cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

Hello.

I have a collectible set of books that I have had listed for several months... lots of looking and watchers, but no bites.   Early this week I got a communication from a buyer asking if I would see for $300 less .. that's half off the original $600 listing price. I didn't reply.  Then suddenly yesterday, the item sold.  I am worried that the first person who emailed me is the one who actually bought it (using a different eBay ID).  Bothe eBay IDs are linked to the UK, although the item actually ships to Canada.

The scam would be to  ask for a return (claiming false damage etc. and when I ask for it back, will send me something else.).  Am I being paranoid?  Is there anything I can do to protect myself, or should I cancel the sale based on this 'gut instinct' ?

Thanks for your help!!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

You have no proof of someone trying to scam you. Just because someone asks you to sell it for half price and then decides to pay full price, does not justify a cancellation. It seems that they may have just been trying to get a deal. 

You sold it and the buyer paid. Ship it. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

If you are worried about fraud associated with an International Sale, you could have many fewer worries if you list with shipping by Ebay International Shipping where your risk ends when it reaches Ebay's shipping hub,

If you chose EIS for this listing, you are covered. If you did not, you will know for next time.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

You use EIS, so once it reaches the US hub, your job is done.

Anything that happens after that, Ebay takes care of it.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

But what if buyer claims there was a problem with item not related to shipping?  As I understand it EIS only covers damage elated to shipping.  How do I prove that the item was shipped in pristine condition?  

Thanks!

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

Once you get it to the EIS hub, you are in the clear. eBay is responsible for everything after they accept it at the hub.

Posting ID
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

@robavecmaria wrote:

But what if buyer claims there was a problem with item not related to shipping?  As I understand it EIS only covers damage elated to shipping.  How do I prove that the item was shipped in pristine condition?  

Thanks!

I've taken pics during the packing process on orders where the buyer gave me vibes that there might be issues down the line.

From empty box, to how each item was wrapped, to bottom layer of packing material, all the way to the sealed box with the label attached.

Luckily, I never had any issues where I would need to present the pictures as proof that the order was well packed & item pristine when it left my possession. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

@robavecmaria wrote:

Thanks!

EIS covers any and all claims as long as the item arrives at EIS intact.

Covered

Damaged in transit (after arriving at EIS)

Not As Described (any reason)

Item Not Received

Payment Dispute

In my opinion EIS shipping charges to the buyer are "high" but the Seller Protections are incredibly strong, so strong that I would not be surprised if down the road they become less generous......but that is a potential for the future, right now they basically cover any type of issue.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

@robavecmaria wrote:

Am I being paranoid? 

Yes. 

My advice.

Go ahead with the sale.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

@robavecmaria wrote:

Thanks!

You don't have to, Ebay will take care of it.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

@ltldpr wrote:

@robavecmaria wrote:

Thanks!

I've taken pics during the packing process on orders where the buyer gave me vibes that there might be issues down the line.

From empty box, to how each item was wrapped, to bottom layer of packing material, all the way to the sealed box with the label attached.

Luckily, I never had any issues where I would need to present the pictures as proof that the order was well packed & item pristine when it left my possession. 

@ltldpr  and if you do have an issue, your photos will never be looked at or taken into account in any type of eBay dispute. They are simply not accepted.

Posting ID
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

@ltldpr wrote:

@robavecmaria wrote:

Thanks!

They wouldn't even look at the pictures for any kind of proof.

What matters is the condition the item is in when it reaches the buyer, not when you ship it.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

(If there is an issue with the books, how will they determine the issue was not related to shipping?)

As long as you described your item accurately, shipped it timely in good packaging, you have done all you can to ensure success. 

I understand how you feel. There is inherent risk in selling online. But the best time to evaluate one’s risk tolerance is prior to listing the item. Once it is sold, set worry aside until something actually happens to cause a concern. Anticipating trouble when nothing concrete is amiss will only create angst at a time when you should be glad you have met your goal of selling the item at the price you wanted to get. Trust you have done what is required to ensure customer satisfaction. Congrats on a great sale!!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

Thank you for such a thoughtful, understanding reply.  I appreciate your thorough answer.

And thanks to all those who responded! I'm grateful for the help!

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

AM I BEING SCAMMED?

I told items for 2000 plus and I have not been scammed. Relax. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply