebay stores. Ran both programs side by side for a week. Within a week QuickBooks was off by $7000. My assumption at this point is that I had incorrectly set QuickBook up to begin with.  I then took a look at Wave (free). Although it is a double entry accounting program, it uses a single entry (bookkeeping) format. I left their chart of accounts intact and added the additional ones from my GoDaddy account. I then ran a GoDaddy P&L statement from 1/1/22 to 5/31/22 and added the transaction totals into Wave. That gave me a year to date starting point.

Next I added any daily off Ebay transactions and will have to continue adding those. (had to do that with GoDaddy anyway) Going forward I will add my Ebay transactions right from the monthly statements, which we usually get about the 5th of the following month. Just have to remember to change the date of the transactions to the last day of the month they cover. That way it keeps sales and expenses in the correct month.

The layout in Wave is very similar to GoDaddy, but the delayed input eliminates the ability to check on any given day how you are doing from an accounting standpoint.  However, month to month and year to year should be correct, at least after we get through this year (starting point) and going forward.

I initially hooked Wave to my business checking account and then promptly removed it. I had imported all transaction from the beginning of my account and put them all into this year even though they all had previous years dates. At this point I removed all transactions from the business account and unhooked it from Wave. 

When I cancelled QuickBooks I filled out the questions they asked about why I was cancelling. Two days later I get an email from them offering a simple bookkeeping program. My thought was that maybe they should have lead with that from the beginning of their relationship with Ebay.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I’m using Wave Accounting now.  It does not not integrate with eBay but uploading the data once a month is going to be much less of a hassle than trying to use QuickBooks.  

I’m currently importing 12 years worth of data from GoDaddy to Wave.  It has been extremely easy and fast with no glitches or errors.  The user interface is very much like GoDaddy and running them side-by-side everything is matching up down to the penny.  

The biggest pain is recategorizing everything.  Even though you can recategorize 500 items at a time it can still take quite a while depending on how much data you have. 

Wave Accounting is free.  I believe there is also a way to integrate through a third-party paid service but I have not looked into it yet.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply