cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All cancellations need buyer confirmation now??

I noticed last week that three of my cancellations have been stuck in the "in progess" status. One of them was from a buyer who apparently changed his mind within an hour of purchasing... I approved it. The other two were from buyers who requested a cancellation thru messages since it was passed the 1 hour window (arghhh).

Anyway, I initiated those too as I always do. But last week when I did that, the cancellations didn't complete. Still stuck in my cancellations page as "in progess". I messaged ebay help and they said the buyer was already refunded but they also need to confirm the cancellations before they complete. Is this true? I mean, even with the one that the buyer filed an official ebay cancellation request within 1 hour? If so, wouldn't that be redundant to have the buyer who initiated the issue to confirm it again before it can complete?

Screenshot 2020-08-18 11.06.34.png

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: All cancellations need buyer confirmation now??

@popblox wrote:

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

I noticed last week that three of my cancellations have been stuck in the "in progess" status.

I also had 3 "open cancellations" from last week - I'm not on MP yet, all of them paid through PP, all of them refunded immediately, 2 of them buyer initiated, and 1 was an address issue. I have had dozens of my personal account orders cancelled by sellers over the years, mostly for out of stock items, but none at my request and I've never been given an option to approve a cancellation (although I very much wish I had a few times).

At any rate, I searched the boards and found a similar post from 2018 where an eBay person said it was some kind of glitch. I don't have the link, but it was the first thing that came up on Google and I'm guessing it's the same issue now. I finally got the cancellation confirmation email from eBay on 2 of them today, so I have 1 left, but I'm pretty sure it isn't lingering because it lacks some sort of approval from the buyer.

@slippinjimmy 

I see. It sounds as though it can be a glitch... but not according to what the Ebay reply to my email was. They said they need confirmation that the refunds were received.

And to clarify, confirming if a refund was/wasn’t received is totally different from having the buyer confirm if a purchase cancellation was/wasn’t requested. The ebay agent never mentioned the latter. So unfortunately we can only guess that if this functionality is intentional... it will not be to verify if the seller’s cancellation reason is legitimate or not.

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Not on MP, but have had one cancel pending for 4 days.  Buyer asked to cancel, I did so.  Buyer then confirms the cancel and the refund through eBay message.  Still have cancel pending. 

Called eBay and they see the cancel has been confirmed, but you still have to wait until it times out even though the buyer confirmed.   

Annoying to say the least.  Never seen this, cancels have always been almost instant.

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Apparently so.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136

"What happens after you cancel a transaction

If you’re a managed payments seller, or if the buyer paid using PayPal, a full refund will be issued automatically.

If the buyer used another payment method, they will be asked to confirm that they received their refund before the cancellation is complete.

Once the buyer has been refunded, you’ll receive a final value fee credit"

The question that arises for me is- can sellers relist after cancelling and refunding even though the cancellation is technically still pending? Is there any risk to the seller that the cancellation would somehow be reversed and they would then have to ship? brian@ebay tyler@ebay 

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Apparently so.

If you’re a managed payments seller, or if the buyer paid using PayPal, a full refund will be issued automatically.

If the buyer used another payment method, they will be asked to confirm that they received their refund before the cancellation is complete.

The question that arises for me is- can sellers relist after cancelling and refunding even though the cancellation is technically still pending? Is there any risk to the seller that the cancellation would somehow be reversed and they would then have to ship? brian@ebay tyler@ebay 

@coffeebean832 good question! It's usually best to wait for the cancellation to complete before relisting an item. However, we won't reverse a cancellation and then tell a seller to ship the item, so relisting should be fine.

In a situation where a buyer doesn't pay through managed payments or PayPal and a cancelled is started by the seller the buyer will only have two options to choose from, "I didn't pay for the order" or "I paid for this order and I received a refund". Selecting either of those and submitting will complete the cancellation. If they don't select one of those options at submit within 10 calendar days then the cancellation will automatically complete. So in the end this will result in a cancellation one way or another. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 19 of 40
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Apparently so.

@coffeebean832 good question! It's usually best to wait for the cancellation to complete before relisting an item. However, we won't reverse a cancellation and then tell a seller to ship the item, so relisting should be fine.

In a situation where a buyer doesn't pay through managed payments or PayPal and a cancelled is started by the seller the buyer will only have two options to choose from, "I didn't pay for the order" or "I paid for this order and I received a refund". Selecting either of those and submitting will complete the cancellation. If they don't select one of those options at submit within 10 calendar days then the cancellation will automatically complete. So in the end this will result in a cancellation one way or another. 

brian@ebay 

What if anything happens to the cancellation process if the seller issues a refund through PP but PP doesn't complete the refund due to the seller not having enough money in their account to fund the refund?  The seller may or may not transfer money into their PP account to cover the refund but that takes a few days to accomplish.  

Since the buyer doesn't have the option to say that the refund was never received, what happens then?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 40
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Apparently so.

brian@ebay 

What if anything happens to the cancellation process if the seller issues a refund through PP but PP doesn't complete the refund due to the seller not having enough money in their account to fund the refund?  The seller may or may not transfer money into their PP account to cover the refund but that takes a few days to accomplish.  

Since the buyer doesn't have the option to say that the refund was never received, what happens then?

@mam98031 a cancellation like this will only occur if we don't recognize the original payment (it didn't go through eBay checkout, like PayPal or managed payments). If the buyer doesn't confirm they received a refund and the cancelled closes automatically after 10 calendar days then the buyer will still have the option to open an Item Not Received case, at which point customer service can review the situation if needed.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 21 of 40
latest reply

This is happening to us, too......I suspect it's a MP issue. We have successfully registered for MP but it's not active on our account, yet.

However, all of our cancellations are taking a week when it used to be automatic or done within minutes. I also don't have time (nor do you guys) to chase down buyers to get them to confirm cancellations.

This did not start until we registered for MP.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

So, sellers will no longer get in trouble for stiffing buyers by cancelling our orders?  That is the biggest reason Ebay is the last stop for shopping for me.  You get only about 75% of the items you buy.  

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

@flapperfox1921 wrote:

So, sellers will no longer get in trouble for stiffing buyers by cancelling our orders?  That is the biggest reason Ebay is the last stop for shopping for me.  You get only about 75% of the items you buy.  

@flapperfox1921 

If you wouldn't mind, would you be a bit more specific.  As a seller I'm concerned that you as a buyer is experiencing a 25% issue rate.  That is really high.

What types of stuff do you buy?  Are your issues with primarily US sellers or international sellers?

I'm just trying to understand so I might be able to share something that will help you.  But please know that sellers do get, what we call a Defect, on our accounts for every cancellation we file that is for out of stock or damaged.

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

I seldom purchase outside the USA, and yes, I was averaging 1 out of every 5 orders cancelling on me on my major selling account.  I got 3 demands for more money in one week.   I had one person try to shake me down for an extra $20 on a Buy it now.  I refused to cancel, and then Ebay left a message that I WANTED the cancellation.  I left negative feedback and Ebay removed it.  I complained and the CS agent said that the feedback was removed by "accident" but they wouldn't put it back.  I closed my major buying account and I am only using this one and restricting myself to a few items a month or less.  I am tempted to just completely walk away from Ebay.  I already check Amazon and other trustworthy sites before I buy or bid on Ebay.    By the way, the seller said Ebay had no problem with cancelling and no, there is no defect when the seller lies and claims the buyer wanted it.  I am totally disgusted with Ebay, it's returning to the old Ebay where the buyer got scammed regularly.  Add to that the rude sellers I've encountered and I'm ready to leave this site.    It's about time I stopped collecting anyway and started saving money.  I collect porcelain, toys, books, and cosmetics.

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

@flapperfox1921 wrote:

I seldom purchase outside the USA, and yes, I was averaging 1 out of every 5 orders cancelling on me on my major selling account.  I got 3 demands for more money in one week.   I had one person try to shake me down for an extra $20 on a Buy it now.  I refused to cancel, and then Ebay left a message that I WANTED the cancellation.  I left negative feedback and Ebay removed it.  I complained and the CS agent said that the feedback was removed by "accident" but they wouldn't put it back.  I closed my major buying account and I am only using this one and restricting myself to a few items a month or less.  I am tempted to just completely walk away from Ebay.  I already check Amazon and other trustworthy sites before I buy or bid on Ebay.    By the way, the seller said Ebay had no problem with cancelling and no, there is no defect when the seller lies and claims the buyer wanted it.  I am totally disgusted with Ebay, it's returning to the old Ebay where the buyer got scammed regularly.  Add to that the rude sellers I've encountered and I'm ready to leave this site.    It's about time I stopped collecting anyway and started saving money.  I collect porcelain, toys, books, and cosmetics.

If you want, if you run into another seller trying to pull this kind of stuff on you, would you contact me before you respond to your seller and let me try and help you.

FYI when a seller is willing to lie to you about stuff, don't believe them when they also tell you that Ebay won't do anything to them.  That simply isn't true but the buyer has to report them or Ebay doesn't know what is going on.  

So if you are game, find me.  I'll help you if I can.  And I'm really sorry that you keep finding sellers that will do this to you.  Believe me there are a whole lot of us out her that would never do that.

@flapperfox1921 

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

"So many times some (too many) sellers will lie about the reason they are cancelling"

This is the absolute truth.  I've had more than one seller contact me after the purchase saying they made a mistake in the listing and they needed more money for postage. When I didn't give in they canceled the orders. I've also had sellers look at my buying history after my purchase, cancel the orders and relist at a much higher price. All of them used  buyer requested cancellation as an excuse.

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

Yes. It has been that way for years.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

@rosie247 

@slippinjimmy 

Unfortunately though, this happens in reverse. Buyers cancelling orders using incorrect or non-applicable reasons. Whatever they use as a seller we have to take them at their word even when there are penalties/fees...however we want to call it. Sometimes the buyer will just choose "close enough" because a correct choice isn't officially there. Maybe there should be some place there for an explanation in those cases. As a seller we are having less and less control of our business and then charges when we never did anything wrong other than create a listing and have a buyer change their mind.

-Lotz

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

About 6 weeks ago this happened to me also.  One was an immediate cancellation  (within seconds) after using BIN; another hours later.  Both disappeared from the seller's hub after 35-40 days.  Meanwhile, it looked like neither had been handled -  neither buyer bothered to affirm.  Reminder emails from eBay kept arriving for the next few weeks.  

Message 30 of 40
latest reply