cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 months later eBay still won't delete my account.

This is an FYI as well as a request for answers. I was here in 2020 asking questions about how to deal with a number of seller issues. That was last year, 6 months ago now. Based on the extremely snarky and unhelpful answers I received here, as well as a lack of resolution from eBay customer service I resolved to delete my account. I was met with more snark, people happy to see me leave and some joking that I would be back.

Well, I have not sold in 6 months, no activity whatsoever. Yet I am still unable to delete my account. I have nothing outstanding, no negative marks. No action items with this account at all for 6+ months. Yet I am still unable to delete it. In the latest runaround(I will spare everyone the first 3 attempts I made), eBay has claimed I have a 'subscription' that they 'can't find'. If eBay can't find my subscription, it's safe to say I have no subscriptions. Because I have no subscriptions. They have assured me 'I am not being charged for the subscription'. The subscription is obviously just the latest red herring. They keep giving the runaround about deleting my account. It's been going on like this for 6 months.

Let this be a warning to everyone how unethical eBay has actually become. They are not responsible handlers of your data and regularly dole out false or ridiculous information in an attempt to blow you off. Pure gaslighting.

Once and for all; Please. Delete. My. eBay. Account.

And delete all my data! I have moved on. There is no reason to retain my data. No sales or transactions of any kind in 2021. Cool? Cool.

Any suggestions that would help get my account deleted are appreciated.

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: 6 months later eBay still won't delete my account.

When you ask if anyone has ever been able to delete their account, you must consider the subjective definition of 'delete'.  You consider it to be when all of your records/personal data is deleted/eradicated.  Perhaps ebay considers it as being when the records/personal data is taken off the 'active rolls', though not necessarily deleted/eradicated completely.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 31 of 58
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

When you ask if anyone has ever been able to delete their account, you must consider the subjective definition of 'delete'.  You consider it to be when all of your records/personal data is deleted/eradicated.  Perhaps ebay considers it as being when the records/personal data is taken off the 'active roles', though not necessarily deleted/eradicated completely.

You are supposed to get an email verifying scheduled deletion. My question is, has anyone every succeeded in getting the email?

Email date signifies when end date deletion is to take place, be it two months or two years later. In many cases they keep ghost records of email addresses to prohibit you from skirting rules. But all those details are unimportant.

Q: Is the button bogus or has it ever worked for anyone?

Message 32 of 58
latest reply

Honestly, if someone stated that they were leaving because of snarky remarks made here, wouldn't you want to check to see if you were responsible for any of the snarkiness?  

Message 33 of 58
latest reply

In reply to 'that' question, I've never heard of it happening, though I admit I don't frequent all of the forums all that often.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 34 of 58
latest reply

I can't speak for here in the US, but I have deleted a selling account in the past (Australia) and no issue. Seller account deleted 3 months after I closed it - this was way back though, probably 2015

Maybe the suspension of your account is blocking the closure, though you would think eBay could rectify that for you

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 35 of 58
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Honestly, if someone stated that they were leaving because of snarky remarks made here, wouldn't you want to check to see if you were responsible for any of the snarkiness?  

Honestly, no. I'd just try to answer the question or move on.

Message 36 of 58
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

I can't speak for here in the US, but I have deleted a selling account in the past (Australia) and no issue. Seller account deleted 3 months after I closed it - this was way back though, probably 2015

Just leave it inactive, it will most likely just fall off at some point, I have no idea how they do it now or what subscription they are talking about - a store you had maybe??

Thanks that's helpful. I'll keep trying. Maybe it's just the usual ebay disorganization and CS ineptitude.

Message 37 of 58
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@electronics510 wrote:
Maybe they just haven't gotten slapped for anything yet since they have been a relatively small player for so long. 

"Relatively small" using what measure? 

luckythewinner_0-1624103915460.png

I had NO idea how badly Amazon was beating the pants off Ebay !

Message 38 of 58
latest reply

@electronics510 wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

Honestly, no. I'd just try to answer the question or move on.

Exactly.   Exactly.  electronics510, please come back and let us know if Ebay via FB was able to help you.  I have read time and time again how people get real answers there instead of Ebay's usual (from what I read here) customer service runaround.    

Message 39 of 58
latest reply

@b4b4b4b wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@electronics510 wrote:
Maybe they just haven't gotten slapped for anything yet since they have been a relatively small player for so long. 

"Relatively small" using what measure? 

luckythewinner_0-1624103915460.png

I had NO idea how badly Amazon was beating the pants off Ebay !

Amazon is 45x the market cap of eBay. That graph is gracious, or just cherry picked to display favorable 'click' data...whatever. It's still relatively small, even in that graph.

eBay had some advantages, back when they worked. Local pickup, for instance used to be useful. It isn't worth the time anymore since 4/5 buyers buy it based on some ad campaign ebay runs that offers 'free shipping' on your local pickup items.

Then ebay leaves you in the lurch for a month, till you finally cancel and risk the neg that you then have to fight to have removed. Unless you get lucky and get your buyer to ask to cancel.

Their platform isn't improving. That's of issue. It's getting worse, clunkier. They got a bump recently in their stock price since earnings went up a bit based on MP. Good for them.

I'm closing up here. It's not worth the time.

Message 40 of 58
latest reply

I just kept at it. Kept chatting over and over to different reps. Finally got someone just now who took care of it. No Facebook. Attached is my confirmation.

This was an incredibly frustrating process for no reason at all. I have literally been at this for months.

Took hours of my time overall. Several hour long conversations. It is a lesson to me, what a net loss working with this company has become. Time better spent elsewhere FOR SURE.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 3.19.06 AM.png

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

Have you considered, you may be able to "edit" said data in such a way that it does little good to anyone who might find it.
I've done that before, changed all my account information to nonsense.
Then they can hang on to my garbage for as long as they like.

The solution here isn't in eaby's hands, it's not in our hands either, no matter how much you come back here looking for closure... We can't do anything that you can't do, closure here is within you.  Probably going to have to accept some kind of a solution but I will say this, if you're absolutely intent on continuing this path you're on, that won't be difficult.  The hard part here is something you have to do, and that is to find closure, and that closure is within you.

Good luck

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

Interesting that after six months of ongoing effort, there had been no success in closing this account, but confirmation of the account closing was received with only six more hours (give or take) of phone calls on the very day you decide to post about it. If only you had waited one more day before posting . . .

Message 43 of 58
latest reply

Is it possible that your eBay account was hijacked at some point?

I seem to recall a thread a while back about someone who had trouble closing an account due to an "ongoing subscription". It turned out that the account had been hijacked very briefly, and a store subscription had been started on the eBay Hong Kong site. Although Trust and Safety was able to end all the fraudulent listings and restore the account to its apparent former state, the account holder kept getting billed for a store subscription every month.

The account holder was able to call and get the charges removed, but each month another subscription fee would appear, and despite assurances that it would be taken care of, it never was.

Due to differences between the international sites, or possibly how Trust and Safety dealt with the original hijacking, a link to the Hong Kong store did not appear anywhere on the US site -- it could only be seen by signing in to the (non-English) HK site, apparently.

I do not recall the exact details, but I believe that once the store subscription on the HK site was dealt with, the account was able to be closed.

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

If you don't want to sell on eBay that is your decision but why come back here to a forum about it. If there is no longer any activity on said account why worry about having it deleted. Not trying to be rude but you say you have moved on so yeah move on. Just because they don't delete it from their system does not mean you have to come back to it.

Message 45 of 58
latest reply