cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unsuccessful sale - advice needed

I sold my old laptop on ebay. The buyer received it and immediately requested a refund. ebay has decided that the item should be returned. The buyer returned the item, but in an inadequate condition, he removed some parts from it. What should I do now? I was left without money and a substandard product. Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: unsuccessful sale - advice needed

If you can quickly edit that to remove the buyer name, that would be a good idea or they will mod you.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

azh-71
Thrill-Seeker

Yes, he straight up stole from you and, unfortunately, there is not much you can do about it.  Ebay almost certainly will not side with you, even though they now that this sort of behavior is rampant.   That's why the advice always given here is "never sell your phone or laptop on eBay".

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@electronics510 wrote:

they will mod you.

Because calling out thieves by name is inappropriate.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

That's a risk you take selling electronics on eBay.  Was it working or being sold for parts?  If it was sold for parts you can prevent this by taking it apart to show the parts.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@azh-71 wrote:

@electronics510 wrote:

they will mod you.

Because calling out thieves by name is inappropriate.

Hey, trust me. The irony isn't lost on me!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

This was a common scam when I was a teenager who worked at an appliance store. Crooks would raid TV's, computers, and other electronic items for valuable parts, then attempt to return them for refunds. 

We always refused to accept back the defaced merchandise. But Ebay will require you to eat the loss. 

When you sell or buy on Ebay, you assume the risk that your trading partner will be a sophisticated crook who will successfully cheat you. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Did you try the police or any outside agency? Theft is still theft isn't it no matter how its done?  I tried to have eBay step in and tell a buyer to send back a supposedly defective item I sold, I had them dead to rights and caught in lie, sent it to eBay and I didn't even get a response from eBay on it.  Best way would be to try an outside agency, submit something to the better business bureau as well.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

First, go file a police report. Then file complaints with the FBI Cybercrime unit, Your State Attorneys General and any other consumer fraud division you can think of. Also be sure to send a letter to all your states elected representatives. The only way this gets solved is if enough people make a lot of noise. Make sure you name Ebay as a co-conspirator in the theft......they are knowingly allowing this. They know who the problem buyers are and could solve this overnight if they wanted to just by giving sellers back the ability to leave negative feedback

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@pcobra93 Make sure you name Ebay as a co-conspirator in the theft......they are knowingly allowing this. They know who the problem buyers are and could solve this overnight if they wanted to just by giving sellers back the ability to leave negative feedback

How in the world is Ebay part of this?? Who's to say that all sellers are honest and the feedback left would be honest? Ebay has a system in place- reporting buyer. Enough do it and it gets on their radar and then that buyer can longer perform refunds. It's a known thing, as there have been posters here crying about not being able to do a refund because they had too many.

Nobody knows, except the seller, if the item was really tampered with, was tampered with prior to the seller selling it (known or unbeknown to him).  OP has not even stated if item was used when he got it.

This is 100% he said/she said with no proof available of the item that was really shipped or it's condition.

OP- if all what you state is true, report the buyer to ebay. It won't help you get your $ back, but enough do it and that person won't be able to continue to do it to others. It's the only way this system can really work. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

auctionairecorp
Trailblazer

I have some worse news for you, as a result of getting ripped off, paying for return shipping  which ebay makes big profit on, you are going to be paying a higher final value fees (FVF) as a result of returns on your record. Google "additional final value fees" in ebay's help section.

eBay is an ongoing illegitimate enterprise.

The ebay beatings will continue until my morale improves.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Ebay knows EXACTLY who the "problem" buyers are. When they removed the ability for sellers to leave HONEST NEGATIVE feedback they became part of the scam. How many "reports" does a buyer get before they are kicked off?? How many unpaid item strikes before getting kicked off....etc...etc.... Ebay HIDES very important information on buyers. Yes, they are a co-conspirator......

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Lap tops are a risky thing to sell on ebay. It is a scammers dream right now. 

If you have not already refunded your buyer, you can go to refund and take up to 50% off claiming it was returned damaged. That is the best you can hope for.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@forward-motion wrote:

Lap tops are a risky thing to sell on ebay. It is a scammers dream right now. 

Encouraged and empowered by ebay , the scammers steal everything on ebay.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Ebay does NOT know who the scammers are until they get reported. Takes more than 1 report.

Do you not think there are dishonest sellers that would leave dishonest feedback? It's been proven it is anti-customer friendly to have a Retail Selling Site where Buyers can have bad things said about them on a publicly accessible forum. That's why no negs for buyers. Like a poster in the window at Target of your face stating 'bad person' etc. Will not ever happen and ebay decided this over a decade ago. 

Unpaid Strikes? There is a setting you can click in your preferences to stop buyers with 2 in 12 months from buying from you. 

How many reports? I'd say more than 1 would get their attention. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: