cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to get negative feedback removed from a buyer who made false claims?

In short, a buyer blew up my phone overnight and those messages eventually escalated into insults. Keep in mind I hadn't responded yet. I didn't want to deal with them so I canceled their order and told them why, no further contact from me at that point. 

They ended up leaving the following negative feedback: "BUYERS BEWARE!! God Awful Seller!! I been buying and selling on eBay for years! Cancelled just cause I asked questions ?? Terrible , Stay Away"

I responded with: "I canceled your order because you were insulting me and blowing up my phone, why did you leave those details out of this feedback you left? Obviously, you're upset because I didn't respond to your insults and canceled your order instead."

I want to get this feedback removed, what steps can I take? There's no option to report the buyer for something like this. I was thinking I could call eBay tomorrow during their hours of operation. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You can report directly via Messages now.   I would wait until after I tried to get the FB removed, in case they delete the abusive messages.  

You can try to get the FB removed by going to 

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp

and folllowing the prompts.  Tell them buyer was abusive & name calling & to check your Messages to read the details.  IDK if they'll be working tomorrow b/c it's a Holiday, but I've generally had excellent response doing this & they act quite quickly.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Report the buyer to EBay as abusive and request removal of feedbacj.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

You can report directly via Messages now.   I would wait until after I tried to get the FB removed, in case they delete the abusive messages.  

You can try to get the FB removed by going to 

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp

and folllowing the prompts.  Tell them buyer was abusive & name calling & to check your Messages to read the details.  IDK if they'll be working tomorrow b/c it's a Holiday, but I've generally had excellent response doing this & they act quite quickly.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@colfaxstation ,

I don't know if eBay will remove the feedback if the buyer was texting the seller. Buyers and sellers are supposed to contact each other thru ebay messaging.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

You can try contacting eBay, but I think, based on my experiences, they will decline to remove it because a) you responded to the feedback, and b) it reflects the customer experience.

A better resolution would have been to simply report the buyer to eBay and block their number on your phone (most cellular phones should be able to do that).  Let eBay review the messages they left on the site, and let eBay deal with them.  After a few days, you could contact eBay directly (I prefer Chat as it sends me a complete transcript of the conversation - no mistakes in what was said) and ask them for recommendations.  They will likely tell you to cancel the order or ship and pray for the best.  My preferred request is that eBay cancel the order and not require me to ship to an abusive buyers.

You should also add buyers like this to your BBL (Blocked Bidder List) -- it won't stop the issues with the ongoing order, but it does stop them from bidding/buying on more listings and expanding the pain.  And keep a copy of their address on file - if you get an order from the same address (most of these folks aren't too bright, thankfully), you can have eBay remove it since the buyer used an alternate ID to get around your BBL block and that simply is not permitted.

As the seller, you have to focus on two things: providing great products at great prices, and never losing your cool.  If you have to, type out a response that let's all the anger out....then delete it.  Safer to use Notepad so it can't accidentally get "sent".  There have been buyers where I've done this multiple times over the course of the day before I finally got it out of my system.  Then I responded to the issues, not the bait, and was able to be sickeningly sweet (their perspective, not mine) and not continue the argument.

This also helps when you contact eBay - you can show that you've been polite and business-like, and that the buyer has been the one feeding the fire and being out of line.  If they use foul language or threaten, that's even better for your case -- eBay Terms of Service (that all members agree to before using the site) do not tolerate that type of behavior.  One of the few seller protections that you can actually get to work - just keep your cool and let the buyer blow.  Let them take eBay's heat - you've got more important things to do.

These buyers bite, big time.  Thankfully they are rather rare - I've had a few on my personal selling accounts and more on the business account I manage at work.  But I'll admit -- I think I've had just about enough practice already!! 🙂

Good luck and please keep us updated!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@colfaxstation ,

I don't know if eBay will remove the feedback if the buyer was texting the seller. Buyers and sellers are supposed to contact each other thru ebay messaging.

It sounds like this person was messaging the OP, not texting. 

But I agree, eBay will probably not remove the feedback as it's customer experience.  I've had one neg stick and I waited days before responding, waiting to see if I could get it removed (buyer kvetching about the price they paid - I did not twist her arm to buy it) - of course they didn't remove it, so I then left a response.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I didn't see anything about texting, nor calling.  I took it to mean that the buyer was simply receiving their eBay messages via email to their phone.  I can access all my emails (therefore my ebay messages) on my phone or PC.  I didn't read anything that made me think the seller was communicating with the buyer by text or phone, other than that's how they chose to read their messages. 

@rosachs   Just FYI, that link I gave deleted 3 of mine & I had replied to all of them.  Replying has nothing to do with the decision of removal or not.  I can't predict whether they will or won't, but replying does not mean they won't get removed.  IF the messages show namecalling, abuse &/or harrassment by sheer number of messages, I think it's quite likely they'll remove it.  Then OP should report the messages via the link in the messages & yes, BBL the 'buyer'. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I assumed texting when the OP said buyer was “blowing up” his phone.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

They are not your buyer, you did not sell them anything. They should not be able to leave you feedback.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

A bigger problem for you than the feedback may be how you cancelled the sale.  What reason did you use?

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

@rosachs   Just FYI, that link I gave deleted 3 of mine & I had replied to all of them.  Replying has nothing to do with the decision of removal or not.  I can't predict whether they will or won't, but replying does not mean they won't get removed.  IF the messages show namecalling, abuse &/or harrassment by sheer number of messages, I think it's quite likely they'll remove it.  Then OP should report the messages via the link in the messages & yes, BBL the 'buyer'. 

Interesting.  When I tried this a few years back at work (my 10yr anniversary is coming up in May...shudder), I was told they could not remove the feedback since I had replied.  Ever since, I've never replied until 2wks after asking eBay to remove it for cause.  When they didn't, I would reply.

The other CSR response that annoys is "the feedback reflects the buyer's experience".  So how does a seller leave feedback reflecting their "experience" with the buyer?  It's frustrating - they have the bows and arrows, we have the target on our tunics -- front AND back.

I guess if sellers don't complain, eBay's got no reason to even consider changing it.  If the wheel don't squeal, you don't waste your grease.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@s.scharmu0 wrote:

They are not your buyer, you did not sell them anything. They should not be able to leave you feedback.

@s.scharmu0 When a seller initiates the cancellation, the buyer can most definitely leave feedback. See policy below.

“A buyer can still leave feedback on a canceled transaction, unless the order was canceled because they didn't pay for the item. Learn more in our Unpaid item policy”

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/order-cancellation-policy?id=5298

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Call ebay as have them look at the insulting comments from the buyer BEFORE you cancelled the transaction. I would have done the same thing if a buyer was behaving inappropriately with me.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

It also depends on what kind of messages they were sending. We’re that just asking questions about the item they bought? We’re they foul mouthed? Just asking questions may not be a good reason for the feedback removal. They have to have shown pretty abusive statements.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

"... a buyer blew up my phone overnight .."

How did the buyer get your phone number...?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply