cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issuing a return as a seller

As a seller, can I issue a return for a customer when the original listing stated no refunds or returns? I'd like to get the item back and issue a refund to the customer. He states he cannot start the process because the ad stated no refunds/exchanges. can I initiate the return process and if so, how?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@jklinkhamme0 

There is NO such thing as no returns on eBay.  All customers have a 30 day money back guarantee for what ever reason.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  Here's a link to check out on the subject:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/manage-returns-missing-items-refunds-sell...

Happy Selling

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Your buyer would need to open a not as described case to get a return started that will supersede your no returns policy. Then you can accept the return issue the return label, wait for the item to come back to you then refund. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

"There is NO such thing as no returns on eBay.  All customers have a 30 day money back guarantee for what ever reason. "

This is not technically accurate.

Customers DO NOT have a money back guarantee for "WHATEVER REASON." I don't know why this keeps being repeated.

With a no refund policy, the customer must file a not as described case. No other type of case will trigger the money back guarantee in that circumstance.

Doesn't fit, don't like, too small, too big, no longer like etc don't trigger the money back guarantee in a case with the no refunds seller.

Yes, some few people will lie to make it a not as described case (and others won't. ) But there again, it's not a return for "whatever reason."

So a no return seller has protection from remorse returns. That a buyer MIGHT decide to lie does not rewrite the policy to 30 day returns for "whatever reason."

On a similar point that gets repeated too often here by a few posters,

No returns DOES NOT mean we don't want the good returned if the customer is dissatisfied. IT ONLY MEANS WE DO NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT REMORSE RETURNS. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The buyer should still be able to open a return. A buyer can open a return within 30 days in most categories after delivery regardless of the reason for the return or the sellers return policy.  

But if the seller has a no return policy they have the option of refusing the return and/or a refund IF the reason given is considered a buyers remorse reason. If a buyers remorse return is refused by a seller, there is a possibility that the buyer will open a claim with their payment provider. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The buyer is going to scam you!

They can open a case if they really want to, rather than contacting you that need help. 

RED FLAG!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I thought that the only way a buyer was prevented from opening a return is because they've opened so many that eBay has barred them from using the money back guarantee.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

That's the way that I understand it.  Or perhaps if a transaction is older than 90 days?

I'm not sure why some posters are suggesting that one can't be opened on a no returns listing unless it is for a not as described reason.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@jklinkhamme0 wrote:

As a seller, can I issue a return for a customer when the original listing stated no refunds or returns? I'd like to get the item back and issue a refund to the customer. He states he cannot start the process because the ad stated no refunds/exchanges. can I initiate the return process and if so, how?

@jklinkhamme0 

You can't initiate a Return, but the buyer can open one. You then approve the request and get the item back before refunding. It doesn't matter that the ad said 'no refunds/exchanges'... the buyer would open the Return from their Purchase History. They'll need to start by pressing the big, blue 'Return this item' button. Good luck.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Are you saying you decided (seller) that you want the item back for your benefit and buyer said " ok you can have it back"????

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The buyer (who is a repeat buyer) bought something that had the wrong size label in it.  I stated that the label was incorrect but stated that the item was a size large, apparently its actually a size extra large.  I will gladly accept the item back but the buyer cannot find anyway to request a return. I was wanting to initiate it on my end. If he has no use for the item I would rather have the item returned and issue him a refund.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

That is not true at all.  The money back guarantee policy only applies to items that are not received or items that do not match the listing.  "Buyerʻs remorse" is not covered if the seller has a "no returns" policy.  If a buyer is abusing eBay policy by making false INAD claims that is a different story.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@jklinkhamme0 wrote:

The buyer (who is a repeat buyer) bought something that had the wrong size label in it.  I stated that the label was incorrect but stated that the item was a size large, apparently its actually a size extra large.  I will gladly accept the item back but the buyer cannot find anyway to request a return. I was wanting to initiate it on my end. If he has no use for the item I would rather have the item returned and issue him a refund.  

Send this to the buyer.

Go to your purchase history and click return item and select, the item doesn't match the description as the reason.
The seller will have 3 days to accept the return and pay return shipping or refund without returning.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 13
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: