cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

After reading several concerns regarding shipping to states where shipping costs are the highest, I decided to do a little experiment. I took the last 50+ sales and put them on a map to see if there was any truth to the claim that eBay is only showing listings in favored areas of the country. 

Notice the second map showing the highest populated states. 

Screenshot_20230601_090345_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230601_142725_Chrome.jpg

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

More than ebay can affect sales trends and who's buying and who's not.

Any seller of mint stamps or Copper coins might offer that people in those areas 

of high humidity don't collect those items because humidity affects the items.

Probably areas with a large portion of 65 and older would make a poor showing 

of buying video games.

Winter boots sell poorly in Hawaii

Sun block sells poorly in  Alaska

The things that affect who and where are sales are going to is endless.     

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

". . . states where shipping costs are the highest . . ."

Since I don't understand your statement at all, could you please expand on it?

The states don't determine shipping costs, the USPS determines shipping costs.  In most situations, it will depend on the size and weight of the package as well as the class of service and THE DISTANCE THE PACKAGE WILL TRAVEL.

Example:  I live in Ohio.  If I sell a 2# item to a buyer in KY, it will obviously cost me (and the buyer) less in shipping cost than if I sold it to Nevada or Texas etc.  

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

Not sure what these maps even represent or what your point is...

One thing for certain, is you offer free shipping - The amount of fees you pay to ebay will be the same if you ship it next door or if you ship them to the farthest away zone, so whats the point of even testing the concerns using your situation - Also, if you live near the center of the US, that wont be a very good test either...

Most people who are complaining about a disproportionate amount of sales going to the farthest away zones live on or near a coast and use calculated shipping where their fees are getting driven up because an nonsensical amount of sales are landing on opposite coasts and shipping that might be $10 to a local customer end up being $25 to far away zones - It makes no sense where someone in CA buys something in NY when the shipping cost can be 2 to 3 times higher when they can likely buy the same item from someone local. Get the point?

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

i want a map with more color and possibly be of those that a scenery hidden in it that you have to off-focus to see. Thanks in advance. 😆

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

"After reading several concerns regarding shipping to states where shipping costs are the highest"

There are no states where shipping charges are higher than others.  The Post Office has the USA divided into zones.  Shiping between zone 3 and 4 will be cheaper than 1 and 6.  Packages cost more to be shipped further away from your location.  Shipping is calculated according to the distance, how far away it is and subsequently how much fuel and human energy will be needed for delivery.  

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

@nuclearomen wrote:

i want a map with more color and possibly be of those that a scenery hidden in it that you have to off-focus to see. Thanks in advance. 😆

It's called Magic Eye. And there already IS one in there, you just are having trouble seeing it 😁

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

For those who have missed previous discussions, the OP is addressing the hypothesis that eBay skews a seller’s listing visibility toward the states that are farthest from the seller, thereby earning more in fees from the higher shipping cost.

As was mentioned, the fact that the OP uses a flat rate for shipping ($0) makes their data useless in studying the issue.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

I think the OP was referring to some posts that have claimed that "eBay" is restricting the sales to "far locations" so that eBay can collect more fees on the higher shipping costs, but as has been pointed out.........  OP's example.............  along with being "too small" to come to any conclusion is also flawed by the fact that "free shipping" is included on a vast # of their offerings.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

It's called Magic Eye. And there already IS one in there, you just are having trouble seeing it 😁

3Ej8

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

@nuclearomen wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

3Ej8

LOL I recently just finished watching the entire series again.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

Lol...wow! Although the knee-jerk responses to this are certainly entertaining, the point that I'm making is that there really isn't an organized effort to show listings in states that require the highest shipping cost because of distance. That is why I showed the population map, clearly showing where the most buyers live, which makes it understandable.

Settle down people 😉

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

3Ej8

LOL I recently just finished watching the entire series again.

@iamalwaysright I'm currently re-watching them all on Netflix... for like the millionth time. Use to have the dvd box set years ago. Since they and other apps I have took The Office off their streams I have to watch something inbetween Ancient Aliens 😆

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

@wes-4507 wrote:

For those who have missed previous discussions, the OP is addressing the hypothesis that eBay skews a seller’s listing visibility toward the states that are farthest from the seller, thereby earning more in fees from the higher shipping cost.

As was mentioned, the fact that the OP uses a flat rate for shipping ($0) makes their data useless in studying the issue.

Their data is also useless because of their tiny sample size and because they are in Wisconsin,  where most of their potential buyers are  in USPS Zones 4 - 7 anyway.   The hypothesis about skewed sales is related to sellers on one coast getting more buyers on the opposite coast.  

Their lack of sales to buyers in Wisconsin or the Chicago area does support the hypothesis just a tiny little bit. It would be interesting to see a map based on more sales, from a seller on the east or west coast.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

2 WEEK TEST RESULTS!

@pls-consignments wrote:

Lol...wow! Although the knee-jerk responses to this are certainly entertaining, the point that I'm making is that there really isn't an organized effort to show listings in states that require the highest shipping cost because of distance. That is why I showed the population map, clearly showing where the most buyers live, which makes it understandable.

Settle down people 😉

@pls-consignments sorry, was caught up on the magic eye thing lol....good post btw! 

Message 15 of 46
latest reply