cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow buyers to make offers or a 35¢ insertion fee may apply.

I saw a previous post to this but I'm still unclear about it.

As an indivudual seller, I get 50 BIN listings. In the other discussion, users here stated that the "Allow buyers to make offers or a fee may apply" message is only shown on an additional promo. But, a month has passed, and every item I relist with my monthly 50 BIN is still getting this. Obviously, I could turn it off by enabling offers but I'm not actually taking offers for my items. I'll end up pricing the minimum to 1¢ less than my BIN price and this will only mislead potential buyers.

The "Allow buyers to make offers or a fee may apply." shows up when you set your item's price.

The "Allow buyers to make offers or a 35¢ insertion fee may apply." is on the bottom of the listing tool.

In other words, the 50 "free" BIN listings are no longer actually free nor are they "really" BIN. I'm kind of disappointed but not surprised.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Is anyone here able to make clarification on whether or not this is a permanent setting from now on?

Also: A previous claim I've read is that enabling offers allow the item to get more views. I don't think this has been true for me.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Allow buyers to make offers or a 35¢ insertion fee may apply.

This is happening to me too on my 50 BIN listings.  Except really randomly, and I haven't worked out yet what is making the difference- relisting, using the easy option, the advanced listing, whether I've found a similar item to "copy" the listing.  Sometimes it insists on the 35 cents and sometimes it doesn't. (And yes, it "may" charge you means it WILL charge you, preview the listing and it will give you the fee). It is a massive pain.  Ebay has a dumb glitch in postage rates where if I don't click "flat price" before changing it to "free shipping" it will list the item as needing a shipping calculation instead of free. I'm assuming this is something similarly stupid.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@thrift-theory

dhbooks inquired about this on the weekly chat today and Tyler answered as follows:

"Hi @dhbookds - we were able to get some information, yes!

An ongoing promotion for many sellers offers free insertion fees if terms and conditions are met, one of which is to allow Best Offer. If a listing is revised to remove Best Offer after it is listed, they would no longer meet the terms and conditions of this promotion and they are then charged an insertion fee.

The warning is displayed on listing flows for members as a reminder that if the option is unchecked they may be responsible for an insertion fee. 

This message is also displaying for members that aren't included in the promotion, and we've gotten that feedback sent. At this point, unless you are participating in that listing promotion, there would be no financial impact to you for unchecking the Best Offer box."

I'm not trying to be negative or doubtful but how exactly would a seller or eBay themselves know that a seller is actually participating in the promotion? I didn't activate any sort of additional promo; I'm using my monthly 50 free listings. I have a feeling if I uncheck it, I'm going to get charged because eBay "may" claim I activated a promo with the Best offer terms and conditions.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Is eBay telling us they have a cash flow problem?

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Where can I find these terms and conditions? I looked at the article for the terms and conditions of the 50 free listings and it said nothing about using best offer or not and I was never aware that I accepted any additional promotion, so isn’t there any way to get out of it? Cause my lowest bid price is the lowest I’m willingly to accept and I’m tired of declining offers and wasting people’s time.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@megans_things wrote:

Where can I find these terms and conditions? I looked at the article for the terms and conditions of the 50 free listings and it said nothing about using best offer or not and I was never aware that I accepted any additional promotion, so isn’t there any way to get out of it? Cause my lowest bid price is the lowest I’m willingly to accept and I’m tired of declining offers and wasting people’s time.

This is also what I mean. I also read the terms for the 50 free listings and didn't see any mention of the best offer being mandatory but I also didn't accept an additional promotion. So if we uncheck and disable offers, how would we know if eBay will charge us regardless? I don't think they're the type to refund fees for their mistake..

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

If you switch to the new Seller Hub, the "Allow buyers to make offers or a 35¢ insertion fee may apply" message is no longer seen when editing one of the 50 free listing via PC.  You can also uncheck the "Automatically relist this item up to 9 times" option and see the fees for the listing.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@thrift-theory wrote:

I didn't try to find out. I wonder if anyone else been charged.

Also, this fee is not mentioned when relisitng items via mobile app. What a mess.

Are the listing showing this option specific to listing you have been relisting over and over?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Here is a link to the eBay help page for Zero insertion fee listings  -  Click Here

Copy and pasted from link above

• If you create a listing under a conditional Zero Insertion Fee listings promotion and then you revise the listing so that it no longer qualifies under the terms of the promotion, you may be charged an insertion fee (even if you have some of your free allocation remaining).

Good Luck Selling!

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Here is a link to the eBay help page for Zero insertion fee listings  -  Click Here

Copy and pasted from link above

• If you create a listing under a conditional Zero Insertion Fee listings promotion and then you revise the listing so that it no longer qualifies under the terms of the promotion, you may be charged an insertion fee (even if you have some of your free allocation remaining).

Good Luck Selling!

This doesn't apply to me. I'm using my 50 free listings a month and never activated any sort of promotion. I still get this 35¢ message even as of now and it only shows up on SOME of my relisted items, not all. As for which ones, it's hard for me to even tell how some may differ from others. Some of my listings converted to a new "listing tool" while others didn't.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@hillyerm wrote:

If you switch to the new Seller Hub, the "Allow buyers to make offers or a 35¢ insertion fee may apply" message is no longer seen when editing one of the 50 free listing via PC.  You can also uncheck the "Automatically relist this item up to 9 times" option and see the fees for the listing.

When you mean seller hub, do you mean the new "listing tool" page? Some of my listings have automatically converted but some stayed old. Where do I find this option to manually switch?

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

So what?  Add a best offer and set up auto-decline.  It's not like ebay is forcing you to accept offers.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@thrift-theory wrote:

@hillyerm wrote:

When you mean seller hub, do you mean the new "listing tool" page? Some of my listings have automatically converted but some stayed old. Where do I find this option to manually switch?

Ok, I looked it up and found this link http://www.ebay.com/sellerhub

Curious if this is it.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@kim_y_buran wrote:

So what?  Add a best offer and set up auto-decline.  It's not like ebay is forcing you to accept offers.

I'm not taking this advice... or should I say.. I already done this (if you read). For anyone else who's reading, I set up auto-decline as a "solution" for the past 2 months and all I got was a whole inbox of people asking why they can't make offers because they all get declined. When I try to explain the situation, they get confused or condescending about it. However, I found @hillyerm to be helpful. Some of my items are on a different "listing tool" and this fee message isn't on those items. I'll see if I could transition the rest.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply