cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A nutty buyer wrote a book in my feedback (and ran out of room)

That guy that messaged me 10 times wrote a book in my feedback profile (what he wrote here is very similar to the jibberish I got in messages). He ran out of room and started messaging me again.

I had notifications on  his coin to see when it arrived, which was yesterday. I've been waiting for a storm of messages from this guy.

C.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: A nutty buyer wrote a book in my feedback (and ran out of room)

buyer tought that feedback  is a chat season.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 31 of 48
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

I had problems with a toon on a cut coin necklace.  He was yowling about filing for an SNAD because the item didn't match the description. In two separate messages.  It did, to a T, and thank goodness I checked before replying because it was still for sale.  I didn't respond, blocked the toon and reported him to eBay for abuse and took the necklace down for good measure. 

Coins seem to attract people either off their meds or in need of some. 

I've taken things down for similar reasons. Most notably was the buyer who bid all my Chinese coins up to the moon but then didn't pay. I took them down, went to Norway for three weeks, and by the time I had come back he had moved on to a new target.

C.

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Be thankful it was positive.  The extra characters stick out even more when neg or neu.  Add to the fact people try to condense and squeeze in as much as possible it doesn't always make sense.  With your 122 feedbacks this month it will disappear in about a week.  I sell much less and mine will take a month. 

Not worried. My pool of people says that if it's 100% they don't even bother to read. If it's not 100% positive, they only read the negs/neutrals. No one will bother with this guy's feedback.

C.

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Wait until he finds out he resides on your BBL......lol

Blocked from buying but not messages.

(Again, I never wish to sell coins!)

The BBL mainly keeps people I don't want to sell to from receiving my offers. Every nut that I get got an offer from me and if I don't BBL them, they will keep getting offers.

Most of them want deals, so it's unlikely one will try to buy and find out he can't. So far no one has ever contacted me to ask why they couldn't purchase (except one time the guy had unpaid strikes and wanted an exception, I gave him one).

C.

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

That guy that messaged me 10 times wrote a book in my feedback profile (what he wrote here is very similar to the jibberish I got in messages). He ran out of room and started messaging me again.

Oh, yeah, lonely and wanting to chitchat. At least he doesn't seem hostile...

I think he's assuming that he's talking to a fellow collector rather than a seller who is paying attention to him (at least temporarily) because he bought something, similar to a car salesman who pretends to be fascinated by your witty commentary because he just wants to sell you a car. Your buyer thus wants to talk about everything under the sun. Hopefully when you stop responding he will go on to someone else. (What does his Feedback Left for Others look like?)

The thing is, I am a collector. But I don't generally collect what I sell. Lots of my coins are too expensive. Some of the cheaper ones I either don't want, or already have one. (By cheap I mean $10-15).

So that being said, I do talk to my customers about coins and collecting and engage in chit chat. The guy in this story sent me one very inappropriate message talking about something everyone in this forum will find offensive (which is why I won't go there), and that's why I had to BBL. It didn't end there, I got 8 more messages after that and I didn't read any of them, so I don't know what he was writing about. (Well I opened them to make sure it wasn't about the order, and none of the messages were about coins or tokens either, just a bunch of rambling... like the FB he left).

C.

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

It's kind of sweet. I like that kind message better than the alternative. Probably lives in a very small limited number of people community, just trying to reach out. I'd probably chat a little with him if it was me.

I mentioned in a previous message it was his choice of inappropriate topics that made me stop talking to him. Normally I will engage with my customers for a few messages.

C.

Message 36 of 48
latest reply

Might make for a fun pen pal.

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

I haven't looked up this specific rule lately,

but eBay used to have a rule where sellers can get a feedback comment pulled, if it doesn't refer to the exact transaction.

I see no mention of this sale, or item, or condition, etc .. in their little story.

Anyone?

Lynn

I'm not going to bother. It's giving everyone a good laugh, so that's good at least. It doesn't matter what I get involved in, I always attract some trouble. This afternoon one of our customers decided to start calling me repeatedly on my extension at work (because he talked to me this morning and didn't get the results he wanted by this afternoon). I had to turn off the ringer and contact the team lead that was involved in this to let him know the client was harassing me. I was taking calls on the queue, so I wasn't answering my personal extension anyway.

But all this is good story of the day material when I return to work on Monday.

C.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Storyteller feedback

Can we presume what we did read would someday lead to an end of story ?

when the story was being told in messages a couple of months ago I only got to the end because I told him to stop messaging. (I didn't say it like that, I told him I'm at work doing work stuff, and can't reply to his messages), he stopped sending them until today.

C.

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

@gkn29 wrote:

@vintage-car-magazines wrote:

"very hot, Isolated, no Police officers"

Apparently, nobody to talk to either.

I just looked up temps there. I thought it was supposed to be winter? 80 degrees in winter? Yikes, I wonder what the summer temps are.

He said Cairns, I've been to Cairns a couple of years ago. It was 100 degrees. I took my partner on a four mile walk from the hotel into the suburbs to look for fabric. What a good sport, didn't complain once. But he did ask for a cab to go back to the hotel because it was too hot for walking.

Brisbane regularly gets 100 degrees as well. (Oh I should point out I went in December, which is their summer).

C.

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

This would make more sense if you posted a reply to the old discussion instead of starting a new one. I didn't see the old discussion.

Sorry, I wrote from work and have limited capacity to do things between phone calls...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Unbalanced-buyer-won-t-stop-messaging/m-p/31934447

C.

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@18704d wrote:

I haven't looked up this specific rule lately,

but eBay used to have a rule where sellers can get a feedback comment pulled, if it doesn't refer to the exact transaction.

I see no mention of this sale, or item, or condition, etc .. in their little story.

Anyone?

Lynn

I don't recall this exactly the same way. I think there may have been a rule against posting political/religious/other rants that did not relate to the item or transaction, but I'm not sure of that. At any rate, there's nothing in the current rules.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-policies?id=4208

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/seller-performance-def...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/appeal-defect?id=4871

The only thing I can see that might apply in this case would be publishing contact information, since the buyer mentioned where they reside. But I think this is stretched very, very thin.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/contact-information-sharing-policy?id=43...

To my mind, this type of communication is a person who needs and deserves some consideration and kindness. I think this goes beyond trying to be chatty, and shows a person with some socialization issues, probably not rising to the level of being dangerous or concerning, but someone who is not acting in the way we have come to expect for so-called "normal" people. I think there should be concerns that this person might be susceptible to being victimized by con artists, but I don't think there's any legitimate reason (or way) to report suspicions to authorities. I just hope that someone is looking out for this person's interests, and making sure they are taken care of and not being victimized.

I'm not going to report him. And I didn't report his inappropriate eBay message either, I decided ignoring the messages was a better course of action.

I'm very tolerant until someone talks about something I find to be offensive.

C.

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

I didn't see that you had mentioned he said something inappropriate. Sorry about that.

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

I wonder if he got confused between messaging you and leaving feedback - I've seen feedbacks where it's obvious that the individual has stumbled onto the wrong text box, hit the wrong button and thought they were doing 'message to seller.'  Sounds like a very nice, possibly somewhat computer illiterate person. 

One July day in Darwin I thought I was going to melt.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 44 of 48
latest reply

OMG, I just had the best idea. Tell your buyer about this community forum. He can chat away to his hearts content.

Message 45 of 48
latest reply