cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where and when can a Buyer confirm a Seller's refund?

Purchased an item and upon receipt, discovered that item did not work. Worked with seller for several hours to fix the item but we were unsuccessful.

I was unable to initiate a return or refund request through eBay.  eBay's message: 

"You can't open a return on eBay for this item.  Unfortunately, we can't process requests to return items not covered under eBay Money Back Guarantee.  Please contact the seller to return this item."

Per eBay's instructions, I contacted the Seller and requested a refund.  Seller sent back an eBay Message that simply said "Done".  However, I cannot see any evidence of a refund: 

• In my eBay Purchase History, the item appears as it has since the original sale - there is nothing that indicates that a refund has been issued. 

• In my PayPal account (my original payment method), I can see only my original purchase transaction and nothing since.  No refund.

Where and when can I see evidence that what the seller says is true - that a refund has been made?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Where and when can a Buyer confirm a Seller's refund?

@better_than_ice_cream wrote:

However, I cannot see any evidence of a refund: 

• In my eBay Purchase History, the item appears as it has since the original sale - there is nothing that indicates that a refund has been issued. 

• In my PayPal account (my original payment method), I can see only my original purchase transaction and nothing since.  No refund.

Where and when can I see evidence that what the seller says is true - that a refund has been made?

A refund will appear

- on the Order Details page (and on the Purchases page) at eBay (this email arrives second) and

- on the Transaction Details page (and on the Activity page) at PayPal (this email arrives first)

within one second after it is issued. From there, it will take awhile to actually arrive back at the original funding source.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@better_than_ice_cream wrote:

However, I cannot see any evidence of a refund: 

A refund will appear

- on the Order Details page (and on the Purchases page) at eBay (this email arrives second) and

- on the Transaction Details page (and on the Activity page) at PayPal (this email arrives first)

within one second after it is issued. From there, it will take awhile to actually arrive back at the original funding source.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you for your time and expertise.  Your reply confirmed my hunch. 

I contacted the seller who sent me some gobbledygook, supposedly proving that they sent a refund.  None of it made sense. 

I next contacted eBay Customer Service and they confirmed that no refund had been initiated.  After the eBay Rep reviewed the volume of eBay messages between me and the seller, including the seller's message that they had already processed a refund, the Rep initiated a return.

Moments later, the seller sent an actual refund.

Thanks again for your gracious help.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: