cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice about a possible scammer-buyer

So I sold an item 50 days ago.  I normally do not leave FB until AFTER the buyer.  On a whim, I was combing thru older transactions, and decided that I could leave positive FB for transactions older than 30 days, as long as there were no issues.  I left feedback for this 50 days old sale, and a few hours later, the buyer begins messaging me insisting that the item had been returned to me, and that I owed them a refund.  The messages were brief, often one sentence, but direct.  I have no record of any communication with this buyer, and certainly no return/refund request.  

What is also a little puzzling, is that they have positive feedback (177), and I couldnt find anything obviously suspicious about their account or activity.  

What should I do?  The last message I asked if they could provide a tracking number for the return, and that I would check my warehouse (small designated dresser).  They just replied "ok"

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would have ignored the buyer. You don’t need to do anything at this point. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

As far as eBay is concerned you do not have to do anything or really have any worries unless this was an international sale?  The buyer can still file through paypal though, but as far as the return goes I doubt anything they can provide to a paypal case that happened before a case was opened or part of the case from the beginning would hold and value to Paypal.

I would just block the buyer and move on.

Good Luck SElling!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

"What should I do? "

Nothing.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your input.  Have you ever run into a situation similar to this?  I have been on eBay for 10 years or so, but just started selling regularly for the last 6 months.  I have run into non payers, fake listings, but this is new to me.  I was really considering leaving instant feedback upon payment, but this caught me off guard, and makes me want to stick to my original policy.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Not an international sale.  Believe it or not, they seem to be easier transactions for me.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@eyem4jesus wrote:

So I sold an item 50 days ago.  I normally do not leave FB until AFTER the buyer.  On a whim, I was combing thru older transactions, and decided that I could leave positive FB for transactions older than 30 days, as long as there were no issues.  I left feedback for this 50 days old sale, and a few hours later, the buyer begins messaging me insisting that the item had been returned to me, and that I owed them a refund.  The messages were brief, often one sentence, but direct.  I have no record of any communication with this buyer, and certainly no return/refund request.  

What is also a little puzzling, is that they have positive feedback (177), and I couldnt find anything obviously suspicious about their account or activity.  

What should I do?  The last message I asked if they could provide a tracking number for the return, and that I would check my warehouse (small designated dresser).  They just replied "ok"

I also would insist on them providing the tracking number for the return and details about how they opened the return request since none was ever filed for this purchase.  I have had MANY instances where buyers confused purchases from me with purchases from other sellers when the items are similar.  Maybe their return was with a different seller but they replied to you when they saw the feedback.

You gave me a good chuckle when you said you would "check my warehouse" which is a small designated dresser!  So many of us!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Dont worry about it.  We would block them though just to be safe.  Best regards

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@eyem4jesus wrote: 

For starters, stop messaging them. It's good that you're a concerned seller, but leave the ball in their court. If they can't supply a tracking number for the return, it never happened. Don't chase them for it. They may well be thinking of another seller, but you drew their attention by nudging up their feedback count.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Simply ask for the tracking number, if it is not forthcoming there is nothing to do, do not message anymore, i had exactly the same thing last month, an international buyer claimed they had returned an item to me, there was no return opened or message at all, they stated they had no tracking number, nothing more for me to do then, they never replied.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I normally do not leave FB until AFTER the buyer. ... I left feedback for this 50 days old sale,...the buyer begins messaging me insisting ...that I owed them a refund.  

Unless they can provide Proof of Delivery, both eBay and PP will find for you.

I usually leave FB as soon as I ship because I don't use tracking.

I would never have thought of leaving late FB as an incitement to fraudulent INR claims.

Huh- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply