cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on hI handle this payment dispute.

I sent an order out to a buyer the day after he ordered. A few days later he messages me that he did not get the order. When I check the tracking number there is a photo with the package sitting near a front door. When I forward the image to the buyer he says it is not his house. This buyer happened to be a repeat customer and I didn't recall any issues with the first transaction (about a year ago) so I sent a second order out and filed a claim with UPS. The day before the second order is scheduled to arrive he tells me he cancelled the credit card transaction because I "failed to do what I said I was going to do". About this same time I learn that my UPS claim is denied because the buyer failed to acknowledge non-delivery of the package. All this happened in about 8 days so there was no unnecessary delays on my part plus I kept the customer informed along the way. After being told he cancelled the CC transaction I immediately had the 2nd package re-routed back to me. Now I have to respond to a "payment dispute". My question is do you think I should just reference the first tracking number that shows proof of delivery? Or include all the correspondence and tracking of the second shipment to show my efforts to go above and beyond to satisfy this customer? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

When a buyer files a dispute directly with their Credit Card Company that is called a Chargeback.  If they file a claim in Ebay, then that is a dispute.

Sounds to me like you have a Chargeback.

Let me ask you a VERY important question.  When you reshipped the item, did you go back to the original transaction and create the label from the original order?  If you did, can you still see the original tracking one the order?

If you went back to the original order and created the shipping label for the 2nd order, you likely caused the details of the tracking on the original shipment to disappear.  And not only that you would get a late shipment defect too as Ebay would look at your new shipment.

I'm hoping you did not do that.

Let's go with the original tracking is still showing on the transaction.  If it is, you should be covered under Ebay Seller protection for INRs.  As long as you shipped to the address on the payment and you shipped within your stated handling time.  Now if all this is true, make sure you respond to the Chargeback.  You can send evidence in.  Get a full copy of the UPS tracking on the original order and submit that TOMORROW.  You have a limited time in which to respond.  The CCC takes it sweet time to review it, but you have a strict timeline to follow.

Then you wait.  If the CCC finds against you then Ebay should cover you under Seller Protection.  If they don't and they take the money from you, come on back and we can help you appeal that so you get your money back.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

"Your buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on Aug 02, 2023. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution. "

Both tracking numbers are still visible. I'm going to just provide the info they need for the first shipment and see what happens. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Good job in getting that second order recalled.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yep, UPS and Fed Ex take pictures of shipments now so they also have that as well as the original tracking showing delivered.  They should  win that dispute.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I would Google map street view buyers' location, if possible, just for curiosity. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Usually the chargeback disputes with credit card institutions are loss for Sellers. I had one not too long ago. The dispute was ruled in favor of Buyer, regardless the furnished strong evidence. I was communicating with the Buyer, and I sent a second package as well. The Buyer started the dispute as soon as I mailed the second package. Very similar, and it sounds like a well known skim to commit fraud. I had a proof of delivery for both packages, buy credit card institution took the money back any way. In my case, Ebay stepped in, and honored the Seller's Protection, so EBay released my funds. In your case can go either way. You can try, but more likely the credit card institution will take the money back, and from this point depends if you are covered under the Sellers Protection. If not, to keep in mind, beside the dispute amount you will be charged $20 for the lost case.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@a-cut-above wrote:

"Your buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on Aug 02, 2023. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution. "

Both tracking numbers are still visible. I'm going to just provide the info they need for the first shipment and see what happens. 

Keep in mind that Ebay sometimes messes up on this and will take the refund from your money if the Chargeback CCC rules in their buyer's favor, which is highly likely.  Sometimes Ebay gets it right and sometimes it doesn't.  So if you end up paying for it, you need to appeal it and Ebay should refund you.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Yep, UPS and Fed Ex take pictures of shipments now so they also have that as well as the original tracking showing delivered.  They should  win that dispute.

USPS takes pics along the route as it moves through their system.  I don't think they do at delivery, but that is a great idea for sure.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@yoonix1 wrote:

Usually the chargeback disputes with credit card institutions are loss for Sellers. I had one not too long ago. The dispute was ruled in favor of Buyer, regardless the furnished strong evidence. I was communicating with the Buyer, and I sent a second package as well. The Buyer started the dispute as soon as I mailed the second package. Very similar, and it sounds like a well known skim to commit fraud. I had a proof of delivery for both packages, buy credit card institution took the money back any way. In my case, Ebay stepped in, and honored the Seller's Protection, so EBay released my funds. In your case can go either way. You can try, but more likely the credit card institution will take the money back, and from this point depends if you are covered under the Sellers Protection. If not, to keep in mind, beside the dispute amount you will be charged $20 for the lost case.

@yoonix1 

IMHO you nor the OP should have ever sent the second package.  You both were covered under Seller Protection and would not have lost an INR case.  As for a Chargeback for an INR, you are still protected, so if initially Ebay pulls the money from you, you could have appealed and gotten your money back.

As for the $20 fee, you could have gotten that refunded too.

Seller protection on INRs is strong.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply