cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All I hear is Bad Sales, Bad Sales. Anyone with Good sales?

So many threads of late about how dead Ebay is. I have been very dead myself otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with this thread, but since I have nothing to do, here I am.. Im using another account other than my selling account, just because Im on this account. Not using this account as my posting.

Anyways. It would good to hear if there are still sellers doing well. Reading all the threads it just seems doom and gloom. 

Sure would be nice if the New CEO would put out some statement about positive changes, but most likely its the new one being the same as the old one. We will see. Ebay has made a lot of personal changes in the last few years... Sinking Ship??

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: All I hear is Bad Sales, Bad Sales. Anyone with Good sales?

Maybe those folks like my granddaughter should file a Schedule C and take a loss on those "business" transactions since they are selling their items for less than they paid for them originally as well as paying fees to eBay and paypal. 

What is the difference between selling used personal items on eBay and selling them at a yard sale??   

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@wpt05 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@wpt05 wrote:

@kathieskorner wrote:

Most of those coming here to report good sales - use a posting ID so it's kind of hard to know what is selling well.   

It is also hard to know if they are telling the truth since there is no proof of their great sales record.  

For what purpose do they need to make it seem as if their sales are something they are not?  

I don't know.  Maybe they are running for president.  

I've seen other threads where people were complaining about no sales, but when I looked at their id, they had many sales...    

Point taken.  I've seen that too.  And when I've posted a question about that they just ignored the question.

understood … but when you used to average 5-7 sales a day and now average 1 sale per day and a half …  it's close enough to no sales.  I know most items I have listed are between $7-$10, but going from $18k plus just over a year ago to the now $4-$5k in last year …  it's a bigggg drop.

the only good thing is that I very rarely get any kind of negative feedback from buyers, and very very few returns...  so the sales I do have are good ones!

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

@uncseniorsportsfan wrote:

Maybe those folks like my granddaughter should file a Schedule C and take a loss on those "business" transactions since they are selling their items for less than they paid for them originally as well as paying fees to eBay and paypal. 

What is the difference between selling used personal items on eBay and selling them at a yard sale??   

I realize you are being sarcastic, but I never came close to suggesting such a thing.

Yard sale requirements vary by city and county across the nation.  Some have no rules and others do.  For the particular rules on that you have to check with your local government.

Selling on the internet is different.  You aren't selling local, you are selling worldwide for the most part.  You aren't typically selling to your neighbors.  

You don't like the idea of having to report your sales to the state and federal government.  I get that.  There are lots of people that feel the same way you do.  Doesn't make it right for those that choose not to report their sales.  But I know there are lots that don't.  

IRS use to say if you earned $600 or more in a calendar year you needed to report your income.  But they no longer do that.  They have no minimum threshold stated.

As far as reporting sales to a state.  I would imagine that while the reporting should happen, most states will have a minimum threshold before any state business taxes are due.  In the state I'm in, they don't begin until you have about $45,000 in sales.  But if you are below that threshold it doesn't mean we aren't required to report, it just means that unless we have some sales tax to remit to the state, there won't be any tax due.  

As I stated before.  Whether you are purchasing stuff to be sold here, cleaning out your closets or selling off collections of whatever it is you have collected over the years.  Everything sold on Ebay is a business transaction.  Now certainly that doesn't mean that every single person that has sold something on Ebay has to set up as a business with their state and/or claim whatever they made on Ebay to the IRS.  Certainly there are exceptions where the values are just too low to even consider this.  But because you already owned the item or items you sell here is not the rule of thumb to follow to determine this.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 48 of 56
latest reply

@dasarock wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@wpt05 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@wpt05 wrote:

@kathieskorner wrote:

Most of those coming here to report good sales - use a posting ID so it's kind of hard to know what is selling well.   

It is also hard to know if they are telling the truth since there is no proof of their great sales record.  

For what purpose do they need to make it seem as if their sales are something they are not?  

I don't know.  Maybe they are running for president.  

I've seen other threads where people were complaining about no sales, but when I looked at their id, they had many sales...    

Point taken.  I've seen that too.  And when I've posted a question about that they just ignored the question.

understood … but when you used to average 5-7 sales a day and now average 1 sale per day and a half …  it's close enough to no sales.  I know most items I have listed are between $7-$10, but going from $18k plus just over a year ago to the now $4-$5k in last year …  it's a bigggg drop.

the only good thing is that I very rarely get any kind of negative feedback from buyers, and very very few returns...  so the sales I do have are good ones!

OK.  I have no idea what your sales were last year.  I hope things improve for you very soon.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 

Yes. The US state taxes show up on our invoices, but we don't touch them in any way.  Strictly a pass-through.

@uncseniorsportsfan 

More important is to keep records.

An item purchased for personal use, used for personal use, and then re-sold does not have the same value as an item (new or used) purchased for resale.

Usually using the item reduces the value, but I also sell rare postage stamps and even the used ones (sometimes) have increased in value.

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

I'm pretty happy with my sales. 42 sales this week, which is good for me, since I'm not a high-volume seller.

Sales are better than last October. I should surpass my 2018 top line for the year by the end of this coming week, which is nice, because I started off the year slowly due to my own inactivity.

Despite what's been going on, I have found the biggest factor in the health of my sales has been consistently listing stuff people seem to want. 

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@mam98031 

Yes. The US state taxes show up on our invoices, but we don't touch them in any way.  Strictly a pass-through.

@uncseniorsportsfan 

More important is to keep records.

An item purchased for personal use, used for personal use, and then re-sold does not have the same value as an item (new or used) purchased for resale.

Usually using the item reduces the value, but I also sell rare postage stamps and even the used ones (sometimes) have increased in value.

I'm glad you understand, I actually thought you did from other posts on this subject.  Your post I responded to say that you collect the taxes.  I think it was just a matter of you knew what you wanted to say, but it came out slightly different than intended.

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

I was on my best 4-6 week run all year, this week one of the worst, if not worst, all year.

Who can figure it out?

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

So many threads of late about how dead Ebay is. I have been very dead myself otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with this thread, but since I have nothing to do, here I am.. Im using another account other than my selling account, just because Im on this account. Not using this account as my posting.

Anyways. It would good to hear if there are still sellers doing well. Reading all the threads it just seems doom and gloom. 

It is the nature of discussion forums such as this on all kinds of site.  Typically the vast majority of threads / discussions will be about negative things about the site or some type of problem that someone is seeking help or advice on.  That is just what forums are mostly about.  So it is no surprise that the majority of threads you read on this subject are negative.

It is important to remember that the people that come to the forums represent a small fraction of the 6.7 million sellers in the USA or 25 million sellers worldwide.  That isn't to say that what is said here isn't important, because it most certainly is.  But just as there are those upset with Ebay for one reason or another, there are others that are happy with Ebay and/or are doing fine.

Logic tells us this has to be true.  Because if all or most sellers were having terrible sales, they wouldn't stay.

Sure would be nice if the New CEO would put out some statement about positive changes, but most likely its the new one being the same as the old one. We will see. Ebay has made a lot of personal changes in the last few years... Sinking Ship??

We don't have a new CEO yet.  Just a temporary one and when it is an interim CEO, typically big changes aren't made during that period.  Ebay never makes "personal changes".  Ebay is a business as is every seller on Ebay.  Every single transaction on Ebay is a business transaction.  There are no personal transactions on Ebay.  Some may say they aren't a business, but they are, certainly various sizes.  

I think they meant "Personnel changes"

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

Glad someone else figured that out lol
Message 55 of 56
latest reply

What is the IS debacle you are mentioning? I sell mostly womens clothing  as well and just posted because none of my items show in searches! Is this the IS issue you are referring to?

Message 56 of 56
latest reply