cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$ 25.00 free coupon to celebrate the eBay anniversary

Trying to figure out how many other people did not deem worthy enough for the coupon. I just spoke to a friend that got them on multiple accounts.  What am I missing here ? 

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: $ 25.00 free coupon to celebrate the eBay anniversary

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

It's for people who have been here since the 90s, at least 20 years.  I have been here for 19 years.  No, I am not heartbroken nor do I feel unworthy - they have to draw the line somewhere.

No, it's not. It seems totally random - From the other long thread:

"I'm wondering how they decided who would get that coupon. Both of our accounts received one. The newer account was only 3 years old. Nonetheless glad to get free spending money."

"Kind of wondering about that too. So far, my newer account ('11) got one but my old one ('04) hasn't. I'll take what I get and do appreciate the coupon."

"Selling continuously since December 1996. ........... No coupon for me. "

"Been here since January 2001. I registered for the 25th anniversary virtual event a couple of days after receiving the invite. No $25 coupon for me.

"I've been around since about 2000. My sister got the coupon and we started at the same time. I did not get one."

"our other account is from July 2017 and we got the coupon"

And for the record, I really don't care, but yeah, I am a little miffed that I didn't get one.

Surveying seller friends it was a clear breakdown between the old-bies (90s to 2000) who got coupons and newbies (like myself) who didn't.  So I guess the fact that it was random with sort of pointless selection criteria is par for the course - we just missed it. I'm still not going to stick a fork in myself but geez - that's ridiculous.

ETA: And hey - my little red bell reads "101" - WOW. Save it's actually 0. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 45
latest reply

Just for everyone's info ..... a friend of mine who does not sell, only buys on ebay also received a coupon.  Member since 1999. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 17 of 45
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

It's for people who have been here for at least 20 years, I suspect with emphasis on people who have been here since the 90s.  I have been here for 19 years.  No, I am not heartbroken nor do I feel unworthy - they have to draw the line somewhere.

You can have $12.50 of mine.   😉

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

It's for people who have been here for at least 20 years, I suspect with emphasis on people who have been here since the 90s.  I have been here for 19 years.  No, I am not heartbroken nor do I feel unworthy - they have to draw the line somewhere.

That has been proven NOT true on MULTIPLE threads on this exact topic. There is no reasonable, understandable criteria for this coupon. There are different people with accounts from 2011 and 2014 that got it - my account from 2001 did not.

It makes people really angry that there was no rhyme or reason for this coupon.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

I have no idea what criteria ebay used to reward some and not others, but since so many sellers are already feeling a bit annoyed over MP, this didn't help to calm the waters.   If they felt like rewarding sellers,  they should have rewarded all sellers (at least all in good standing).  It seems like a misstep to again alienate some when the gesture could have really meant something for everyone.  Did they really think it wouldn't be found out?

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

That has been proven NOT true on MULTIPLE threads on this exact topic. There is no reasonable, understandable criteria for this coupon. There are different people with accounts from 2011 and 2014 that got it - my account from 2001 did not.

I'll guarantee you that ebay did not hit the "random" button when issuing these coupons.  Just because you don't know what the criteria was for issuing them, doesn't mean none exist. 

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@glgenterprise wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I'll guarantee you that ebay did not hit the "random" button when issuing these coupons.  Just because you don't know what the criteria was for issuing them, doesn't mean none exist. 

Of course, but the anger over this has been going on for a week. They could settle people down by being more transparent about it. Oh - wait - eBay doesn't understand how to be transparent about things. What was I thinking?

The extra zero insertion fee listings in April were handed out across the board. The changes to the listing structure for various levels of accounts in August were annoying for those of us who were left out, but at least there was a defined structure. This just feels like a punishment for something that they won't even explain.

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

The only thing I have ever received from ebay is an invoice.

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

You're right. How hard would it have been to say "Here is your coupon. It was giving to all ebay members who _____________________."

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

Nice to read something positive for a change!

I started back in Dec 1995, got my account hacked in 1999. eBay, ended up closing my original account and I lost over 3,000 feedbacks.

I tried to fight it and get my feedbacks added to my new account, but, they made me start from scratch in Dec 1999 and I haven't received a coupon. 

I am not upset though, I am just happy for everyone that does get one! 

I am not going to let the things I can't control bother me. I do understand everyone who is upset as they deserve receiving one. 

No ryhme or reason how they were given I suppose. One of my friends got one and has only  been selling/buying for five years. 

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

You're right. How hard would it have been to say "Here is your coupon. It was giving to all ebay members who _____________________."

Just based on my experience with receiving a coupon, I imagine completing that sentence could prove to be difficult at best or make little sense at worst.   I received one for my ID that is ten years newer than my other ID, has had a fraction of the sales, has a fraction of the listings, a fraction of the feedback and has never been a power seller of any level. 

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

I got something about being thanked for being here since 1996 that included a   complete  rundown   of my first  purchase  and my first sale ,,  which was nice ,, but no coupon .  😞    Tulips 

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

Not seeing anything here either.  Gotta love being disrespected.  I get it all the time lol so i just anticipate it now

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

I received a coupon. Joined in 2004.

I thought I would use it but ran into some problems.

My order was split into to 2 payments and the coupon couldn't be applied.

PROBLEM:  eBay's wonderful programmers can't combine multiple orders that have Paypal only and Managed Payment items.

Finally got to use it and my lawn mower will be repaired at the end of the week.

I almost skipped it and then why not use it when eBay charge fees on shipping, on partial refunds and such.  I am so glad that I have stop selling on eBay. No more stress and started selling on eBid  .   Sales are finally starting.

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

Yep, it would have been nice to receive the coupon.  BUT, why worry about what someone else gets?  I pay a lot of money to eBay, every month, in seller fees - would you prefer that it goes to only those with a certain level of sales or purchase?  Better yet, how about they make the coupon amount commensurate with lifetime sales?

Message 30 of 45
latest reply