cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did eBay stop providing labels for Returns?

Not that I get many returns, but I've had a few lately where eBay no longer is providing the label to the buyer.

Now I have the options to:

1)  Buy the label myself:  (somewhere... somehow...) no assistance in doing this.

2) 'Confirm I sent the label' Uh... so where do I magically get this label?

3) Refund.

In this case, they are returning a $2 item, and in the past, I've always just had eBay send the label, and 99% of the time the buyer never actually returns the item.

However, if I have to go through the hassle of finding their address, and creating a label (remembering to ship TO me, which I feel like I'd forget 99% of the time to swap my address and theirs), I'll probably just refund.

This sets a bad precedence.  Hey, let's order, do a 'return'  = get stuff for free.

Or am I missing something on getting eBay to send the label as they've always done?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@rosszonebricks wrote:

In this case, they are returning a $2 item

in the past, I've always just had eBay send the label, and 99% of the time the buyer never actually returns the item. 

It just started yesterday

a0jdspfjdsojafpjsdpoajfojdsopfjpodsjpfn0.jpg

over a decade ago.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Afaik Ebay is still providing labels.  Did one about a week ago.  I can't imagine they'd stop, as it gives them more control over the process.  

Personally, I'd RATHER provide my own label.  IDK what kind of assistance you'd need?   Go buy your label, at your preferred vendor & send it.  Your buyer's address is on the Order Details page & the Shipping Labels page & probably several other places.   But I'm certain Ebay hasn't stopped doing it, they love to control every aspect of the tx & this makes it easier for them to see when it's arrived, etc. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If your customer opens "return request" (they can print label and you will be charged because you offer "free returns").    If you get rid of "free returns" customers will think twice before returning the item.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yeah, I get that I CAN look up the order detail, go to USPS com (Pirateship, ShipStation, etc.) and create a label, but the point is that it's no longer automated by eBay.  There aren't even any options to handle the creation of that label manually myself ON eBay.  I have to completely leave eBay to handle this part.  It's just so weird to me.

Perhaps this 'change' has not been rolled out to all sellers yet, but the options are completely gone for eBay to just 'send the label' as I'm used to.

I thought I had a screenshot of the options (or lack thereof), but didn't get one for this Return as I've already just refunded as it wasn't worth my time to do all this extra work eBay used to handle for me.

I don't really need 'assistance', just wondering WHY this seemingly odd change.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I was sent one through ebay as a buyer about a week ago & sent one through ebay as a seller, about 2 weeks ago.  In both cases, there were no free returns.  

I suspect it was just the options for that particular type of return you had OP & not a global change.   Ebay provided labels make things easier for the buyer, so I doubt very much Ebay will stop providing them.  Perhaps it makes a difference what kind of return policy the seller has, whether the option shows up?  I know I've seen different sets of options & I am no returns, so most of my situations would be fake SNAD's. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

"... but I've had a few lately where eBay no longer is providing the label to the buyer."

@rosszonebricks 

This has not been my experience. It's been business as usual. But my last Return was about a month ago...

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I didn't get a screenshot of the options on the return, but I realized I did still have the emails, and even the emails have changed. 

Old: (eBay automatically provided the return label)

old.png

New: (eBay not providing the label)

Untitled.png

If I get another return anytime soon (knock on wood hope not, of course)... I'll get a screenshot of the options, but I fear things are not '...business as usual'.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@rosszonebricks wrote:

In this case, they are returning a $2 item

in the past, I've always just had eBay send the label, and 99% of the time the buyer never actually returns the item. 

It just started yesterday

a0jdspfjdsojafpjsdpoajfojdsopfjpodsjpfn0.jpg

over a decade ago.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Got to look at the sold price and cost of label too. At $2 or any sold cost that would put me more in the hole when resold, I would refund and tell them to keep it. Been there done that. 🙂

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@nono-8172 Interesting.  However, the last return shown above where eBay did provide the label was also for a $2 item.

Maybe this is how it should have been for '... over a decade', and it was broken and is now fixed?

Entirely possible, actually.  Not like eBay at all to have things just broken for years. [ / sarcasm]  🙂 

Accepting as 'solved', since these were less than $3.50 items.  Thanks for that clip.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@rosszonebricks wrote:

@rosszonebricks wrote:

Old: (eBay automatically provided the return label)

old.png

New: (eBay not providing the label)

Untitled.png

If I get another return anytime soon (knock on wood hope not, of course)... I'll get a screenshot of the options, but I fear things are not '...business as usual'.

Interesting. However, the last return shown above where eBay did provide the label was also for a $2 item. 

Good examples. If both were $2 items,

1. the "we've asked the buyer to send the item back" means the buyer is responsible for  return shipping

- and an eBay return shipping label won't be available: They'll have to buy it themselves.

2. the "be sure to provide a return shipping label" means the seller is responsible for  return shipping

- and an eBay return shipping label won't be available: You'll have to buy it yourself.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: