cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASK ME ABOUT: Product Research (formerly known as Terapeak)

Hello Everyone,

We're thrilled to announce the launch of our brand-new interactive series, which is set to take the place of our former "Monthly Chat with eBay Staff" program. This series is designed to bring you closer to the heart of eBay's operations and provide you with insider insights that can help grow your business.

Our introductory session will focus on the topic of product research. Product research is now available on mobile, and you can find more information here. We're excited to have our dedicated Product Research Team on board to field your questions and share their expertise.

Here's how you can participate:

1. Submit Your Questions by May 9th: You have until Thursday, May 9th, to reply to this post and submit your questions about product research. This is your chance to get personalized advice straight from the source.
  2. Answers Provided Next Week: The Product Research Team will compile their responses and provide comprehensive answers to your queries next week.

To ensure a smooth and informative session for everyone, we kindly ask that you:

• Stay on Topic: Please make sure your questions are related to product research. 
  • Check Existing Questions: Before posting, take a moment to scroll through the questions already submitted to avoid repetition.
  • Be Concise: Aim to keep your message or question clear and limit it to one or two key points. If your post contains multiple questions, please note that they may not all be addressed during the chat. 

We're looking forward to an engaging and productive discussion. Your insights and inquiries are what make our community thrive, and we can't wait to see the valuable conversations that will emerge from this series.

Best regards,

The eBay Community Team

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

So only one day's notice to post questions? 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Not even a full day at that.

A week would have been nice.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@community_team wrote:

We're looking forward to an engaging and productive discussion. Your insights and inquiries are what make our community thrive, and we can't wait to see the valuable conversations that will emerge from this series.

@community_team : Not to sound too picky here, but in terms of "discussion" and "conversation": will there be an opportunity for readers to post responses to the "comprehensive answers to your queries next week"? It's not really a dialogue otherwise; it's more like an FAQ if we can only post questions in advance and then read whatever is issued as a response in the following week.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@community_team wrote:

@community_team : Not to sound too picky here, but in terms of "discussion" and "conversation": will there be an opportunity for readers to post responses to the "comprehensive answers to your queries next week"? It's not really a dialogue otherwise; it's more like an FAQ if we can only post questions in advance and then read whatever is issued as a response in the following week.

Hi @a_c_green. This will operate similar to the prior monthly chat.  Once we closed it after the hour we requested that any follow up questions be posted to the appropriate board with a tag to one or all community members, so that will be what is advised here as well . We will then get it passed to the team to get answered. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Will barcode scanning be added to the "Product Research" feature on the mobile app?

Edit:

A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Product Research - Product Recall

While investigating a line of merchandise I am considering I discovered a couple of brands had past product safety recalls. Safety recalls can range from minor to life threatening and can create an issue for the buyer and the seller and potentially eBay.

1. Will eBay readily provide product recall information for any product researched using eBay tools via a clickable link within the research results? 

2. In the event of a product recall, does / will eBay notify both the seller and buyer, and who has financial liability for making the buyer whole or for any damages incurred and for how long is that liability in effect? 

Edit:

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Am I correct?  

Product Research uses the same "search algorithm" that the regular search does.

If I enter Wells Art Glaze into the search, I do not expect to get back items with no matching words or an abbreviation of one of those words.    "well" instead of wells.   And I haven't figured out why I got "care bears tea set 3 piece, tea for one 2003 a little love rainbow NEW!"   (118 items in this search)

I tried a search for wells art glaze china, results were 9, two of whom were not a match.

I need a way to separate vintage fiesta  from post86 and later fiesta.  Using the word vintage fiesta brings up anything with 'fiesta' in it, including items with new in the title.  (26,065 items in this search)

Imagine someone hearing "Vintage Fiesta sells really well" doing this search and getting the results it does.

Can you imagine walking into a car dealership and saying "I want to see a red car" and they show you  a bunch of red cars, a bunch of red trucks and a couple of red bicycles? 

Edit:

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

That's a pretty big ask considering that as it is right now ebay will summarily pull items citing recalls when the item is NOT the recalled item, and there's no point trying to argue otherwise either.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

How did we get it to show up in our mobile app? There's no option to update eBay in Google Play and it still hasn't shown up for me where it's supposed to (Above the selling promotions area in the Selling Tab/Section of the app)

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@postcardcountry 

"Am I correct?  

Product Research uses the same "search algorithm" that the regular search does."

No. Product Research is a bit more "exact" than regular ebay search. This was mentioned several times in the PR presentation at the last Seller Check In. The replay can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdR3BuDNGI

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@sapphire_studio  The rollout is gradual. However, sellers who attended the Seller Check In, as I did, were told we'd be the first to get it. Replay video of the Check In is here. Early access for attendees mentioned around 7: 44, and a couple more times after that:

So far, I don't have it either. I have the most current Android App version and have Android Version 13.

I assume for whatever reason ebay has decided I'm not going to be among the first to get this LOL

So, my question for the team is: how long before the rest of us actually get this?

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller At the Seller Check In, they indicated that they plan on adding bar code scanner ability and sell through rate info, along with other features, at a later date.

Replay video here:

My question for the Team: do we have any timeline for any of the additional features?

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay 

Will the subject change from Month to Month or is this only for the subject in this announcement?

I understand that questions are suppose to be submitted by tomorrow, but then what happens?  Do we have an interactive Chat like we use to or is the team just going to publish answers to questions?  And on what date does this happen?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Has this feature even rolled out yet?  How are we supposed to know what to ask since we don't see anything?

Edit:

Message 15 of 27
latest reply