cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning item

A garment sold 3 weeks ago, buyer left positive feedback and was really happy with the garment.

However they have now contacted me after wearing and washing the garment to say they want to return as it's defective. They claim that after washing it has run and ruined their towels. The garment is red and black, I uploaded pictures of the label in the auction stating 95% cotton and the label was pink therefore showing that some colour had run. They washed with lighter colour towels and I can't help but feel that if they had applied some common sense and washed with similar colour items this wouldn't have happened. I personally wash all new items with colour catchers or would have washed separately as it's a pretty intensely coloured item. I also don't know what temperature they washed on with the towels. I personally wouldn't have risked that wash. I think it's pretty common for natural fabrics to run and would still take precautions however many times washed. I'm not happy to refund but would like some advice on how to approach. Evidence was there in the original listing showing that it had run in the wash previously and surely I'm not responsible for the buyer not showing sense when doing their laundry? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Returning item

Sorry to say that even if you had posted all over the listing "this item will bleed and run. Wash with like colors" you would have the same choices.

If the buyer files a Not As Described case your choices are - refund in full or supply a shipping label, at your expense,  and refund upon return of the item.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

They have worn and washed the garment. You can no longer sell this item as new. If you choose to give them a refund, I would only give them a partial, and I would block them from future sales. I don't know who taught them to do laundry. You always wash new colored garments separate and you should wash them on cold.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Did the label have any washing instructions?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@benopiecat wrote:

Did the label have any washing instructions?

That doesn't matter when a NAD case is opened. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@craftytigerrebecca 

Although it's a shame that the buyer ruined the item, you need to approve the Return if the buyer has opened one. When it's returned to you, issue the full refund. After all, the only thing you have to save is your seller metrics. Be proactive. Good luck.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@meemaw2015 wrote:

They have worn and washed the garment. You can no longer sell this item as new. If you choose to give them a refund, I would only give them a partial, and I would block them from future sales. I don't know who taught them to do laundry. You always wash new colored garments separate and you should wash them on cold.

OP doesn't qualify to give a partial refund.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

If the buyer has filed an INAD, either refund and let them keep it or accept the refund, pay return shipping, then refund when it's returned.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It would make me really angry inside but I would refund and let them keep.

Why pay the money for a return when you probably can't list it again (if you can - disregard).

Yes I would be steaming angry. And then by tomorrow I would get over it, sooner if I could to not ruin my day.

Tell them to donate the item. 

At least they left positive feedback.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

"3 weeks ago'"..is the open claim beyond 30 days of receiving item in the mail?

If it's beyond 30 days...a buyer can open a claim beyond the 30 days refund...eBay allows it...doesn't mean the buyer can automatically get a refund...you can refuse the refund if claim was open after 30 days of receiving it.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: