cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sent a return label, that is addressed to me not him

I am returning two items, they are fake Kiton sweaters. I showed the seller where the previous label was removed (outline of label), he sends me a return label, but it has me as the recipient and him as the sender. I have emailed him, sent screen shots, no replies. I have 8 more days to get this back to him. Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Seller sent a return label, that is addressed to me not him

@thedadguy 

Well, without addressing the "8 more days" issue... did you open a formal Return request (and is this the label provided in the case), or did the seller message a shipping label to you?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@thedadguy wrote:

I have emailed him, sent screen shots, no replies. 

I have 8 more days to get this back to him. Any suggestions? 

I'm with empty graves since YOU HAVE A DEADLINE -- 8 more days to ship the return -- which means

-- YOU'VE ALREADY STARTED A RETURN REQUEST

-- then he uploaded his own (misaddressed) return label

-- for you to print and screenshot AND SHOW IT BACK TO HIM.

zgnisaer_0-1709439943910.jpeg

Do youse have a screen like this @thedadguy and hoose address is shining under "Ship the item to" there?

Just USE THAT LABEL. What's happening with the no replies is he hopes the misaddressed return label will be the reason you cannot get a refund, but nope he's wong:

On eBay when the sailor pays for the return label you will get your refund voluntarily or forced within 2 business days after tracking shows delivered/undeliverable/refused regardless hoose address is on it begosh that's how eBay returns work.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@thedadguy wrote:

I am returning two items, they are fake Kiton sweaters. I showed the seller where the previous label was removed (outline of label), he sends me a return label, but it has me as the recipient and him as the sender. I have emailed him, sent screen shots, no replies. I have 8 more days to get this back to him. Any suggestions? 

There's no way for that to have happened if you opened the return request (NAD) through the order. When the seller accepts a return request, the label is automatic and there's no way for the seller to alter the address. 

My guess is that there are 2 mistakes involved.

1. You contacted the seller to request a return rather than opening a case.

2. Seller accepted your request but instead of telling you to open a request, he purchased a new shipping label, as if he were going to send you another package.

I'm guessing it's a new seller who doesn't understand returns. Email the seller and let him know of his mistake, let him know you'll open an official return request and when he accepts, he can have the label go to you for the return.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@thedadguy wrote:

There's no way for that to have happened if you opened the return request (NAD) through the order. When the seller accepts a return request, the label is automatic and there's no way for the seller to alter the address. 

Untrue. I accept ebay returns all the time and never let ebay generate a return label for me. Sellers are allowed to provide their own label to the buyer thru the returns page. I myself use Pirateship for my return labels. That upload function in the returns page allows you to upload any postage label you want, to any address. The seller could have done that with a postage label with switched addresses.

Whenever the provided postage label scans as delivered (to any address), the bots will deem it as return delivered and the seller will have 2 days to refund or suffer the consequences. The OP said they already tried to contact the seller and got no reply. If I was the buyer I would first contact ebay to see if they can help. If they can't, then I would wait as long as possible within the 8 day period to use that label and essentially ship the package back to myself in order to keep the protection coverage.

Or actually you can just revise the return label and switch the two addresses before printing it out. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet and will probably run that idea by ebay CS first.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@thedadguy wrote:

he sends me a return label, but it has me as the recipient and him as the sender.

There is. Enable RMAs and you can upload your own label to any return in lieu of the eBay generated label if you so choose.

This is recommended for any seller shipping goods where they need sig conf or want insurance on a return label - both features eBay does not offer through their return service labels. Despite not offering it, eBay still requires sig conf on returns $750+ for protections.

Other sellers (like myself and @iamalwaysright ) find eBay return labels are priced much higher than what we can purchase elsewhere. I don't use eBay generated return labels unless I'm hoping for that up-to-$6 return label credit when a buyer is abusive @albertabrightalberta .

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Or actually you can just revise the return label and switch the two addresses before printing it out. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet and will probably run that idea by ebay CS first.

I don't recommend that and if the buyer were to ask CS, I think it's likely CS would tell them to use the label the seller sent as-is.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@thedadguy wrote:

he sends me a return label, but it has me as the recipient and him as the sender.

I have 8 more days to get this back to him. Any suggestions? 

There's no way for that to have happened if you opened the return request (NAD) through the order [and now have 8 days left to return the item]. When the seller accepts a return request, the label is automatic and there's no way for the seller to alter the address. 

I'm guessing it's a new seller who doesn't understand returns. 

I'm not a mental but a new seller usually sets Seller does not accept returns thinking that's the best choice. When that happens and the buyer starts a SNAD return request, eBay does not issue an automatic return label, leaving it instead for the new seller to manually handle the return label, the way it used to be.

So the seller can upload their own return label with their choice of any addresses, and that upload requires both the return label and its tracking number. Then when that tracking number @thedadguy shows delivered anywhere eBay allows the seller 2 business days to refund, or eBay will issue the refund for them.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Is the tracking number on the shipping label the same or different from the one on the package?

If it's a different tracking number, I'd use the label and ship it.

When it gets delivered back to you, you should get your refund.

Have a great day.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

We ultimately resolved it. I did open a formal return, included pictures and a polite description of the problem. He accepted the return, but sent me a label that was addressed to me. After a few more exchanges, he simply refunded my purchase and told me to keep the sweaters. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I had a screen shot that showed the incorrect label on the formal return. We solved it, thanks for all the feedback 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

If the seller is buying the label they are responsible for the item and getting it back themselves.

I'd just use the label.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: